4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 11:19 AM by Steve Grisetti

Slow video playback in Photoshop Elements 11

Dodson65

Playback of videos directly in Photoshop Elements Organizer is very slow. Video is stuttering.

Playing the same video outside of PSE11 with Windows Media Player is much better. Video plays without any stuttering.

Looks like the internal video player of PSE11 is very poor and provides slow performance.

What can I do do have the same video performance with the PSE11 player as I have with WMP.

I use Windows 7 64 Bit (8 GB RAM) with a Intel Core i3 (2330). This CPU has enough power to playback HD or Full-HD videos without any stuttering!!!

Why can't the internal play of PSE11 Organizer play my videos without stuttering - like WMP 12.0.7601.18150 does?

Regards,

Dodson65

• 1. Re: Slow video playback in Photoshop Elements 11
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is this video from and what format and resolution is it?

Your processor is pretty minimal and probably is not powerful enough to drive some video formats. (Media players interpret video very differently than video editors.)

Have you started a Premiere Elements project yet that uses this video's specs? This will often trigger Premiere Elements to download the necessary components for interpretting the video.

• 2. Re: Slow video playback in Photoshop Elements 11
            Dodson65 Level 1

The videos I use are created with different devices.

I have HD videos taken with a Pentax DSLR and I have Full-HD videos taken with a Windows Phone 8 device.

Both playback on my Laptop without any stottering with different software. I checked WMP and VLC. Even when using my Laptop with energy-saving profile these videos can be played without stottering.

When I playback the videos in PSE11 Organizer I don't want to edit them - just playback. So why should the internal player behave different? I agree with you - this might be different when I playback the videos in Premiere Elements 11 (as this is a video editing software). But when using Photoshop Elements 11 I want to be able to playback videos in the same performance as I can do with WMP or VLC. If Photoshop Elements 11 can't do that - why? The organizer of PSE11 is not an editor. It should be able to playback videos the same way (with the same performance) as other players on my laptop.

Can you please explain this sentence: "Have you started a Premiere Elements project yet that uses this video's specs? This will often trigger Premiere Elements to download the necessary components for interpretting the video." Is there anything I can do to improve video playback performance?

• 3. Re: Slow video playback in Photoshop Elements 11
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Steve said, simple playback in other software is NOT the same as playing inside editing software... even for playback, editing software just is not like simple playback software

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links about starting new projects

But... for DSLR and "maybe" for your cell phone... you need an i7 and two fast hard drives for smooth editing... drive 1 for Windows and all programs, drive 2 for video files... both drives 7200 RPM

• 4. Re: Slow video playback in Photoshop Elements 11
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And have you started a Premiere Elements project yet for each of these video formats by placing a sample of each clip at the beginning of your timeline?

You need to do this in order for the program to download and install the necessary components for editing this video.

You also need to have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements.