Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank Screen (White)

Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently attempting to assist a customer who is having trouble downloading an e-book into ADE 2.0. The installation process was successfully, their ADE copy was activated. When they attempt to download the e-book into ADE, the window will open as it should but the screen will appear blank (white) and remain that way. The title of the e-book will be listed at the top of the window as it should if the user has opened the e-book. File, Library, and Help options are missing and the customer cannot even close or exit out of the window without closing the program through Task Manager or another shortcut.

- They are using Windows 7 (32-Bit)

- I have given ADE permission to download and connect through their Firewall.

- Their firewall is using port 80 and NO CACHE is on.

- They are using Internet Explorer

- I have cleared their browsing history

- I have tried to run the program using Run as Administrator

Any suggestions/solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 20, 2013 Dec 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like typical ADE 2.0 rubbish.

~~~~~~~~~

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Some people have found ADE trying to upgrade automatically. 

It appears (not 100% sure) that if you install ADE2.0 as a new install (not as an upgrade) that your 1.7.2 will continue to run.

Probably best to say no if 2.0.x installation asks if you want to migrate your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for assisting me with this. Unfortunately, they are still having the same exact issue even after trying to use version 1.7.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm.

I'm not sure I can help much.  I can suggest ways to narrow down the issue, but not sure if I can suggest a solution.

Getting to a DRM book is a multipstep process:

1. Download the .acsm file that is a token for the purchace/loan, typically using a browser to the approriate website.

2. Open the .acsm file in ADE. 
    Typically, the browser will cause this step to happen automatically when it has finished the download,
    or when you click on the downloaded file.
    You should also be able to do this step by double-clicking the .acsm file in file manger (Window Explorer, Mac Finder etc),
    or by drag-dropping the .acsm file from file manager onto running ADE.

3. ADE then downloads a DRM .epub file (or .pdf file) which is the 'real' book.

4. You can the read the .epub file in ADE or use ADE to transfer to another device, etc.

The browser shouldn't make a difference.  It sounds as if it has done its part and downloaded a .acsm file.

Check if there is an appropriate .acsm file in your downloads directory.

If so, try drag-dropping it from Explorer (or Finder or whatever) onto a running ADE.

I guess that will give the same problem, but it will at least narrow things down.

See if there is a download .epub file, probably in Documents\My Digital Editions.

If so, see if you can open that by drag-dropping onto ADE.

You could try an alternative route and use Sony Reader to do the work that would normally be done by ADE.
Free download from Sony intended to run with Sony eReaders but works quite happily without.  https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines