6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 2:17 PM by A.T. Romano

Length of Fade ins/outs

iansilver

Is it possible to alter the default length of Fades so that when made shorter, they don't flicker when watched on DVD? I use PE12.

• 1. Re: Length of Fade ins/outs
          A.T. Romano Level 7

iansilver

Are you referring to the Fade In or Out video or audio that one might get by right clicking the video and selecting Fade followed by the appropriate fade option?

If so, right click the video on the Expert workspace Timeline, select Show Clip Keyframes/Opacity/Opacity.

Expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline. This should result in you seeing white dots (your keyframes in the orange line that runs horizontally across the clip - line called rubberband).

With your mouse cursor, you can left click a keyframe and move it where you want.

Are you sure the flicker is due to the length of the Fade sets?

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Length of Fade ins/outs
            iansilver Level 1

Thanks for your help. Yes, I'm able to manually move the "rubberbanding" to the positions required and cut the fades to shorten them, but you're right that the target of my problem lies elsewhere. Basically, I have edited and saved individual projects in AVCHD Format, then opened a final project and imported them all in to make a final long clip of some 1hr 20mins. This I have then burned to DVD and everything works perfectly except fades and transitions which are not smooth on playback. That's really the nut of the problem.

• 3. Re: Length of Fade ins/outs
              iansilver Level 1

Just thinking, is there any way of making a Project of Projects because burning a single Project to DVD causes no problems and runs smoothly thoughout?

• 4. Re: Length of Fade ins/outs
                A.T. Romano Level 7

iansilver

The first thought that came to mind with regard to this flicker is field order.

Is your AVCHD on the Timeline interlaced or progressive video. If interlaced, is the field order Upper Field First. The DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is characterized by interlaced video with field order Lower Field First.

Maybe do a mini test run version of the grand project to determine if right clicking the video and selecting Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance has any impact on the after burn flicker.

I will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Length of Fade ins/outs
                  iansilver Level 1

Magic! Reversing field dominance has worked - many thanks for your help.

Ian

• 6. Re: Length of Fade ins/outs
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

iansilver

That was very great news. Glad that worked for you.

Your follow up was very much appreciated.

Continued success.

Best wishes

ATR