31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2014 8:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?

JEM43 Level 1

Using Win7 64bit and have Adobe Creative Suite 4 Premium including Premiere Pro CS4 operating on same PC without any problems. Recently purchased from Adobe and downloaded PE12 as an upgrade from PE8.  Previously Premiere Elements 8 and CS4 operated same computer without problems

On each occasion after I open PE12 and attempt to drag a audio or graphic file into the timeline, the programs stops to download an 18meg "online content download" before the audio or graphic file becomes active (after download) but only so long as  the program remains open. Have tried reinstalling PE12, same problem repeats.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

JEM43

On each occasion after I open PE12 and attempt to drag a audio or graphic file into the timeline, the programs stops to download an 18meg "online content download" before the audio or graphic file becomes active (after download) but only so long as  the program remains open.

If I have understood your concern correctly, I believe what you are observing is the new Content download feature for Premiere Elements 11 and 12.

Please check out my blog posts on this matter. If this does not apply to your situation, then please detail further.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-downloads.html

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/12/pe12-content-download-considerations.html

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
            JEM43 Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply and assistance. A quick read of your posts suggest they most likely contain the answer, its now just a matter of me getting my head around, your description of the fix required, to resolve the problem. 

Given that this problem, is a obviously from your answer, a reoccurring common problem, its disapointing Adobe have not addressed a fix.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>disapointing Adobe have not addressed a fix

What you are seeing IS Adobe's fix... to a problem that users were not having... Adobe has moved ALL of some products to the Cloud, where everything is downloaded... and SOME of other products so only the program is installed from DVD and the rest is downloaded from the Cloud

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform to tell Adobe you think this is a bug, not a help

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

JEM43

I suspect that there will be no fix for Adobe's trend for online delivery.

I had just about adjusted to the Premiere Elements 11 no Content disc (even if you purchased the boxed version), when along came Premiere Elements 12 with the same with regard to no Content disc and an extra. The extra came when I went to purchase Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe direct only to find out that it was now selling only the download. But, boxed purchase for 12 could still be made from an authorized reseller if not Adobe direct.

It is my understanding that the Pro versions are sold as online download subscriptions rather than a one time purchase of serial number for the product. Seems to be the wave of the feature. Premiere Elements next?

Best wishes for your Premiere Elements projects. We look forward to the opportunity to be of assistance with your projects if needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

It is my understanding that the Pro versions are sold as online download subscriptions rather than a one time purchase of serial number for the product. Seems to be the wave of the feature. Premiere Elements next?

Your understanding is correct, regarding PrPro. The "boxed set" was discontinued for PrPro CS 6, some time ago, going to ONLY a download version. That PrPro CS 6 will be the last of the perpetual license versions, and now, everything else (called PrPro CS 7, or more accurately, CC, Creative Cloud) will be via subscription ONLY. There *might* be some PrPro CS 6 boxed versions available, from certified resellers, but I would imagine that most of those are running out, as Adobe pushes the CC subscription model for Ps, PrPro, After Effects, Illustrator, InDesign, and most other of their "major" programs.

The concept of download, whether for the program, or for any Additional Functional Content, will be with us in the future, or so it seems now.

I have not read of subscription changes (similar to the CC) for the Elements programs, but that does not mean that Adobe is not heading in that direction for PsE and PrE, as well. Only Adobe knows, and for us mere users, only time will tell.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for the confirmation.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While it is via download only, you can still buy CS6 products with a perpetual license, not a monthly subscription

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_c reativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPMZ

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                        Daran66 Level 1

This is rubbish!!

I took 10 gig worth of film on Christmas day and want to finalise a DVD to give to my family on New Years Eve and am unable to burn a DVD with any of the themes as they all seem to be stuck in some sort of "busy" grey rotating wheel state.  Further, if I select one of them, the whole program just freezes and I have to kill it in Task Manager.

How can Adobe take such a backward step?... I have had versions 8, 9, 11 and now 12 and this seems to be the worst version to date!    Please don't tell me to copy the version 11 online folder as that is also incomplete!

I've looked at the online folder and it currently contrains 1.89Gb of data across 694 files... what should the figures be for a complete folder?

How do I tell PE12 to go get all of the content in one go or does it just do that in the background?

HELP!

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Daran66

You can get All the Content of a particular category using the Download All option after you right click one of the thumbnails. Then it is a matter of whether or not you want to wait for the processes to complete with the project or opened or download in background with project opened.

I have not found one button for a Download All and then wait for that to happen in the background or otherwise for All the categories including Instant Movie, Titles & Text, Audio, and Graphics. It has been one category at a time, re-starting the process to be described.

Details if necessary.....

Two prime factors in Content download and specifically the movie menus...

a. Internet speed

b. Status of Adobe Server

What particular movie menu are you trying to download? All those questions being asked, please review the following being presented just to establish a baseline and try to address your question

How do I tell PE12 to go get all of the content in one go or does it just do that in the background?

