7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 5:43 AM by Laubender

Script that will show the character count of all carriage resturns

Blujely

I have found a bug when exporting an indd to idml. If a a carriage return falls in a character count that is a multiple of 8000 + 1 it is converted to a paragraph separator (u2029). I am in the process of mass exporting around 3000 files to idml for a project. I am trying to come up with a way with a script to check the files to see if carriage returns exist in these locations. I am fairly new to scripting and don't know how this would be done. I know it is possible to get character counts but is it possible to check if a character exists in a certain character count from the beginning of a story? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Also has anyone else ran into this with exporting to idml? I have submitted a bug report. This is can be recreated across multiple computers, OS's and versions of InDesign.

• 1. Re: Script that will show the character count of all carriage resturns
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Blujely – to see that right:

if character \n is  at position 8001 (or a multiple of that) in, and here I'm not sure what you exactly mean:

1. The actual Story in an InDesign file?

2. The Story_xxxx.xml of the IDML file?

Counted from the beginning "<?xml" to the end "</idPkg:Story>"?

3. Something else?

What is the DOMVersion of the IDML?
          (Second line in a Story_xxxx.xml)

Could you detect that also with the Snippet format IDMS?

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

• 2. Re: Script that will show the character count of all carriage resturns
            Blujely Level 1

@Laubender

Thank you for responding.

I was referring to what you said in number 1 above. It is the character count from the beginning of any story. I have actually tested it on two different stories in the same file and if a paragraph return exists in the 8001 (or a multiple of it) from the beginning of each it will do it in each.

I hadn't tested it with a snippet but I did after you asked. I get the same result with that.

As for your question about the DOMVersion, I am not familiar with uncompressing idmls. I do however have a tool that decompresses them and gives me all the story xmls separately but the line you are refering to is not there. The tool I am using must be dropping them automatically. The second line of the story xml that I get has the story preferences.

• 3. Re: Script that will show the character count of all carriage resturns
              Blujely Level 1

Okay I have the DOMVersion it is 8.0

• 4. Re: Script that will show the character count of all carriage resturns

@Blujely – The DOMVersion number refers to the InDesign version number (in your case v8, InDesign CS6 or its CC equivalent).

A quick test in my InDesign CS5.5 v7.5.3 on Mac OSX 10.6.8 in this regard was showing no problem at all. DOMVersion 7.5.

I cannot test it right now with CS6, but we have to make sure, if the problem is

either:

1. At the sender's side (the export module – IDML Export or IDMS Export of InDesign)

or:

2. At the side of the reciever, could be InDesign's importing module or a 3rd party tool like a Translation Memory Software like Trados.

To check the sender's side:

If you have that Story_xxxx.xml file open, could you detect the wrong character already there? Search for a unique word near the problem character you have seen on the reciever's side.

What exact version of InDesign are you using to export the IDML/IDMS?

In InDesign go to the menu "About InDesign" and look after something like version 8.0.0 or 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 (the latest bug-fix version).

What software is showing the problem when you import/place/open the IDML/IDMS?

Uwe

• 5. Re: Script that will show the character count of all carriage resturns

@Blujely – about your initial question about showing a specific character at an n-th position in a story, you could use a simple GREP search in InDesign and restrict that search to a specific story (e.g. the story of a selected piece of text):

Search for the n-th position with the formular in dummy-syntax:

Positive look behind of any character in the exact length n-1 + character

E.g. if you want to look for a "carriage return", defined in GREP as \n at every 10th position, search for:

(?<=.{9})\n

In your case that would be:

(?<=.{8000})\n

Uwe

• 6. Re: Script that will show the character count of all carriage resturns

Sorry. That GREP cannot work or is leading to false assumptions…
                    Because "\n" seems to be not in the class of "." in GREP speak.

I'll try a different approach that includes all white space in the search with  character classes later.

Uwe

• 7. Re: Script that will show the character count of all carriage resturns

That GREP could work for every 10th position:

(?<=[\s\w]{9})\n

Or every 8001th position:

(?<=[\s\w]{8000})\n

Uwe