3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2007 1:30 PM by Some1Won

quick question (why is this happening)

graphicanthem Level 1
      i'm working on a draggable background with boundaries and had a quick question for you guys that know way more than me about actionscript... any help will be greatly appreciated.

i have a draggable movie clip and set up boundaries for it, and they all work except for when you drag the MC to the extreme left/bottom corner... the left boundary stops working as soon as it hits that direct corner..

see for yourself: http://www.liquid-creative.com/testing.php

my code is below... any thoughts?

• 1. Re: quick question (why is this happening)
          Hm, instead of doing coding this, you could use the startDrag() method. You can specify left, top, bottom, right parameters for drag boundaries. Use stopDrag() to…well, stop dragging.
          • 2. Re: quick question (why is this happening)
            graphicanthem Level 1
            i tried startDrag() but wasn't able to successfully code the inertia for when the MC is released. i'm a designer learning actionscript, therefore a lot of what i've discovered has been by trial and error.

could you recommend any tutorials for adding the inertia to the startDrag() method?

i feel like it should be a little more simple than what i keep coming up with... thanks.
            • 3. Re: quick question (why is this happening)
              Some1Won Level 1
              hm... well I think what you really need to get out of the dragging step is the vector of the object when the object is ‘released’?

I suppose you could use the actual startDrag()/stopDrag methods to do the dragging work for you and then add on to it. Perhaps while the mouse is moving, keep track of (and update) the values/vector of where the mouse was 1 ‘movement unit’ before (1 frame before I presume), then when stopDrag() is called, at the same spot, subtract the current vector from the vector stored and use the result for calculating inertia.

(Note that I don’t have flash in front of me so this actually coming from my head, -someone may have a better method)