In Premiere Elements 12, under Titles & Text Tab there are the choices for that category. You select the one you want and right click the blue ban at the top right of the selected thumbnail. From the pop up, you select Download Now or Download All.

content-1.jpg

If I select Download All, I have found that All is referring just to the Content choices under Titles & Text and not all the categories that require this type of download, like Instant Movie, Titles & Text, Audio, and Graphics.

When I select Download All, I get the following....

content2.JPG

If I click Yes, then I get

content3.JPG

And, I select Download in background if I wish to do something else while the process completes. Can take hours depending on Internet connection and Adobe server and Content to be downloaded.

(I selected Titles & Text for this demo since I had already done the download for Tools/Movie Menu.)

You wrote

am unable to burn a DVD with any of the themes as they all seem to be stuck in some sort of "busy" grey rotating wheel state

Have you looked at closing your large project (with Tools/Movie Menu left at no menu - Reset if you have applied the one menu that comes with the program without download required)

Opening a new project and doing nothing but going to Tools/Movie Menu and doing the Content download using Download Now for the immediate need or Download All? Close out of that program...does not need to be saved. Open your large project and apply your movie menu.

Does any of that work for you?

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                            Daran66 Level 1

Hi ATR,

firstly, thanks for the detailed response.

I did not know about the right-clicking option.  I have tried this on the "Holidays and Events" category - it downloaded 1.8 gig of stuff... but every theme has the same grey-out windows with a spinning wheel in the middle of each!

I now cannot click on any of the individual themes to select a download

Similarly, the "Titles and Text" tab now gives me a completely blank box with a single spinning wheel in the middle.

I have also tried the same with a brand new empty project but get the same result.

If I look in the online folder on the drive - there is now over 4 gig of data there.

How do I stop the spinning wheels and see the themes again instead of this:

Capture.JPG

thanks,

Daran.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                              JEM43 Level 1

It seems after all the solution to missing Adobe Premiere Elements 12, graphics, sound files, titles text and instant movies is not that difficult, its simply a matter of understanding what Adobe has done and spending a long time downloading those files after inital PE12 installation These files are not included in Elements 12 downloaded, they have to be downloaded when you first use PE12.

When you first use PE12 after purchase and attemp to insert say a graphics file in the timeline a screen appears indicating you must download this particular graphics file, at this point you have the option to download this one particular graphics file of all ALL of the graphics files, its best to select ALL go away for a couple of hours, come back and hopefully all the graphics files will have by then been downloaded. Any file still not downloaded will have a blue band in the top right hand corner of the file graphic. The same download procedure applies to sound files, titles text and instant movies.

I consider the confusion arises when the purchaser assumes the PE12 download inclues everything to fully make the program function. When the consumer then comes across the missing files, first suspects are bad download or bad installation and so the confusion progresses.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

JEM43

Please review what has been written in this thread already in text and graphic format and compare that with Daran66's actual situation.

At this point we are not facing the generalized concept of the new Content download delivery for Premiere Elements. Rather we are talking about failure to have images in the Content thumbnails in the various categories, only endlessly spinning circle. That is not normal.

The thumbnails with images for Instant Movie, Titles and Text, Audio, and Graphics should be visible in the project with or without the Content download (Download Now or Download All). Please check out the screenshot of Premiere Elements 12 showing a Download Now for one of the Titles & Text choices (Travel/countryside_credits). Note that the Download Now is still in progress (not completed) and the thumbnail for the choice is the same as is was before the Download Now was started and will be the same when the Download Now is finished - with the exception the blue ban at the top right of the thumbnail will be gone.

Download Now.JPG

Hopefully, with further details from Daran66, we can work this through to an answer for this specific event.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Considering that those thumbnails are graphics intensive, has anyone looked into testing an updated video driver? I looked back, but did not see mention of that, but perhaps missed it. In Reply # 10, it seems that some material has been downloaded, but is just not showing up in the gallery.

Just thinking here,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Daran66

Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure that we are in sync...to this moment, have you gotten any thumbnail images to display for any of the Content categories, with or without you going through the Download Now or Download All process?

Assuming you have not, then let us determine if the file necessary for these displays are present on the computer. They should be part of the incomplete folder that installs at program installation.

So, let us check out the Titles & Text/Travel/crusieliner_credits to determine if the .png file for the thumbnail is where it should be in Program Data area. For Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit, the path is:

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Titles & Text

All_Lang

Travel

Cruiseliner

and in the Cruiseliner folder are the .png files, including the crusieliner_credits

You can check other choices in a similar manner. The big question is are those .png file there? Have you directed them somehow to another location?

