20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2013 8:54 AM by General Toastbrot
      • 1. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
        A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex

Rendering of the Timeline content to get the best possible preview of the Timeline content play back in the Edit monitor is an on demand feature in versions of Premiere Elements later than version 8.0/8.0.1.

Background rendering was a disasterous feature of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 which was introduced in that version and discontinued in subsequent versions. There it is, along with AutoAnalzyer, major grabber of system resources. One of the major features of the required 8.0.1 Update version was to shut off automatic background rendering as the default.

In Premiere Elements 12, I see no option or workaround to force an automatic Background Rendering.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
          General Toastbrot Level 1

Thanks for your quick support!
          Should I buy it, or not?

I produce videos every day and I dont want to pay so much money for Premiere Pro.

Is there any program like Premiere Pro with Media Encorder?

• 3. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

General Toastbrot

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. I try to keep up with other, but... I was unaware of the Premiere Pro feature to which you refer and which seems to be demo'd in the following Adobe TV video tutorial.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/cs6-creative-cloud-feature-tour-for-video/save-time-with-powerfu l-background-rendering-using-media-encoder/

I know from personal experience that the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 implementation of an automatic background rendering feature was disasterous. To be safe and not sorry,

a. post in the Premiere Pro forum to get actual user opinion of the feature from the resource grabbing and other angles

b. do the free tryout of Premiere Pro route to see how this feature responds in your specific computer environment

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

General,

I am unaware of any Adobe program, that works like AME (Adobe Media Encoder), which was broken out as a stand-alone (if one desires Encoding in the background), in about PrPro CS 4, IIRC.

Now, there are 3rd party Encoders, that are stand-alone, such as the MainConcept TotalCode Studio encoder: http://www.mainconcept.com/products/applications/totalcode-studio.html

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?

I have tried Premiere Pro CS6, but it is too expensive.
                Its a very good program. I cant buy it, because 1000€ in Germany is too much, I think.

• 6. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?

Thanks for your help, but the program is too expensive. I dont have so much money.
                  Is there any cheaper program or something?

• 7. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

General,

Is there any cheaper program or something?

There are probably many, but I would anticipate that most are aimed at the full-pro market, and will be comparably priced, i.e. expensive.

Maybe others know of some pro-sumer Encoders, with more realistic price tags, but I do not.

Good luck, and please let us know if you do find any, as they would probably be very useful.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?

Yes, and thanks for your help!
                      I let you know, when I find a useful program.

• 9. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex

Back in post 2 you asked

Should I buy it, or not?

I am assuming that you meant Premiere Elements 12 Windows?

Everything beyond that is very expensive. Have you given any consideration to looking at the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 Windows downloaded from Adobe.

Rendering is a preview matter in the program, rendering to get the best possible preview as displayed from play back of the Timeline content while you are still in the Edit area. If you import your media into the project with the correct project preset, no rendering should be needed. But, once you edit that import, the the color indicator system comes into the action to let you know best possible preview or not. If not, you do not have to render the whole Timeline content. There is a feature for selectively rendering, setting the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the area of interest.

For that matter, this type of rendering is not needed to move on in the project. But, it is window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

Do you really need a automatic background rendering feature under the circumstances?

Best wishes on whatever your program decisions are.

ATR

• 10. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The mention of

Media Encorder

had me assuming AME (Adobe Media Encoder), which is used for Encoding of Video files (what we refer to as Export, or Publish+Share), and not "Rendering," per Adobe's use of that term. Some other NLE programs DO refer to output Encoding as "rendering." Maybe I was mis-reading what Alex was asking for?

With AME, included with PrPro, and a few other Adobe programs, with some limitations over AME in PrPro, one can load it up, set the output (various settings for the same file(s)), and turn it on, while continuing to edit in PrPro (or Flash, etc.). AME then runs in the background, provided that one's computer has the power.

As has been mentioned, Adobe did include "Background Rendering" in PrE (just as Pinnacle/AVID did, some versions ago - as bad an idea, as PrE 8), but wisely removed it. That was for Rendering (in Adobe-speak), to give the best possible playback.

Maybe I am just mis-reading the request?

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?

Yes, I have tried the test versions of Premiere Elements and form Premiere Pro.
                            I would like to produce a video every day for youtube - a lets play.
                            And with the backround rendering, I can produce the videos faster.

Thanks
                            Alex

• 12. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Did you watch the Adobe TV video tutorial that I post earlier on here

"Save Time with Powerful Background Rendering Using Media Encoder"?

