2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 1:03 PM by jay fresno

List items - failed

jay fresno Level 1

Using Acrobat XI Pro, I have a list with 3 items in the list at the top of the page. Full Check gives the message "List items - failed."

The document was created in InDesign CC and the list was created using InDesign's list feature (not manually typed in numbers).

The Tags panel, in the section with the list, looks like this:

Untitled-1.gif

I know that the 3 list items, which are <L1>, are supposed to be under an <L> tag.

I don't know how to fix this error. Can anyone please help?

• 1. Re: List items - failed
          a C student Level 3

Hi Jay,

I am sorry, I cannot offer a simply solution. The tag structure you posted has a number of issues. It appears to be poorly auto-tagged. To do electronic document accessibility right requires knowledgeable, careful, manual inspection and repair action. .Auto-tagging just does not suffice. A good place to start is the World Wide WCAG 2.0 Techniques for PDF Accessibility (http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20-TECHS/pdf.html).

If you can post the document somewhere that I can take a closer look and offer more specific recommendations I will be happy to do so.

Hope this helps,

a ‘C’ student

• 2. Re: List items - failed
            jay fresno Level 1

Hi C student,

Thanks for your comments and for your kind offer to look at my file. In a separate post, you gave me a link to  http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20-TECHS/pdf.html

It's a good resource, but it didn't help to solve this problem.

If you are interested to know what happened and how I resolved it . . .

I think the reason the tags got messed up is that the 3 list items, which are at the top of the page, for some reason ended up at the botton of the Order panel with the highest numbers, instead of being numbered 1, 2, and 3. So I mnaually dragged the list items to the top, and the Order panel renumbered them properly. However, that caused a problem with the Tags panel and resulted in the Full Check error message. (Before dragging the list items, the Full Check did not flag them as errors.)

What I finally did was edit the InDesign file so that everything was anchored and into a single text frame. (Previously, there were two text frames that were threaded together in the right order.) Then I recreated the PDF.

In the new PDF, the list items are ordered properly and Full Check does not give a List error message.

I'm still mystified by some of the accessibility settings. As a newbee I need a very detailed reference that gives step-by-step information on how to solve problems, and nothing like that seems to be available.