9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 10:25 PM by markGodriguez

cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween

markGodriguez Level 1

all of a sudden, i cannot shape tween the alpha of any lines i create. fills fade no problem but the outlines will not fade. it is even effecting previously created animations that have lines that previously worked using shape tween to fade. i can alter the shape of the line and that works fine, just cannot fade the alpha over the span of the shape tween

anyone have this issue?

thanks

Mark

• 1. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the borders and fills should be grouped and then tweened or put in different layers to tween independently.

• 2. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
            markGodriguez Level 1

thank you, but no that is not the case, first off you cannot shape tween grouped objects and second even trying to shape tween the alpha of a line itself, on it's own layer, has the same results

• 3. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

convert your border to a symbol and motion tween it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
                markGodriguez Level 1

thanks, i know i can do that but, it greatly slows down my workflow to have to convert lines to objects and then animate the lines inside the object, it also makes it a timing nightmare

the fact of the matter is, this used to work up until a few days ago and now it doesn't and i was trying to avoid having to reinstall flash if there was a solution

• 5. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
                  Nipun Asthana Adobe Employee

Hi,

I guess the strokes have always behaved the same way as you describe. Stroke properties like color,opacity,width,style etc. cannot be tweened through shape tweening.

You might want to try converting strokes to fills to get your desired result quickly. (Select All -> Modify Menu -> Shape -> Convert Lines To Fills..)

-Nipun

• 6. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
                    markGodriguez Level 1

Nipun, that would be incorrect. i have been using Flash for over 12 years now and you have always been able to shape tween color, opacity and width for lines. line style is the only thing you have never been able to adjust via shape tween.

using shape tweens the basis of my animation style this entire time

• 7. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
                      robdillon Most Valuable Participant

You don't say which version of Flash you are using.

In Flash CS6 and earlier you can use Shape Tween to tween the color and thus the alpha of any shape object on the stage. This includes the outline and the fill color(s) of a shape drawn using the rectangle or oval tools. You could also use Shape tween to tween the color and/or alpha property of a line.

In Flash CC, this was partially fixed along with many other useful and long established methods in Flash. While you can still use a Shape Tween to change the alpha property of a fill color in a shape, the outline of that shape will no longer tween as expected. Shape Tween also fails when trying to tween the color of a line, when drawn using the line of the pencil tool.

This problem is another in the long list of things that have been broken in Flash CC without reason or explanation.

• 8. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
                        markGodriguez Level 1

Rob, sorry, i posted this in the CC pro forum i guess though i should have still stated i am using CC pro.

yes, i am seeing many broken things that greatly affect my workflow that have up until this version been consistent in previous versions.

another fun thing they decided to omit was the ability to export the audio only directly from the FLA, you used to be able to export movie and wav file was an option. now you have to export the movie first as an MOV and then extract the audio using the media encoder

also the ability to cascade and tile windows automatically. i know you can undock them and resize them side by side but it used to do it automatically with the click of a button, again something that affected my workflow

at least i am not the only one seeing this. i sent in a bug report on it, perhaps if enough people report it, they might address it. i can see no reason why they would purposely make it where you can fade the fill but not the outlines via shape tween.

• 9. Re: cannot fade alpha of outlines with shape tween
                          markGodriguez Level 1

good news! just got this back from the Adobe pro bug department

Hi Mark

Thanks for reporting the issue. The bug has been marked for fix and will be available in next drop.

Thanks and Regards

Avinash

Flash Pro Team

yeah!!! thanks everyone for your input on this