14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 2:40 PM by Steve Grisetti

Prel refusing to play prel files

Spencer Fitz-Gibbon

I created, edited, rendered, saved and watched 4 films in prel. But after restarting my computer it wouldn't let me watch them. An error message said prel wouldn't support that type of file (but they were prel files!) or that maybe a codec was missing (but if so, how did I manage to edite, save, render and watch them in the first place?). One of these films is really important and I need to retrieve it urgently. What can I do?

• 1. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files
          nealeh Level 5

A .prel file is not a video file. It is a project file that defines to PRE all the editing steps you have applied to a set of media. To open the .prel file use File> Open Project within PRE.

To save a video file that can be viewed, you use the Publish+Share feature.

In the event that something may have corrupted your .prel file, search for the folder I:\Users\your user id\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save\. In there you should find autosaved previous versions of the file that may open.

In case you need further help, when replying please let us know what version of the software and what OS you are using (the above assumes PRE12 under Windows but is broadly applicable to all versions).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files
            Spencer Fitz-Gibbon Level 1

Thanks for trying to help, Neale. Please bear with me, I'm new to this.

Let me start again. I open up Adobe Premiere Elements where the previous day I have created some films.

I go to Existing Project.

I try to open one of the projects, and it displays none of the pictures it previously did - just the red image with "media offline" in numerous languages, where previously my edited pictures had been. When I "play", it goes through it as normal, but playing neither pictures nor sound.

Oddly enough, it does show the captions I had added when editing the film.

But I can't get into my actual films in order to finish the edit and then publish.

The previous day I didn't have this problem.

So what's wrong, and what do I need to do please?

• 3. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files

Also, Neale, Publish + Share doesn't come into it - I wasn't trying to publish or share. But since you raised it, I've just clicked Publish + Share, and it told me the media was offline. I have no idea what that means (except that it clearly wouldn't publish or share it anyway).

Then I searched for the auto-saved version as you suggested, but exactly the same thing happened as before - it wouldn't open it - it gave me the same error message, that files of that type were not supported, or that there was a missing codec.

I'd be really grateful if you could help please.

• 4. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How are you trying to open your .prel file?

You must use File/Open.

As Neale says, .prel files are not media files, so you can NOT open them using Add Media.

• 5. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files
                  nealeh Level 5

OK, Media Offline means that it cannot find your project assets, video, stills, audio. They need to be in the same place as when you added them to the project. Might they perhaps have been on a removable hard disk or thumb drive? If so that needs to be connected and have the same drive letter assignment as when you originally created the project. Or perhaps you connected your camcorder and linked the assets directly to the project rather than importing the video clips to your hard disk?

Now if it happens that it is just a drive letter assignment that is the problem then just reconnect the first file, and the rest will automatically reconnect.

After we hear more detail from you about where your assets were stored and how you imported them to the project we'll be able to better advise you, including suggestions on how to organise your future projects to avoid this problem again.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files

Thanks for trying to help, Steve.

But I don't understand your response. I don't think anybody said anything about trying to open a file using add media.

I either open Premiere Elements, go to Existing Projects and it asks me what file I want to open (then it gives me the aforementioned error message).

Or I go to libraries/videos/etc etc and into my filining system until I find the right one, and double-click on the icon that says which file it is (and then it gives me the aforementioned error message).

Please could you read my above posts again? I think that would help you to understand my problem. I'm grateful for any help you can give. Thanks very much.

• 7. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Spencer Fitz-Gibbon

Some additional thoughts on your situation...

Are your files used in the project stored on an external hard drive? If so, a quick "rule in, rule out" is to check the drive letter of that external hard drive to determine if the drive letter has changed on its own after you saved/closed your project.

If you are doing plug-ins and outs of drives, drive letters can change.

The generalized version of correcting the drive letter in such as case is (using Windows 7 64 bit computer)

a. Right click "Computer", select Manage, under Manage select Disc Management.

b. Find your drive, right click it, and select Change Drive Letter and Paths

c. Follow the instructions for there.

Please let us know if any of the above applies to your situation and the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files

Are you able to open a new project?

If so, what are the media files in the project that's causing your problems? What model of camcorder did the video come from and what format and resolution is it?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

• 9. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files

Thanks Neale. I imported all the media from my camcorder. I put it into into a folder I'd created called "Project rushes". I added it from there to the four new films, edited and rendered and saved them.

I've just checked one of the files in "Project rushes" and the short piece of film played okay. So it seems the original rushes/media are still okay, sitting here on my computer.

As I said, the next day, I booted up my computer in order to have a final edit and then upload one of the films to YouTube, but I couldn't watch it, or any of the other 3 edited films. Specifically, where the screen would normally show my pictures, it was showing that red "Offline" screen - and as I said, when I "played", it went through the film as it normally would, but the only picture was that red screen the whole time, and there was no sound - but NB the caption that I'd added at the beginning of the film did show up, and a URL I'd added as a caption later in the film also showed up at the appropriate place.

Just no sound or pictures!

I'm worried that if I re-make the film from scratch the same thing might happen again, so I'm trying to find out what's gone wrong. What's this about needing a diffferent codec? (I stress that the films had played okay throughout the editing process - it was only after I'd shut down and booted up again that I couldn't get the pictures to display.)

Thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Spencer Fitz-Gibbon

I have read your latest post (appearing before my latest post) where you believe that your question has not been understood.

I based my post on what you wrote

I go to Existing Project.

I try to open one of the projects, and it displays none of the pictures it previously did - just the red image with "media offline" in numerous languages, where previously my edited pictures had been. When I "play", it goes through it as normal, but playing neither pictures nor sound.

Oddly enough, it does show the captions I had added when editing the film.

But I can't get into my actual films in order to finish the edit and then publish.

The previous day I didn't have this problem.

That tells me that you have a disconnect between the the project and the files that you imported into the project. There are several possibilities for that happening.

a. storage of the originals on an external hard drive where the drive letter has changed

b. moving or deleting the originals after the project has been saved closed.

c. other

You may know this already, but I will mention it anyway. The files that you import into the project are copies of the originals location on the hard drive save location. The project copies trace back to the originals. If the originals are not at that hard drive location when you re-open the project, then the missing media syndrome, typically characterized by colorful media offline displays and messages of "Where is the file...?"

Please review and then let us know if we are going in the right direction on this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files

Steve: I've just started a new project, imported a clip of film from my "Project rushes" folder, rendered it, saved it, closed down Elements, opened it up again and it seems fine.

The camera is a Sony HDR CX410.

Re Apple Quicktime, I don't have that.

To answer an earlier qiestion, I have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows.

Re "what are the media files in the project that's causing your problems?" - sorry if I haven't been clear enough: I imported the film from my camcorder; stored it in a folder I called "Project rushes" - imported the relevant bits to a New Project - edited it into a film called "Christmas bin collections" - edited, rendered, saved "Christmas bin collections" - shut down my computer and went to bed - booted up my computer in the morning - opened "Christmas bin collections" to add a logo to the end (intending to then publish it to YouTube) - and the aforementioned problem occurred. Namely, the only picture showing when I played it was the red "Media offline" screen (except that the text captions I had added did show up). I closed the file and tried to open through Libraries/Videos etc and when it comes to double-clicking the icon to open the file, it asks me to select a file and then won't open it - the error message says it doesn't support that type of file or maybe there's a missing codec.

Hence I am baffled.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks again.

• 12. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files

Hello A.T. Romano,

Re your: " The project copies trace back to the originals. If the originals are not at that hard drive location when you re-open the project, then the missing media syndrome, typically characterized by colorful media offline displays and messages of "Where is the file...?" "

Again I've gone through Libraries/Videos etc to the folder I called "Project rushes" - I've lifted a different clip - I've added it to my new test file via Add Media - I've used click-and-drag to put it into the timeline - I've edited it and the other clip there into a shorter film - I've rendered and saved it, and it all seems to work - so it seems pretty clear that my original pictures are safely stored on my hard drive in Libraries/Videos... etc.

• 13. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files
                                  nealeh Level 5

Spencer Fitz-Gibbon wrote:

I imported all the media from my camcorder. I put it into into a folder I'd created called "Project rushes".

And that folder has exactly the same drive letter that it had when you first added the files?

Spencer Fitz-Gibbon wrote:

I've just checked one of the files in "Project rushes" and the short piece of film played okay. So it seems the original rushes/media are still okay, sitting here on my computer.

Just to ease any concerns, PRE is a non-destructive video editor, so it won't delete or touch your original video files in any way.

Codec is derived from enCOder / DECoder and as far as PRE is concerned is required to encode or play back video file formats. So your case is quite perverse if it worked, but after a reboot didn't. You didn't happen to install or uninstall any other software between those reboots?

It might help if you could analyse your source video files and post a screenshot here (google for and use either GSpot or MediaInfo to analyse the files). Although I'm not hopeful that will help as it is the offline error your getting.

Have you tried reconnecting the first of those files?

Could you just start a new project, import one of your files and see if that imports and plays back in the preview window. If it does, save the project reboot and try again.

If you're feeling adventurous you could open the .prel file with notepad and search for 'ActualMediaFilePath' - this should be followed by the path it is using to find one of your media files. Does it match your 'Project rushes' folder?

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: Prel refusing to play prel files

And just a reminder that the latest version of Quicktime from Apple is among the system requirements for this program.