21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2007 12:55 AM by Newsgroup_User

".dir movie" file trouble

bag man
      I have a group of files I need to open and their extension is ".dir movie" (not just .dir but the whole thing .dir movie)
      The studio I got the files from insist that they are Director files but try as I might, I can't get Director to open these files (I have had several long distance calls with them and they keep saying the files should just open in Director). I have tried changing the extension to .dir or .dcr but that doesn't seem to work. I have also tried to open these files in browsers, and with both Quicktime and Windows Media Player. Nothing seems to open them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx
        • 1. Re: ".dir movie" file trouble
          Wolfgang Herold Level 2
          i suggest to rename it to ".dir" .
          Maybe this are files for Mac ( does not need an extension) and
          somebody wrote the extension, thinking this is the right
          for Windows users. As i had never Directorfiles from a Mac user
          i cannot promise if that really works.

regards
          Wolfgang
          • 2. Re: ".dir movie" file trouble
            Level 7
            The extension for Director movies should be just plain .dir. On a Mac,
            it doesn't matter, and they should open file either way. If the folks
            that made the movie changed it in some way that cause the file to be
            renamed with the ".dir movie" extension, then they may have also
            corrupted the file or something. When I rename some of my old files to
            "filename.dir movie", they do not open on Mac, but they can open on PC.
            Weird. But they do open when renamed correctly.

Anyway, perhaps the files are in a different version that you have?
            Older files from, for example, Director 7 may not open in Director MX
            2004 and vice versa.
            • 3. ".dir movie" file trouble
              bag man Level 1
              That was the first thing I tried, and unfortunately it didn't work. I've also tried changing the extension to .dcr and .dxr as well.
              • 4. Re: ".dir movie" file trouble
                McFazstp Level 1
                Do you have the same version of Director as the studio?

• 5. Re: ".dir movie" file trouble
                  bag man Level 1
                  I'm just trying to open them with the MX 2004 trial version. If I can open them, we will purchase a copy but no sense buying a full copy if they're not going to open.
                  • 6. Re: ".dir movie" file trouble
                    McFazstp Level 1
                    How big are the files? I could try opening one if you upload it somewhere. I'm using MX2004 on a Mac.

If they are coming from a Mac to a PC you may see hidden system files with the same name preceded by dot underscore. You won't be able to open those.

ie.
                    My Movie.dir
                    ._My Movie.dir

• 7. ".dir movie" file trouble
                      bag man Level 1
                      I have downloaded Director MX 2004 (Trial version) on a widows machine and on a Mac here at work and neither one will open the files. I just get the error message " this is not a Director file" and then usually Director crashes at this point.
                      • 8. Re: ".dir movie" file trouble
                        Level 7
                        Try opening the file in a text editor like Notepad on PC or TextEdit on
                        Mac. If it is truly a Director file, then you will be presented with
                        the default fontmap followed by the scripts followed by a bunch of
                        binary (unreadable) junk. If it does not look like that, then it is not
                        a Director file.
                        • 9. Re: ".dir movie" file trouble
                          bag man Level 1
                          That's a great idea, unfortunately these are pretty huge files 200 to 500 MB each, so they usually just hang, when I try to open them with a text editor. I did manage to get one to open on our quad core mac and looked at the first few lines of code (before it crashed) but it was all just gibberish nothing actually readable.
                          • 10. Re: ".dir movie" file trouble
                            bag man Level 1
                            This was the first line of gibberish when I opened it in a text editor. The large underscores appeared as a series of squares but otherwise the same:

___ mdatftypftypftypftypftypftyp____wide____mdat@dO<__
                            • 11. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                              aldus Level 1
                              Instead of trying opening a director-file with a text-editor (goodness) i would use
                              an hex-editor like hex-edit ( http://www.ifd.com/product_info.php?products_id=87) to take a look
                              for the files - to me it sounds that the file is compressed by zip or stuffit or the "type/creator" is wrong- AND! changing the suffix will always (!) causes problems - even no idea why someone should try to open a director
                              movie in QuickTime or MediaPlayer??????
                              At last - the idea to place it somewhere for a download is imho a good one: more eyes to take a look at it
                              and analyse it
                              Regards
                              Aldus
                              • 12. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                Applied CD Level 1
                                Changing the file extension and passing it though zip or stuffit is a good idea. I’ve had clueless clients compress files and then change the file extension back to the original.