Let us see where all this leads us.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I want to make sure that the .png files necessary for those thumbnails exist on the hard drive. They download with the program installation, not the Content download which brings with it the rest of the files to complete the choice.

Please read my post that I have just posted. I did not see your post until after I had posted mine.

At this time, I see no involvement of the video display card or its driver since the user can produce the project up to the application of the disc menus.

More later.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                        Daran66 Level 1

Hi Guys,

thanks for the help so far - I tried rebooting the PC again and got the titles and effects thumbnails back, but the Disc themes are still all showing as busy. (Note that they did appear initially until I tried to use one.)

Also, I used the Christmas titles/credits in the project and they sort of worked except that they didn't put the frames etc. around the screen but the titles/credits/fonts were the right colour/size.

To answer your query on the cruiseliner credits - attached is a screenshot of the directory you led me to (although I think you mistyped part of it - see the bit I circled.)

Capture2.JPG

any clues?

I can give you screenshots or directory listings of the dvd themes folders etc. if it would help but I still keep seeing the busy indicator...

Daran.

Daran.

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                          Daran66 Level 1

Hi Bill,

I have a 2nd generation Core i5 cpu and the graphics/ HD playback etc. are not an issue.

I just can't get the DVD themes to work at all...

Daran.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Daran66

On the themes with the rotating circle, do you see the png thumbnails for them in the Program Data area as you do for the Cruiseliner example?

What we know so far is that the .png files for the thumbnails present and appear to be in a default location.

Good news is that you actually saw, selected, downloaded, and use one.

You wrote:

Also, I used the Christmas titles/credits in the project and they sort of worked except that they didn't put the frames etc. around the screen but the titles/credits/fonts were the right colour/size.

But, I would have a question about the place where you wrote "except that they didn't put the frames ect around the screen". What frames per you expecting since I do not see that this title templates has a frame included with the credits.

christmas.jpg

Holidays and Events/Christmas_TT/Christmas_credits.

Have you given any thought to experimenting to have Christmas_credits on Video 1 and directly above it on Video 2 Christmas_frame?

Together.JPG

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                              Daran66 Level 1

Hi ATR,

when I firsdt installed PE12 the frame and credits thumbnails looked like those you have attached in your reply.  However, mine now look like this:

Capture3.JPG

i.e. all of the festive surroundings have disappeared.

Looking on my hard-drive at the online/Christmass_TT directory I see the following (is this a complete folder or is there stuff missing?):

Capture4.JPG

(the festive stuff seems to be present.)

II left the computer on overnight hoping it would sort itself out but the Disc themes are still all grey windows with a spinning cog in the middle.

Daran.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Daran66

Downloaded Content at Online Folder Level

As for the Titles & Text Christmas_TT (files in the Online Folder on the hard drive), that you show as your second screenshot in post 19, I have the same, and to me it represents a folder completed by the Content download process.

This is a screenshot of mine

Titles & Text.JPG

However, when I look at the display of choices for Titles & Text/Holidays and Events/Christmas_TT within Premiere Elements project, I see

Titles & Text 2.JPG

What I see within the project is what I saw before and after the download, except that, after the download, the blue ban at the top right corner of the thumbnail was present.

This is a way out possibility but let us try this.

Go to the Online Folder and those .png files for Titles & Text Christmas_TT.

Christmas_credits_prv.png

Christmas_frame_prv.png

Christmas_lower3rd_prv.png

Christmas_title_prv.png

You can try this with just one to start....delete the file name and retype it exactly as it was before. Close out of there. Restart the computer.

More later.

ATR

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                  Daran66 Level 1

ok - I tried deleting the name for the Christmas_title_prv and then retyping it, and rebooting.  Still looks the same  - i.e. no festive graphics.

Been doing some experiments in the Christmas titles folder.

I deleted the "downloaded.txt" and the titles returned as:

Capture5.JPG

I then right-clicked and downloaded them again and they became:

Capture6.JPG

So all looking good.  but when I drag the first one to the timeline... the screen loses the holly/candy canes etc. and becomes:

Capture7.JPG

The same happens with the other ones too...

I tried the same with the Halloween title (cats face on an amber background) and that worked perfectly...

I then tried deleting everything out of the Christmas titles folder and restarting but that ended up with the following - a title but no thumbnails...

Capture8.JPG

I then started to add the file types back in one type at a time... and nothing changed until I re-added the png files at which point I ended up back at the view with the blue tags...

Capture9.JPG

The process then just repeats... i.e. nothing I do can make the holly/berries etc. appear on screen.

Oh, and the dvd menus are still all grey with whirring cogs! Which was my original problem!!!

Daran.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                    Daran66 Level 1

another update;

I've checked every theme subfolder within every category of the DVD Templates and they all have a downloaded.txt file now... but every thumbnail in every category is a spinning cog (even the Pan and Zoom theme which is located elsewhere on the hard drive.)

