14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2013 10:11 AM by Omke Oudeman RSS

Bridge slow to open - why?

Wildwood carver

Opening Bridge - shift/cmd/o - takes a very long time, 1min. 15secs. Before I installed Epson software it was instant. I've removed as much Epson dreck I can; is there anything else I can do?

• 1. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?
          Omke Oudeman Community Member

Using this command form PS needs to start up Bridge and this means first reading the cached data of the folder and build criteria before able of being used. However if it worked before then first thing to try is reset preferences. Restart Bridge holding down option key and from the provided menu choose reset preferences and then try again.

If this is a no go can you be more specific about system and versions as well as you machine specs, disk size and free space left?

• 2. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?
            Wildwood carver Community Member

Thanks for your swift response Omke. I should have said that I use an Intel based iMac, running OS 10.9 Mavericks. There are 350.43 gigs out of 500 available. Holding down the alt key doesn't produce a menu: how would I reset prefs. in these circumstances?

• 3. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?

Quit Bridge and try to open it from the dock (personal I prefer this way, in fact I let it open on start up because it is one of my main applications I need every day).

Hold down the option key and then click on the bridge icon in the dock, this should start bridge but instead of the app you should get a menu asking you to reset prefs and purge cache.

Start with the reset of prefs and try again.

BTW, I also banned all Epson software...

• 4. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?

Thank you once again. I followed your advice and opened Bridge from the dock, revealing the menu of which you spoke. I have reset the preferences, emptying the cache but still the beachball spins for over a minute after Bridge's screen appears. Any further ideas? If there is nowhere to go from here, I shall simply live with the irritation as I have retired from active service in the photographic field and no longer depend on Adobe for my livlihood.

• 5. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?
                  Curt Y Community Member

The slow loading is because Bridge is looking for something.  About all we can say is it takes some detective work on your end, there is no one cause.  Past culprets have connection to a network and anti-virus conflict.

You did not say which Bridge version you are using.  Did it ever work correctly?  If so what updates or software addiditons have you done?

• 6. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?

Hello S Curt Y. It's Bridge CS6, 5.0.2.4. I run it on an iMac, which I just deep cleaned, so I don't think it has a virus. It is on a local wireless network but it was when it was working properly. The only updates I have installed for Bridge are new camera RAW specs and not even those for a while. The main suspect seems to be Epson software. I shall not be buying any more of their products. Thank you for your input; I have my deerstalker and magnifying glass poised...

• 7. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?

I run it on an iMac, which I just deep cleaned,

Can you specify this a bit more, there are some 'cleaning' apps available that can do more harm then good I'm afraid

• 8. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?
                        Curt Y Community Member

Yes, if you ran a registry cleaner or a product like MacSweeper you have have deleted some good files.  If that is the case uninstall, run the Adobe Script Cleaner, then reinstall.

• 9. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?

Sorry for my absence, gents; life gets in the way... The application I used to clean the machine was 'CleanMyMac 2' I assume your comments regarding the removal of good bacteria apply to this as well as the other fine products available.

Curt: You suggest uninstalling, running Adobe Script Cleaner and reinstalling. Do you refer to Bridge or CleanMyMac? And I can't find the Adobe utility you suggest, only those for Acrobat and A. Reader

• 11. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?
                            station_two Community Member

Curt Y wrote:

Yes, if you ran a registry cleaner or a product like MacSweeper…

Well, there is no "registry" on a Mac, but Curt's is on the right track.

Never, ever run a program such as MacSweeper, MacKeeper, MacDefender, etc., on a Mac,

• 12. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?

Gentlemen (I assume Station_two is a gentleman, if not, my apologies): An uninstall/Adobe clean/reinstall has banished all my woes. ScrubMyBack or whatever it is called has also been banished. Thank you all three for your wisdom and Adobe for the platform. I wish you three heroes and all readers of these pages a happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

• 13. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?

Never, ever run a program such as MacSweeper, MacKeeper, MacDefender, etc., on a Mac,

If you really want a good maintenance application for your Mac try Cocktail (here is some info: http://www.maintain.se/cocktail ) that can run automatically on a daily base repairing permissions, rotating logs and clearing caches, pure maintenance and safe to use, keeps your Mac very healthy.

I know MacKeeper has a very aggressive advertisement campaign but I fully agree with the statement Station Two provided you.

• 14. Re: Bridge slow to open - why?

I assume Station_two is a gentleman,

I know he will be very pleased with this qualification :-0