2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 7:30 AM by Reel Inspirations

New system quandry

Reel Inspirations

OK, here goes.

I do a fair bit of AE and C4D work as well as standard editing in Adobe CC and some older projects in FCP 7.x.

I currently own a Mac Pro 3,1 with dual quad core 3.0 GHz and 16GB RAM and a Quadro 4000 Mac graphics card. It's pretty long in the tooth.

I've contemplated purchasing a Window PC with i7 4930 CPU, etc. from ADK.

However, I've been reading up on the new Haswell-E that's supposed to come out Q3/Q4 of 2014. There is a lot of hype out there about how this is a 'game' changer for PCs.

Here's the deal. I need something now. I'm contemplating purchasing something like this: Apple Mac Pro 3.46GHz 6 Core QX 5.1 16GB RAM as I'll always have a Mac in my office even if I eventually go the PC route. I'd use this as a stop-gap.

http://tinyurl.com/oynkotr

Then, when Haswell-E comes out, get a PC.

I could wait for the new MacPro, but I really need something now as I have 2-3 project over the next month or so where I could really use a speed boost.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks much!

• 1. Re: New system quandry
          JEShort01 Level 4

My suggestion would be to go with the 4930k system now.

For me, considering your situation, it even sounds like a no-brainer!

Why?

1) PCs are better aligned with the proper hardware to do video editing now and likely into the forseeable future.

Note: Apple owned the prosumer video editing space at one time, but those days are over. Steve Jobs was big on doing "end-to-end" solutions where Apple controlled all aspects of the hardware, software, codecs, etc. And with the iPhones and iPads they still do maintain a lot of control and those remain very compelling solutions where they compete. For video, composting, etc. however, PCs are arguably doing a lot better than Apple at all price-points to run Adobe video editing and other high-powered composting software. PCs provide dual-Xeon solutions now, affordable nVidia cuda GPUs, lots of drive expandability, etc. The list goes on and on.

2) There is always a newer faster technology that is months away. Today's PCs really rock for what you are doing.

3) If you go with a PC now, you can upgrade significant parts of it without throwing the whole system out. Apple will never allow this kind of partial upgrade during the life of your system.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: New system quandry
            Reel Inspirations Level 1

Yeah, that's how I'm leaning at this point, just wish ADK wasn't 4-weeks out on their systems :-)