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/cs6-creative-cloud-feature-tour-for-video/save-time-with-powerfu l-background-rendering-using-media-encoder/

ATR

• 13. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex

Thanks for the follow up.

So, you have looked at what version 12 as well as Premiere Pro can and cannot do for you.

How much rendering of Timeline content time gain are we talking about using Premiere Pro with Media Encoder instead of Premiere Elements 12. What is the typical duration of one of your YouTube videos?

It is my understanding that Premiere Pro is no longer on a one time purchase situation. It is sold via subscription, so much per month cost. I am not sure what you would need to subscribe to in order to get at least Premiere Pro and the Media Encoder on this subscription basis. Maybe something to explore?

ATR

• 14. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?

It takes about 1,5 hours to render a 15 Minutes video. In Adobe Media Encorder I can put the videos in the queue and go to bed or something. And I missed the feature.

• 15. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?

The subscription per month isn't so good for me, because I am a student and I haven't got so much money per month.

• 16. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex

You are talking about background rendering in the sense of getting the best possible preview of what is displayed in the Edit Mode monitor at playback of the rendered Timeline. Is that correct?

After this type of rendering, what is the percentage of times that you find that the preview is unacceptable and that you need to edit the footage further before going to export to file/uploading to YouTube? How long does it take to upload your 15 minute video to YouTube after one of these 1.5 hours renderings?

Have you weighed the odds and merits of bypassing the Timeline rendering (maybe except for a selective segment render) and going to export?

Just trying to find a way around to get the best in spite of program features that are not there.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 17. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

As mentioned above, it is most likely the Exporting of the finished Timeline (Publish+Share in PrE), that Alex is trying to speed up.

Now, if that is correct, the "overnight" Export/Publish+Share, would work in PrE, as well. The beauty of AME being a separate program, is that it frees up PrPro to do additional editing, WHILE the Export is on-going. With an overnight output, other editing is not a cause for concern.

Now, with PrPro, there are other factors, that can speed certain things up, under certain circumstances, such as MPE/CUDA, but most of its power comes with the editing of the Timeline. Still, there can be some benefits, with some formats.

For me, and with the possibility of the overnight Export/Publish+Share, I could not see that much benefit of PrPro's AME vs the output from PrE.

Now, your question regarding the terms used, is a good one, and will likely get to the bottom of what Alex wants:

Render = creating a file to display the Timeline in the smoothest possible manner

vs

render = doing an Export/Publish+Share to create an output file for uploading to YouTube, or other delivery scheme

Knowing exactly how Alex is applying those terms, will be key to understanding what is needed.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Did you watch the Adobe TV video tutorial that I post earlier on here

"Save Time with Powerful Background Rendering Using Media Encoder"?

Yes. I am familiar with that AdobeTV tutorial. Unfortunately, the term used, "render," is a holdover from After Effects. If you listen to the early part, and observe the choice to send the Timeline's Sequence(s) to AME, you will see that the choice is "Export." This "background rendering" is NOT the Rendering of the Timeline's Sequence(s) for smoothest playback (hitting the Enter/Return key). It is for Export/Publish+Share, or outputting a file from the Timeline's Sequence(s).

As I mentioned in my previous Reply, there ARE some additional benefits to using AME w/ MPE/CUDA with certain media, and Effects. Note the mention of the nVidia Quadro cards for maximum quality, with little slowdown, regardless of the pop-up warning.

Where AME comes into play, with PrPro, is that while it is outputting (Exporting/Publishing+Sharing) the file, PrPro is still active for additional editing. With an overnight output, there is no need to do other editing, as the computer is only involved in one operation - outputting the Timeline's Sequence(s).

Also, as noted in the tutorial, one can load AME's queue with the required Sequence(s), and then do multiple output files, to different formats/CODEC's, all in one operation. That is useful, where one needs to deliver several variations of the same Sequence - something that PrE cannot do - it's one format/setting, at a time.

Hope that this clarifies what AME is being used for, and what it's doing. The potential for confusion on "Rendering" vs "rendering" is obvious. As "Rendering" is a term used in Premiere (both Pro & Elements), for creating files (proxy files, if you will) for smoothest playback of a Timeline/Sequence, to use the term "rendering," from After Effects (and some other common NLE programs), is probably not the ultimate choice here.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks.

I will take another look at that video tutorial re: Premiere Pro and what is described as background rendering.

ATR

• 20. Re: Can you do backround rendering in Premiere Elements 12?

I want to render the video and after that, I want to share the video.
                                              But I want to make a queue for the videos, because then I can render it for example over the night.