7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 2:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Corruption in AVCHD play

avdig

Whenever I import AVCHD from my Canon VIXIA HF-200 into PE12 it will play fine then for a few seconds it will pixelate and flash (corruption) for a few seconds then play okay again, in a five minute video it will do that 4 or 5 times and will render out that way.  The raw video will play on another computer fine with no corruption, to be fare windows media player and the VCL player  will do the same thing so it isn't just PE12.  Sounds like a no brainer right, it's my computer.  I've got more than enough horse-power and RAM and it's beatiful video until I get the second or two of corruption in every video.

• 1. Re: Corruption in AVCHD play
          the_wine_snob Level 9

avdig,

Sounds like a no brainer right, it's my computer.  I've got more than enough horse-power and RAM and it's beatiful video until I get the second or two of corruption in every video.

What are the specs. of the computer?

Does that AVCHD material have a red, or orange line ABOVE it, on the Timeline?

If so, if you Render that Timeline, do you get the same issue?

Good luck, and please let us know just a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Corruption in AVCHD play
            avdig Level 1

Computer specs. Intel core i7-4771 with 32GB RAM, Asus Graphic Card Randeon HD 7790, Win 8.1, 1TBHD, 128GB SSD

No red or orange in the AVCHD

• 3. Re: Corruption in AVCHD play
              A.T. Romano Level 7

avdig

I am correct in that your AVCHD video from your Canon camera has a file extension of .mts?

I am assuming that it is 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL) progressive frames per second. What are you or the program setting for the project preset independant of whether you see an orange line over the Timeline content for the file (not talking about the orange line that run horizontally across the middle of either the video content or the audio content...this is over the Timeline content)?

What happens if you rename just the file extension from .mts to

.mov or .m2t or .m2ts

Does that have any impact on the Windows Media, VLC, Premiere Elements Timeline play back of the file?

Are you recording to a memory card (what rating)? How are you introducing the video to your computer from the camera?

How does the video play back in the camera?

Did you say that you had the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements, Windows Media, and VLC player?

ATR

• 4. Re: Corruption in AVCHD play
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Avdig,

Thank you for that information. With the power of your computer, that pretty much takes it out of the equation, as to the problem. The only question would be how much free-space is available on the SSD C:\?

Am I correct that your Project, including media and PrE's Scratch Disks, are on the 1TB HDD?

If so, then I believe that the computer can be ruled out completely, as any part of the problem, and then ATR's questions will likely be the only ones in play now.

Again, thank you for that info.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Corruption in AVCHD play
                  avdig Level 1

Thanks Bill & A.T. Romano, I found the problem what happened was my backup files got corrupted copying from one hard drive to another which were the ones I was using, went back to my original files on a different computer and they were alright.so copyed them again and started from scratch everythings okay now.  Seems elementry but never expected the files to get corrupted in this way, copying from one hard drive to another !!

Everyone take note after checking my other backup files some of them are also corrupted, got some work ahead of me, thanks again.

• 6. Re: Corruption in AVCHD play
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Avdig,

That is great news, regarding the PREL files.

Before going too far, I would definitely investigate how/why those Copied files became corrupt. I have seen similar with slower USB 2.0 externals (just not fast enough of a connection to safely transfer data on a very fast computer), or where there is either a setup, or hardware issue with either the HDD's, or their controller.

Were those corrupt files being Copied from one internal HDD, to another, and is the internal controller for those the same?

Good luck, and glad that you are back to editing, but I would not be comfortable, if I had any I/O issues, as those have a way of popping up, when one can least afford it.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Corruption in AVCHD play
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

avdig

Thanks for the update and the good news that you have identified the cause of your workflow issues and are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Good job.

It will be interesting to learn what happened in the process of copying the originals to cause the subsequent problems in use of the copies in your project. Apparently this did not happen the second time you did this (new batch of copies, new project). Same everything each time?

Looking forward to learning of further developments when you get the chance....hope the news is problems gone, not returned.

Best wishes,

ATR