10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 9:35 PM by jrkkke

PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]

jrkkke

I have adobe Premier Elements 8. I have updated with any updates. I compiled a bunch of home videos and I wanted to burn them on a DVD for Christmas. Once I compiled everything and got audio all set and disc menus the works. I went to the share tab and selected the burn to dvd, I selected my settings and hit burn it took about 5 hours for the DVD to burn to the disc and about at 95% complete a message came up stating that it was not able to burn. I have wasted about ten DVD's trying to get them burned. I have even saved the file for PC format to watch and burn the movie on another program and that save took about ten hours. I am not sure if it is the program or the computer. It is really frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
          N9JCR Level 2

What is the total length of the video you are trying to put on a DVD?  Anything more than 60-90 minutes and PE is going to have to compress the output.  I've created some pretty complex DVDs of about 60 minutes in length and they never take anywhere near that long to produce although it's been a long ime since I used version 8.

If you can give some information about the PC you are using: speed, memory, free hard disk space, etc. that will help also.

Bob

• 2. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
            jrkkke Level 1

It is a long video. I have compiled the last ten years of Family Christmas videos. So the the length is about 3 and half hours. I am using a 240 minure DVD+R. I have  Dell Inspiron 530, Intel R Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 at 2.4GHz, RAM 3 GB, 32 bit operating system.

• 3. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
              N9JCR Level 2

3.5 hours seems like a lot to put on one DVD, even if it's a DL.  The computer specs don't seem too lightweight.

When you wrote the video out to the hard drive, how long did that take?  When you say it took 10 hours was that the PE time or the hard drive to DVD copy time?

As an aside, two suggestions:

1) Not sure who is going to want to watch 3.5 hours of home movies in one sitting.  You might have better luck (and video quality) by chunking your video in to 60-80 minute "volumes".  If those work individually that demonstrates it's the amount of video going on to one DVD.

2) If you are going to do work like this often, get a small package of DVD-RW's.  I always burn my work on to an RW and then duplicate from there.  If something goes wrong I don't waste a DVD.

Bob

• 4. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
                jrkkke Level 1

Yes it is alot of video. I did break it up into scenes though so they can just watch what one they want.I will try to break the video into volumes and see if that helps.

• 5. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jrkkke

Are you doing the burn to with "Fit Content To Available Space" with check mark?

Assuming that you do, immediately before you hit Burn, what does the Quality area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate?

And, the usual drill for those working with Premiere Elements 8...

a. do you have the automatic background rendering and autoanalyzer features turned off?

b. are you working from the 8.0.1 Update version of the program?

c. do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

d. are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Right now a and b seem more relevant than c and d to what you are reporting, but I include them just in case.

Do you have the equipment to go Blu-ray?

ATR

• 6. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As a test...

Set your DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

When you write to disc with Imgburn, use the SLOWEST possible speed setting, so your burner has the best chance to create "good, well formed" laser burn holes... since no DVD player is required to read a burned disc

• 7. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jrkkke

I do not believe this is a burn to folder vs burn to disc type issue, but rather one influenced by the size of your project and/or Timeline factors. But, the burn to folder is easy enough to do to rule in or out that type of information. If you do perform the test as suggested by John T. Smith, please note the burn dialog's Quality section readings for Space Required and Bitrate. The burn to folder (8.5 GB) approach does work with ImgBurn not just burn to folder (4.7 GB). If you cannot burn to folder as well as burn to disc, that is good information to have.

Have you expanded to your Timeline to inspect it for any possible irregularities, such as gaps and clip debris and the like?

We will be looking forward to all your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
                        jrkkke Level 1

The most recent problem that kept coming up was a warning box stating that Adobe Premier was low on memory and that the program would run slow, save your work and continue at your own risk. Really? So I deleted a buinch of items and old projects but it did not help the situation. I ended up cutting the videos in half and saving them seperately and that eventually worked. After this I am think I am over Adobe, but knowing me I will give it another chance at some time in the future. Thanks for all those that helped me troubleshoot through this project. It will be a late Christmas gift but at least they will eventually get something. Thanks again for everything.

Jaden

• 9. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jrkkke

We appreciated the update. You are in a time crunch for a Christmas delivery on this, but, if you have the time, hold on to the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project file (project.prel). If you can upgrade your computer to 4 to 8 GB installed RAM on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit and be using Premiere Elements 12, this would probably turn things around for you on this project. But, definitely do not purchase anything without looking at the tryout first.

The reports are suggesting that the combo of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, Windows 32 bit, and only 3 GB installed RAM is holding you back on this large project.

Right now, time to think of a wonderful Christmas and New Year. And, congratulations on what you have accomplished. Good job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: PSE8: unable to complete DVD burn. Stops around 95% each time. [was:Queston:]
                            jrkkke Level 1

Thanks ATR you have a Merry Christmas and New Year as well.