9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2007 1:06 AM by gdoumenc

Eclipse memory

gdoumenc Level 1
      I have often a lack of memory on Flex3 builder (Eclipse 3.3.1 / Builder 3.0 beta 2)... I'm alone? (--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 512m
      -vmargs
      -Xms128m
      -Xmx512m)
        • 1. Re: Eclipse memory
          batman14
          No I have also a huge memory consumption. Ten classes in two projects open, and that's immediately 400Megs in my RAM. Really too much...
          • 2. Re: Eclipse memory
            Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee
            Please give our new beta 3 release a spin, as it should improve memory usage somewhat. You will always see a bug chunk of memory usage as a baseline, but it should only rise slowly from there as you open projects and files. For example, using 300 MB with one project open does *not* mean Flex Builder will use anywhere near 600 MB with two projects open.

Matt Chotin has some good tips on tuning memory settings here: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mchotin/archives/2007/08/performance_tip.cfm

There is also a similar post on Eclipse in general here: http://eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t61618.html

Hope that helps,

- Peter
            • 3. Re: Eclipse memory
              gdoumenc Level 1
              Thanks for the reply..

I've already teted all tips (that I can.. I recommand that one personnally : Memory control plugin : help > software updates > find and install, and selecting a new remote site of " http://www.kyrsoft.com/updates/")

One one them if very usefull : Have less Flex project you can... But one very usefull feature of Flex is RSL.. So this means that it is a (ver)y good idea for (real) project to have several Flex lib subprojects.. So it should be very important for Flex Builder to be able to manage several projects in same time.. Make sens?
              • 4. Re: Eclipse memory
                How much does your memory usage increase for each project that you open?

One thing that may help is closing unneeded projects. This reduces the project's footprint nearly to zero but it's still listed in the Navigator and can easily be re-opened later when you need it.

- Peter
                • 5. Re: Eclipse memory
                  gdoumenc Level 1
                  Sorry for this late answer but I wanted to check everything to give you "real" info.

First I reinstalled FlexBuilder (not as a plugin to be sure to have only needed)

About 25M per project (small projects...) but what suprised me more is that after any compilation (all projects clean for ex) I lost memory...

Guillaume
                  • 6. Re: Eclipse memory
                    That sounds a bit high. Were you measuring the difference between 0 and 1 open projects or between N(>0) and N+1 open projects? Roughly how many classes do you have in each of your projects?

Also, note that the way Java memory allocation works makes it difficult to gauge how much memory a specific action (e.g. clean build) uses, or whether that memory is leaked vs. freed up afterward.

All that said, memory usage is definitely something we are focused on improving.

- Peter
                    • 7. Re: Eclipse memory
                      gdoumenc Level 1
                      quote:

Also, note that the way Java memory allocation works makes it difficult to gauge how much memory a specific action (e.g. clean build) uses, or whether that memory is leaked vs. freed up afterward.

Sure, that's why I'm trying carefully and not really sure of what I discover.. To answer :
                      I'm comparing N and N+1 projects.
                      I've never had this issue in FB2.
                      Also if I clean all, I 'lost' about 20M after full build, then after GC I 'win' only 15 M..
                      I don't use the design interface.
                      I have about 20 classes per project, and I use mainly dynamic code, so no huge component...

But as you said, this memory leak is really not clear... Hope that's help..
                      • 8. Re: Eclipse memory
                        gdoumenc Level 1
                        quote:

The preview was good but the bullets are lost on the reply.... So I repeat without them..

Sure, that's why I'm trying carefully and not really sure of what I discover.. To answer :
                        I'm comparing N and N+1 projects.
                        I've never had this issue in FB2.
                        Also if I clean all, I 'lost' about 20M after full build, then after GC I 'win' only 15 M..
                        I don't use the design interface.
                        I have about 20 classes per project, and I use mainly dynamic code, so no huge component...

But as you said, this memory leak is really not clear... Hope that's help..
                        • 9. Re: Eclipse memory
                          gdoumenc Level 1
                          I don't know if this can help but I have also (sometime) some warnings repeated as if the previous "results" of a compilation were not deleted (so collected by the GC..)