1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 3:52 PM by JEShort01

confused which mobo to buy OC beginner

akosididot83

Im about to replace my old i7 950 to the new i7 4770k haswell processor because of performance and power consumption.

I'd like to pair it with a 32GB ram and Overclock my 4770k up to 4.2ghz only or higher if its still possible on non airconditioned 20 sqm room.

I have a 256gb Crucial m4 SSD, 3 x 3TB red WD HDD connected on DROBO 5. And just now i bought this monster GTX 780 TI.

I am really confused on which board to buy. Features i'd like it to have are listed below

1) WIFI bluetooth built in

2) any LAN booster (if exists)

3) I have no plan on SLI so board with a lot of extra pci-e slots are just a waste.

4) i'd like it to have a thunderbolt (as what i understand its much faster than usb3) but still im fine with my USB3 thats what i use on DROBO but if thunderbolt is faster then its a must.

5) of course USB 3's loads of it

6) PCI 3.0 since i have gtx 780

7) can do overclocking easily

8) i like this SSD Secure Erase idea from asus maximus boards (i hope its not a gimmick)

9) this too ROG RAMDisk if its true

10) Sata 6/gbps

I will be using this rig on a video / photo editing.

here are my choices: (please suggest any other better if you know one)

MSI z87 xpower

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA

MAXIMUS VI hero

sabertooth z87

GA-Z87X-UD7 TH

GA-Z87X-OC Force

Thanks in advance guys i really hate those shiny marketing gimicks that have no use in real life and just adds extra bucks on its product..

• 1. Re: confused which mobo to buy OC beginner
          JEShort01 Level 4

Wow, my reply may be long, but I have a lot to say regarding your current plans! Trust me, I'm trying to help you and you do appear to be a bit off track.

First, if you want more speed for Adobe Premiere Pro you need a MUCH better balance of all the components (cpu, ram, gpu, drives, interfaces, drivers, etc.). There are some slight exceptions, but when you have some components that are much faster than others you don't get excellent results and can waste a lot of money. Running 3 potentially fast drives through a DROBO 5 NIC connection is indeed a weak link.

Here's a well written link for "Balanced Systems"

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/83-balanced-systems/94-balanced-systems

I don't know what you budget is, but if you can spend more than what you target above, get the following items and you would be sooooo set for awhile:

- Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (separate ROG speed control is totally cool - you can run for normal, quiet, power-eff., or turn up the juice for some serious OC'ing for big renders, etc.)

- i7-4930k; yes this is hundreds of dollars more that the 4-core, but has about 50% more speed for the big work.

- 32GB 1600MHz RAM or 64GB if you have After Effects in your plans

- put your 3 WD reds on a RAID 0 array to the SATA connections on your motherboard (use Intel ports, not Marvel for this)

- bet a large drive or two to load in your DROBO for backups

- don't waste your time with any RAMDISK, SSD caching, or other thing that advertise to help speed up PCs; they likely help certain programs, but not Premiere Pro (it is already using LOTs of your resources and having extra RAM (32GB or 64GB does this) is used by Win7/8/8.1 for drive caching already

And if your budget can't swing all of that:

- get 24GB of RAM for your current motherboard

- (optional) replace the 950 with a 6-core (i7-970, i7-980x, or i7-990x)

- overclock to 3.9 (that's pretty easy to do) whether you stick with the 950 or move up

- put your 3 WD reds on a RAID 0 array to the SATA connections on your motherboard (use Intel ports, not Marvel for this)

- get a large drive or two to load in your DROBO for backups

- don't waste your time with any RAMDISK, SSD caching, or other thing that advertise to help speed up PCs; they likely help certain programs, but not Premiere Pro (it is already using LOTs of your resources and having extra RAM (32GB or 64GB does this) is used by Win7/8/8.1 for drive caching already

BTW, my current main rig is a x58 build w/ OC'd i7-970 6-core, GTX 480, 24GB RAM, and LOTs of drives. It really works quite well for HD and even light RED 4k work. I've also experimented with a Dell dual Xeon e5-2687w with 64GB RAM, dual GTX Titan Superclocked GPUs, boot SSD drive and an Areca 8x drive hardware RAID, so I think that I have an excellent feel for what you can get with well built x58 system and also what you can expect for close to state-of-the-art today.

Also BTW, if I had to replace my 6-core x58 system today, I would go with the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition and i7-4930k myself.

Regards,

Jim