Trying the file in Media Player and/or QuickTime isn’t necessarily a bad idea. I’ve had clients confuse the distinction between a Director movie and digital video. 500Mb is huge for a Director file but perfectly reasonable for DV … it’s a long shot, but since it only takes a second to check I’d try various common video file extensions MOV, AVI, MPG, WMV etc…
                                • 13. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                  aldus Level 1
                                  Instead of try/an/error i would prefer to open the
                                  file with an hexeditor, making a screenshoot from the
                                  header of the file, place it somewhere on the net and asking ;-)
                                  Easier than placing 300 +x MB for downloading ...

Regards
                                  Aldus
                                  Image of the first Bytes of an valid .dir File
                                  • 14. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                    bag man Level 1
                                    Unfortunately this stuff is unreleased copyrighted material (from an upcoming movie) so I can't post it for anyone to look at. But I didn't think the files might be compressed with stuffit or zip. I'll try uncompressing them and see what happens. Thanks for all the suggestions.
                                    • 15. &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                      McFazstp Level 1
                                      You may have been on the right track with Quicktime. I think mdat indicates the start of movie data in a Quicktime mov file.

If it doesn't open in Quicktime perhaps you need to upgrade your player?

Found this link Quicktime Tags apparently the ftyp tag is only used in mp4 so you might want to try that.

• 16. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                        bag man Level 1
                                        Wow this is just driving me nuts.
                                        I've tried renaming the files with the .mp4, .mov, .moov, .qt and about 2 dozen other video format extensions. Nothing seems to open them. I've tried renaming them with .zip or .sit and opening them with stuffit or winzip (to see if they'd been compressed). no luck.
                                        It looks like I'm just going to have to go back to the studio and ask them to resend the file in a file type I specify (there goes another lost day in the schedule)
                                        • 17. &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                          McFazstp Level 1
                                          What version of Quicktime do you have? There are a few players out there if you Google mp4 player. Don't know if you'd have any luck with them.

Just a thought but I don't suppose there is one dir movie you can open that works as a custom controller for the other movies that have been doctored to prevent them working without the controller?

• 18. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                            bag man Level 1
                                            The Mac here at work has the most recent version of Quicktime pro (7.3). My PC just has the player. I guess I can try another MP4 player.

As for the second half of your question, I haven't been able to open any of these files yet.
                                            • 19. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                              Level 7

"bag man" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                              news:fjk9c3$rhe$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              > This was the first line of gibberish when I opened it in a text
                                              > editor. The
                                              > large underscores appeared as a series of squares but otherwise the
                                              > same:
                                              >
                                              > ___ mdatftypftypftypftypftypftyp____wide____mdat@dO<__
                                              >

Hi,

The files you have are QuickTime files, or part of it.

mdat and ftyp are part of the QuickTime specification.

What is wrong with the files I do not know of course, but I am
                                              guessing it is only one the forks of the Mac file.
                                              Ask them HOW they created the file, and with what version and platform
                                              exactly.

How did they send the files to you? On CD / DVD?
                                              Or did you download from a server?

Richard.

• 20. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                                bag man Level 1
                                                They were downloaded from the studios FTP site, and obviously they had their file extensions rewritten at some point.
                                                I don't know what the $#*&^ hang up is, but they won't just give me the phone number of whoever created the files. It would make this whole process a lot easier. I think I'm just going to have to wait until someone there can remake the files as quicktime or WMV files.
                                                • 21. Re: &quot;.dir movie&quot; file trouble
                                                  Level 7
                                                  bag man wrote:
                                                  > They were downloaded from the studios FTP site, and obviously they
                                                  > had their file extensions rewritten at some point.
                                                  > I don't know what the $#*&^ hang up is, but they won't just give me
                                                  > the phone number of whoever created the files. It would make this
                                                  > whole process a lot easier. I think I'm just going to have to wait
                                                  > until someone there can remake the files as quicktime or WMV files.

If it is a case of a video file with a wrong extension, this might help:
                                                  http://www.snapfiles.com/get/avicodec.html

"AVIcodec is a very useful tool that helps you identify the codec used by
                                                  video files. "..."While AVIcodec does not provide you with the codecs, it
                                                  makes it easy to identify the exact video type and the codecs required (if
                                                  any)."

I haven't tried it.

Andrew