I've tried deleting the .PSD files and the downloaded.txt for a particular theme.  On restarting PE12, the theme reappears with a blue ribbon.  I then right-click on it and select "Download Now" - the .PSD files all successfully download and the downloaded.txt file reappears.  Then the thumbnail returns to a busy spinning cog.

I looks like all of the files are downloaded but the program is not recogniseing the fact.

any clues on how to tell the program that the downloads are complete?

Daran.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                      Daran66 Level 1

Hey ATR - it's all gone very quiet...

Any suggestions?

Daran.

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Daran66

Coming.

I saw your "It's all gone very quiet." post the other day and meant to get back into action in this thread but I lost track of your thread again.

It is 3:40 pm where I am. Give me at least an hour to get organized with thoughts specific to your situation and then we will attack this problem full force.

Any additions to your comments beyond post 21 where you seem to say that we are back were we started from?

There was a thread the other day whose outcome I thought might help us in your thread. In that case the user had issues with the Content download under the Audio button (Music Scores and Sound Effects). In the end, it was an uninstall and reinstall that solved that one. But, if I recall, we have been down that fix route before in your thread.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                          Daran66 Level 1

Cool thanks...

No change since... looks like all the files (or vast majority) are downloaded but the program doesn't recognise the fact.

D.

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Daran66

Let us stay with the DVD menus moving forward....

In browsing through your thread, the latest seems to be that you have issue with the DVD menu that came with the program as well as the ones classed as Content needing download. So, the problem cannot be restricted or pointed to as Content download. If that is the case, let us broaden our perspective to the computer environment et al. If I have misinterpreted this point, please say so immediately since a lot of what follows is based on that assumption.

In all this, did you ever get to say what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 12 is running on? You did mention "2nd generation Core i5 cpu" but I did not see anything else? I will assume for now Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. How many video cards does the computer have according to Device Manager/Display Adapters? Are you running a system with one or two monitors? Does you computer use any High Contrast Themes?

a. If you go to the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, right click it, select Run As Administrator, and then open Premiere Elements by double clicking that Adobe Premiere Elements.exe there, does the program open and perform with the same DVD menus issue? (See Local Disc C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe)

a. Do you do any site blocking or anything else with the hosts file on your computer? See Local Disc C\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and the hosts file in the etc Folder. If you right click the hosts file, select Open, and then open it with Notepad,  is it at default looking like the following which is from Windows 7 64 bit...

Notepad.JPG

c. Have you attempted to select and use one of these DVD menus with the anti-virus disabled and firewalls turned off (computer firewalls as well as any associated with a router?

d. Is it time to use the fall back troubleshooting one more time...

Either

(a) deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disc C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0 and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

and/or

(b) uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall with anti-virus and firewalls turned off (everywhere)

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...You wouldn't have any prime candidates for interferring programs installed on your computer with Premere Elements 12????

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                              Daran66 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I'm running a dual monitor PC under Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 Sandybridge processor, no separate graphics cards.

Host file looks exactly like yours.

Only running Windows f/w and Windows Security Essentials.

Anyway, Wow!

You've fixed my issue with the first suggestion of running it as administrator!  Which is fantastic as your further suggestions looked quite involved!

So why do I have to do this and is there a way to fix this so I can just click on the icon as normal?

many thanks,

Daran.

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Daran

Great, great, magnificient, Wow news.

You wrote

So why do I have to do this and is there a way to fix this so I can just click on the icon as normal?

Look at the User Account from which you are running the program. Does it list you as Administrator on that User Account? If not, then have the Administrator set you up with a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Please read the following explanation for why one might need the Run As Administrator in spite of a User Account with Administrative Privileges....

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/20250-why-do-i-need-run-administrator.html

http://superuser.com/questions/235444/what-is-run-as-administrator-in-windows-7

It has been a long road through Premiere Elements and Content. Thank you for staying with us on the journey.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 30. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                                  Daran66 Level 1

ATR,

resolved the issue by right-clicking on the icon for PE12 and telling it to always run as administrator.  Very annoying as it is my computer that I have built myself and I am the admin!!!

This also resolved my issue with the disappearing features on the Christmas titles!  So we're now 100% up and running and burning DVDs for the family.

Many thanks for your help and perseverence, it is folk like you who make these forums worthwhile - I was on the verge of asking for my money back and going back to Corel VideoStudio... but thanks to you, Adobe have my continued support! 

Have a great New Year and thanks again.

Daran.

• 31. Re: Premiere Elements12 "Online Content Download" problem ?
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Daran

Thanks for the kind words.

I am glad for the opportunity to be part of the troubleshooting. You are to be congratulated for staying with the troubleshooting.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful New Year with lots of happy family moments to capture in your movies and enjoy now in and the years to come.

Best wishes.

ATR