2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2013 2:06 PM by Puzmen

Glyph Fitting

Puzmen Level 1

So, I keep on hearing about InDesign's ALL-POWERFUL text handling skillz, but I find myself wanting to play on Illustrator frequently for layouts.

Here's the thing. When I place a text box in a specific place, I mean to have the text go there. Not amusingly close to there, not in that space with a general sense of flowing with the grace of the gods, but to watch text FILL a box. Instead, I am witnessing a text handler taking directions from whoever formatted the font, whether they suck or not.

Here is the deal:

I wish to find a setting that pays attention to the glyph paths when setting the boundries. Similar to how InDesign already tracks the edges of strokes for placement (a feature I happen to be impressed by). Even enabling an illustrator-like glyph tracking would be nice.

• 1. Re: Glyph Fitting
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just can't help myself, here, I know what you mean, but the snark in your comment is so thick that I was going to let your question pass unanswered. But instead, I'm going to tell you what I know.

If you you find the Story panel in Window -> Text and Tables and choose Optical Margin Alignment, then InDesign will ignore the sidebearing values chosen by the font designer. That still won't get you what you want, because, hahaha, the glyphs will be amusingly close to the edge of the frame. Not on the edge of the frame. But they'll be consistently amusingly close, instead of the amount of amusement varying according to the amount of sidebearing.

When I'm setting large amounts of text at reading size, I trust InDesign to make decisions about "glyph fitting" for me. When I had access to roomsful of English language-learners with whom I could run readability tests, I satisfied for my own purposes any questions about how easy it is to read text set in various ways by various tools. I can go on and on about that kind of thing, if you want.

But if there's an oversize headline that I have to set, and I want it to line up absolutely perfectly, and turning Optical Margin Alignment off won't create the effect I want, I will sometimes head over to Illustrator to set that headline. But that is an extraordinarily rare case for me; I only do it when my client's preferences indicate that I should care more about alignment than readability.

There's no setting in InDesign that actually does what you want.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Glyph Fitting
            Puzmen Level 1

Having to bounce between Illustrator's path alignment and InDesign's graphics containers is what I expected to hear. A mixture of relatively large font sizes and requests to utilize the whole surface of a page with small margins, usually leaves me to apply an imaginary margin to the bottom of text boxes. Mostly to compensate for over-hanging letters like "y" which are consequently clipped by the cutter.

No matter the case, your reply is sound. InDesign's text formatting options seem to have a linear focus on perceived balance based on optical symbol recognition.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.