3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 1:31 PM by RjL190365

GTX 660 TI or GTX 680 or GTX 780 for cs6

akosididot83

This will be the RIG i wanted to buy but i have concern on GPU. I really cant decide which one to buy pls help

Intel Core i7 4770K "Haswell" CPU

Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD

ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard

WD Green 3TB hard drive

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 RAM

Ax1200 power supply

H100i cpu cooler

2 x ASUS Pro Art 248Q 24" monitor

These are the GPU's i have in mind.

GTX 660 TI

GTX 680

GTX 780

money is not a concern, my concern is which one do better on cad, premiere pro cs6,

vegas, after effects cs6 and maya, i rarely play games.

If the difference between those 3 cards are just a few seconds cut on rendering then

there is no point buying the expensive card but if there some sort of a new effects that only

work on gtx 780 then ill buy it.

Also the power consumption if i can save more on electricity by using gtx 780 and can render fast then ill buy it otherwise pls suggest which is better.

Please let me know as i dont want to overkill everything i want my whole system to perform at least 80% of its power nonetheless im just wasting money.

also there are variants of memory included on each cards let say gtx 680 has 2gb and 4gb while gtx 780 have 3gb you think memory counts too?

If you want to suggest other GPU let me know.

• 1. Re: GTX 660 TI or GTX 680 or GTX 780 for cs6
          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not an answer about the cpu but I would go for a faster non green hdd.

• 2. Re: GTX 660 TI or GTX 680 or GTX 780 for cs6
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>WD Green 3TB hard drive

Very bad idea for video editing... you need at least two 7200 RPM drives... 1st for Windows and all programs... 2nd for project and video files

• 3. Re: GTX 660 TI or GTX 680 or GTX 780 for cs6
              RjL190365 Level 4

As John stated, that WD Green is not a good choice for a hard drive in an editing system, primarily due to its power-saving spin-down-to-a-complete-stop feature that cannot be defeated at all whatsoever (this means that the hard drive will spin itself down to a complete stop in the middle of an editing or encoding session, which can - and does - make an NLE operate very unstably). In addition, that WD Green spins at only 5400 RPM even at its full speed, which will affect both sequential transfers and access performance.

Other than that, there is little reason to get a GTX 780 for such a mainstream Haswell platform if you're going to use the GPU strictly for GPU-accelerated performance in the Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, especially if that WD Green maxes out at only 120 MB/s in sequential transfer speed and you're not planning to put any additional spinning hard drives in that system. And two of the other cards on your list (the GTX 660 Ti and the GTX 680) are now EOPL (End Of Production Life). The replacement for the GTX 660 Ti is now the GTX 760 (which, by the way, performs faster than the GTX 660 Ti). But given your planned disk setup, even the GTX 760 is overkill. With a maximum hard disk transfer speed of only 120 MB/s, you're better off with the GTX 650 Ti (non-Boost) or even the plain, non-Ti GTX 650 for that system. (I'd recommend the GTX 760 only if you're planning to get two Seagate 7200.14 hard drives and configure those in a RAID 0 configuration, and you're planning to overclock the i7-4770K moderately.)

As a matter of fact, with such a slow disk for media, projects and exports, you might want to step all the way down to a GT 640 (the new V2 version with DDR5 VRAM): Although that card has only a 64-bit memory bus, its DDR5 VRAM still has 40% greater memory throughput than the original GT 640 (which used 128-bit DDR3 VRAM): 40.1 GB/s versus 28.5 GB/s.