6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 9:14 PM by A.T. Romano

Edit->Auto Suggest Photo Stacks stopped working!

Dave0518 Level 1

Premier Elements 10 funtion for automatically finding similar shots used to work fine.  Showed good suggestions of similar photos, which of course also helps you find duplicates that were imported from different computers etc. I'm on a new PC now and the Auto Suggest worked ok until I loaded another 15000 photos, now totalling over 17K photos.  Now the stack function returns "There are no recommended stacks from the selections" message no matter if I Select All, or just select a few shots.

PE10 did crash once while I was indexing the imported material, but on retry seemed to complete the indexing ok. 

Any ideas?  Is there some limit to what PE10 can handle? Could the crash have damaged the code?     THANKS

• 1. Re: Edit->Auto Suggest Photo Stacks stopped working!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

The use of the Elements Organizer 10 and its Auto Suggest Stacks feature is probably best answered in a photo editing environment than in the video editing sector although both Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 are standalone program that each come with Elements Organizer 10. My thought here is that you might find more users in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum who have addressed this issue before.

Nonetheless, I would ask "What are the pixel dimensions of these 15000 + photos that you loaded into Elements Organizer 10? Have you tried deleting the settings file for the Elements Organizer 10 to determine if that action would have any affect on what you are observing?

By the way, how many photos were already loaded when you loaded another 15000 photos? What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10/Elements Organizer 10 running on?

ATR

• 2. Re: Edit->Auto Suggest Photo Stacks stopped working!
            Dave0518 Level 1

Pixel dimensions are all over the place.  Images from several different cameras.   Before the big import I had about 2k photos. 

Win 8 OS. I'll try deleting the settings file...if I can figure out how.  Also wonder why!

I'll try the Photoshop forum...good idea.

• 3. Re: Edit->Auto Suggest Photo Stacks stopped working!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

The resetting of the Elements Organizer settings file is just a long shot, but worth a try. The path to it for Windows 7, 8, .or 8.1 64 bit is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf (Elements Organizer settings file) that you delete or disable. If you disable, just rename the file from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

Maybe wait until you get some input from the Photoshop Elements people on your specific situation.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Edit->Auto Suggest Photo Stacks stopped working!
                Dave0518 Level 1

Tried the settings file reset with no change to the message I get if try Auto Stack.  

Note:  my old laptop has same PreEl 10 and even more pix -- 19000+, including all the pix that are now also on the new PC.  The function works fine, so problem should not be number of photos.

Posted same question on Photoshop Elements forum with no replies yet.    Thanks for the reply!

• 5. Re: Edit->Auto Suggest Photo Stacks stopped working!
                  Dave0518 Level 1

Function worked again only after making a new Catalog and re-Importing all the pix.  (??)  Disappointing/scary.  Great abilities, but really haven't seen such a buggy app since the 80's.

• 6. Re: Edit->Auto Suggest Photo Stacks stopped working!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

"Function worked again...." sounded great. The part about "having to make a new Catalog and re-import all the pix" was not so great.

But, you appear to be moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects. So we will keep positive thoughts.

Continued success moving forward.

Best wishes.

ATR