8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 8:49 AM by nealeh

Can't update Camera Raw 8.3

kjblair

Just bought Elements 12 and it wouldn't import my RAW files from my Olympus OM-D E-M1 camera. I assumed that's a result of Camera Raw not being updated to the latest revision so I checked to see if there was an update available and sure enough, there was. That's where the good news ended. I can't run the update until I quit both Elements Organizer and Elements Auto Analyzer. Quiting Organizer is easy but there doesn't appear to be a way to quit Elements Auto Analyzer on the Mac. As a result, I can't run the update and can't import the RAW files. This is an example of poor programing on so many levels it's embarassing. At the moment, I have a totally useless piece of software.

I'd love to have a shortcut to work around the problem but Adobe really needs to clean up their act here.

• 2. Re: Can't update Camera Raw 8.3
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kjblair

What is your "Elements 12", Photoshop Elements 12 or Premiere Elements 12? Both come with Elements Organizer 12.

Have you tried to turn off the Elements Auto Analzyer in Adobe Elements 12 Organizer Preferences in your Mac computer environment? In Windows, the path is Elements Organizer 12/Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalysis. Not sure of path on Mac.

ATR

• 3. Re: Can't update Camera Raw 8.3
            A.T. Romano Level 7

kjblair

I do not think that a manual download will make the difference here between success and failure to obtain the Camera Raw 8.3. The answer should be to close the required programs. Force them if necessary. If you cannot do it, a person who uses Premiere Elements Mac should be along shortly to offer the how to. SG posted that recently. I am not a Premiere Elements Mac user, he is.

But it is worth a try. But you will need a link to where you can find a Camera Raw 8.3. The link already posted does not seem to supply that information.

You can try the following. The Camera Raw 8.3 downloaded from here

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't update Camera Raw 8.3
              nealeh Level 5

The only official way to update Camera RAW in Elements 12 is via the Help menu. Trying to update it with the full Photoshop version can be done, but this will prevent future automatic updates from working.

The Mac equivalent of the Windows Task Manager is the Activity Monitor. You should be able to kill the ElementsAutoaAnalyzer process from there.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Can't update Camera Raw 8.3
                A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Consider

Trying to update it with the full Photoshop version can be done, but this will prevent future automatic updates from working.

I would question that generalization. Specifically,

a. If you had Premiere Elements 12, updated Camera Raw from 8.2 to 8.3 manually using the files pointed to, if and when there is a Camera Raw 8.4, I do not see any problem updating Help Menu/Update or manually for that 8.3 to a projected 8.4.

In the case relating specifically to this thread, Premiere Elements 12, I see no reason why a manual install of 8.3 will prevent future updates of that Camera Raw version if there are more released that are compatible with 12.

b. However, if I had version 11 which probably did not support Camera Raw beyond Camera Raw 7.4 and did a manual install of 8.2 (which I know can be done), I would not expect to use Help Menu/Update to update that "8.2" to "8.3".

And updating manually with "full Photoshop version" here will get you the same Camera Raw 8.3 with all its "Elements" disabled features just as always when comparing to Help Menu/Updates  by the book.

I base the above on my personal experience with version 11, where I manually installed Camera Raw 8.2 and obtained the results cited.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can't update Camera Raw 8.3
                  nealeh Level 5

My comment, specifically relating to v12 rather than v11, was based on a statement made by the Adobe development team during the PSE/PRE12 pre-release programme in response to a query where I couldn't get the updater to complete and had copied the appropriate file across from my PS-CS6.

As no further updates were available during the pre-release I was unable to confirm if it would or wouldn't subsequently automatically update. I have had no problems with automatic updating in the released v12. If you should manually update ACR in PRE12, please confirm if subsequent update can be automatically applied.

Also note that the ACR plug-in for PRE (10MB) is almost a third the size of that for PSE (27MB) and PS (30MB for 64-bit, 27MB for 32-bit), although not a big concern with modern disk sizes.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Can't update Camera Raw 8.3
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

If you are at liberty to say so, were there others besides yourself who had a problem when

I couldn't get the updater to complete and had copied the appropriate file across from my PS-CS6.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can't update Camera Raw 8.3
                      nealeh Level 5

I really don't recall. It certainly wasn't widespread and in my case may have been linked to a catastrophic computer crash I  experienced around then (I ended up having to reinstall Windows). Note the failure was NOT caused by the Adobe software.

Certainly the retail version I have installed has properly updated ACR from 8.0, to 8.2 to 8.3. Although I did have to rerun it for 8.2 to 8.3 as the update manager was also updating another Adobe component at the time and ACR failed to update both CS6 and Elements. Rerunning updated fine.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale