5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 3:23 PM by John_Nolan

Printing double-sided selectively

Am05 Level 1

Is there any way I can set up my printer or my Indesign pages itself to selectively print some pages double sided and some as single pages?

I have a 60 page document which was originally set up to print as single-sided sheets. The client now decides that he wants some sections to have note lines on the back while other pages don't. This means selective double-sided printing.

My setup is very basic. I have 2 master-pages A & B. A master contains all of my copy and B master contains the note lines.

Now the issue is, how can I tell the printer to print some pages double-sided while others not to. I have 30 manuals I have to compile and it would be a tedious task to turn double sided on/off for each section 30x's over!

I'm working on a Sharp Multifunction office copier (MX-7040) and Indesign CS5.

• 1. Re: Printing double-sided selectively
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Two-sided printing is a printer function, not something you set in ID directly (though you can access it the print driver through ID's print dialog). I'm not aware of any printer that can mix and match one and two-sided printing in a single print job, so you'd probably need to set up the fiel with a lot of blank pages for the second sides of one-sided pages and print them all two-sided. Don't forget to check the Include Blank Pages box.

• 2. Re: Printing double-sided selectively
            Am05 Level 1

Hey Peter,

Love, love, love!! That's a pretty darn good idea! Question however— I have automated page numbering. How can I stop InDesign from counting those blank pages and continue numeration only on the pages where there is content?

This is currently how InDesign is interpreting the document. Instead of 3 and 4 for ONLY the content pages, it is numbering 3 and 5 because it is counting the note pages that'll be printed in the back.

Screen shot 2013-12-19 at 3.46.52 PM.png

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Printing double-sided selectively
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You'd have to manually start new sections and reset the numbering after each blank page. And to keep ID happy if you want to view logical page numbers you probably need to do it for the every blank page, too, and give them a differnt number style (even though you won't have page numbers showing on them).

• 4. Re: Printing double-sided selectively
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

Am05 wrote:

... How can I stop InDesign from counting those blank pages and continue numeration only on the pages where there is content?

You might want to consider including numbering for the blank pages, although the numbers do not need to appear on the page.

It might be disconcerting for the end user to scroll through a document with the random number sequence. Also, if the document goes to pdf, the page numbers in Acrobat's Page field will not coordinate with the document numbering. It is frustratting in Acrobat to type in 68 in the page bar and be taken to document page 42 (for example).

Use a master without Auto Page character for the blank pages.

If you wish to go with your proposed format, you would need to define new sections after each blank page and define the start number.

• 5. Re: Printing double-sided selectively
                  John_Nolan Level 1

Another idea might be to make a new document with the required number of pages, blank pages and "verso" note line pages and then place the pages of the original single-sided doc into it. It might be easier than dealing with the section numbering.