1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 24, 2013 8:38 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements Burner Location: No Burners Found

A.T. Romano Level 7

Recently I was gifted with Apple TV unit. In preparation for its setup and use, I was checking out iTunes 64 bit (latest version 11.1.3.8) installed on my Windows 7 64 bit computer and got hit with the following message.

iTunes Dilemma.JPG

I had not installed other CD or DVD burning software.

When I reinstalled iTunes as suggested by the warning/error message, the message no longer appeared. Great. However, when I went to open a Premiere Elements 11 project, there were no burners listed in the Burner Location of the burn dialog. A System Restore resolved the immediate issue. This kind of problem appears to be involved with the Gear drivers used in iTunes.

All this seems to be a known online issue, and various Apple documents offer fixes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3299

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2372

I do not use iTunes to create audio CDs or burn DVDs, and the existing situation is somehow allowing me to import CDs, so, until forced to, I am thinking that I can put troubleshooting this further aside for another day rather than get involved with Windows recognition of burners.

The reason for posting is to call this happening to the attention of those Premiere Elements users who suddently find that there is nothing listed in burner location in the burn dialog and wonder why? The above may not be your answer. But, if you have this Premiere Elements burner location situation, one of the possibilities is to check the status of iTunes if iTunes is part of your computer community.

Remeding my particular situation is not responding to "reinstall iTunes" and/or the suggested fixes. An additional re-install got rid of the driver part of the message so that the message now reads just that iTune is not propertly installed. More work. But, at this point, I still have Premiere Elements recognizing my burners in its burn dialog burner location list.

ATR

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Burner Location: No Burners Found
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Update. Solution was found wherein

a. iTunes CD/DVD importing and burning functions worked

and

b. Premiere Elements burn dialog/burner location displayed all burners

in the same computer environment as iTunes.

This is an excerpt of the solution as per my blog post just posted on this matter.

The results of the solution to be described include

• Using iTunes 64 bit (version 11.1.3.8) without problems related to "drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing" and consequently no more error message (See Figure 1) when opening iTunes
          • Using Premiere Elements in which its burner dialog/burner location listed system burners

Uninstalled iTunes.....iTunes problem resolved, but Premiere Elements burn dialog/burner location burner listings gone.

System Restore.....iTunes problem back, but Premiere Elements burn dialog/burner location burner listings restored.

Manually deleted the GEAR entries in the Registry as per Solution 3 here, And installed updated GEAR driver (4.020.5) from here according to Solution 3.....that did not resolve the problem.

Subsequent iTunes uninstalls/reinstalls...no solution except that the driver part of the error message was gone so that the message now read only that iTunes was not properly installed.

Then went thru the Gear driver removal from Registry and typed in again from here, but this time, at step 12, followed the comment of an iTunes user (b noir) with this type of issue..

At step 12 after typing GEARAspiWDM, press Enter/Return key once prior to clicking OK.

It worked! No more iTunes CD/DVD "importing and burning" issues/no more error message to that effect when opening program and Premiere Elements burn dialog/burner location displaying all burner choices.

I was about to give up on this matter, but gave it one more look to arrive at the solution described. Never give up.

ATR

Add On....Figure 1 referred to this post, can be viewed in the original thread post above.