7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2013 9:10 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

Premiere Elements 12 crashes when changing mode to Expert

RWW

I have installed Premiere Elements 12 on a second PC and the editor crashes when attempting to change the mode from basic to expert, even before adding any project clips.

The instal on the first PC works fine.

The at fault PC is running Win 7 Home.

The windows fault report is as followsFiles that help describe the problem:

C:\Users\Maxine\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4079.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\Maxine\AppData\Local\Temp\WER5CB0.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\Maxine\AppData\Local\Temp\WER62C9.tmp.mdmp.

RWW

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashes when changing mode to Expert
          A.T. Romano Community Member

RWW

What is the comparison between the resources of the first and second computer involved here?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

If you can get into the program long enough to Sign Out (Help Menu/Sign Out), please do that first to deactivate the program.

Then uninstall the program via the typical Control Panel route.

Next run the ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry parts).

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Read the instructions carefully. I have used this program without problems for several years for computer maintenance.

Reinstall the program with antivirus and firewalls turned off.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashes when changing mode to Expert
            RWW Community Member

Thanks for your response ATR,

I have undertaken all of the steps you recommended but the problem still persists.

The two pcs are similar - both Win 7 SP1 one with i7 processor with 8Gb RAM and the one with the issue has an i5 processor with 6Gb RAM.

Running as Admin does not solve the issue.

I can open the program and run in Quick Mode, load clips and there does not seem to be an issue but as soon as I change the mode to Expert it crashes.

This occurs all of the time even before loading any clips.

Thanks

RWW

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashes when changing mode to Expert

RWW

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the news is not better.

Is the video card and the video card driver the same in both computers?

If not, then make sure that the video card driver is up to date according to the manufacturer of the video card.

Check out the scratch disks to make sure that they are directed to a location with enough hard drive space to accept the files that are automatically generated in the run of certain project features. At the Scratch Disks set up the same for both computers? Any plug-ins on one computer that are not on the other?

If none of that works, it may be time to contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat. Doing that does not prohibit you from continuing our discussions on your program issues here.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

Please take a look at the above to determine if any of it has any impact on your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashes when changing mode to Expert
                RWW Community Member

What I did find when checking Cache File allocation in preferences is there was no file location allocated.

I entered the location as shown on the working PC. It did allocate space but not the same amount as in the other scratch locations, which was essentially all available spare disk space.

More importantly it did not fix the problem.

I will chat with the Adobe Experts when they come on line.

RWW

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashes when changing mode to Expert

RWW

Thanks for the update.

Let us see what Adobe Chat has to say about this situation.

But please let me clarify what you are reporting for the Scratch Disc location for Media Cache.

There are two Media Cache. One typically is in Document/Adobe/Premiere Elements/ and is Media Cache Files Folder. That one is involved with the conformed audio (cfa and pek files). The other Media Cache which has the Media Cache Database is involved with conformed video files (.mcdb files). The latter is fixed at its location is Local Disk C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common.

Are you saying that the Media Cache Files Folder is directed to a drive that shows less free hard drive space in preferences than the drive has when viewed on the computer elsewhere?

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashes when changing mode to Expert
                    RWW Community Member

Update:

Adobe Support identified the problem caused by the Nvidea Gforce 650M driver, or more specifically link file nvoglv64.dll.

It was suggested that an update of the driver would fix the issue. It did not.

In frustration I disabled the nvoglv64.dll file (by renaming it) and now I am able to use the program normally. Well I have not as yet burnt to disk.

What is annoying I was running PRE9 and a trial version of PRE11 on this pc without any problems.

That should point to an issue with PRE12 you would think.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashes when changing mode to Expert

RWW

Thanks for the good news..."now I am able to use the program normally."

I had no idea what the "nvoglv64.dll" was and what it was supposed to do. I did a quick Google search just now. It seems to be a compoent of the NVIDIA video card driver. It looks like it has been around a while, nothing new?

Have a great news year and thank for all the follow ups.

Best wishes,

ATR