0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2013 11:36 AM by Andy__007

interactive text fields are not correctly exported to PDF (acrobat)

Andy__007

I´m using Adobe InDesign 9.1 and created a table containing some fields and a checkbox.

like: "amount:" "xxx.xxx,xx"

"amount:" as the description of the field

and

"xxx.xxx,xx" as the amount itself

The goal is, to hide the fields and their description if the checkbox is unchecked,

and to show all fields and their description if the checkbox is checked.

This works for all fields, which are converted to Text Field in Adobe InDesign

(Object ---> Interactive ---> "Convert to Text Field")

If the field is an object in Adobe InDesign

(Object ---> Interactive ---> "Convert to Object")

the field shows up, but its properties can not be accessed using JavaScript.

So you can not change the visibility status (visible or hidden) of the object using JavaScript,

i.e.  when the event of the checkbox is triggered.

This is also true if you specify the "PDF Options" for this object (in "Buttons and Forms")

Is this working as designed or is it a bug ?

There are at least 2 workarounds (which cause much more effort and time):
      1) Convert those fields to "Text fields" and set them read-only.
      In addition you have to specify the default value for each field as the description
      A major disadvantage of this method is, that you can not specify some options, as you can do in InDesign (i.E. alignment)

In addition, if you need to make any changes in the source document, you have to do the same work again.

If all options would be passed to Acrobat, it would be much easier.

2) Leave the description fields blank in InDesign, and add the fields in Acrobat.

This is very time consuming, especially if you want to exactly align the fields

And again:

In addition, if you need to make any changes in the source document, you have to do the same work again.

If all options would be passed to Acrobat, it would be much easier.