10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2013 2:04 AM by Mylenium

Katy Perry firework effect

paulworkforcetraining

I'm doing a film project for our local Special Olympics and I need a tutorial on the Katy Perry firework effect. any help?

• 1. Re: Katy Perry firework effect
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You're going to need to give a lot more detail about exactly what you are trying to do, what you have tried so far, and which specific parts are giving you trouble.

Until we have more to go on, the best that I can do is recommend that you learn the basics, starting here:

http://adobe.ly/AE_basics

• 2. Re: Katy Perry firework effect
            paulworkforcetraining Level 1

Ah, there is a music video for the Katy Perry song fireworks, in which fireworks stream from peoples torsos. I already know after effects basics, and needed specific help.

• 3. Re: Katy Perry firework effect
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What exact part of the process are you having trouble with? It is highly unlikely that anyone is going to know exactly what part you're trying to achieve and give you an end-to-end tutorial for a complex result. If you ask specific questions, we can help.

• 4. Re: Katy Perry firework effect

so as indicated by the title the effect is a firework effect, what I'm trying to do is add this effect to a video clip, ..... so maybe someone who might want to help, might be able to suggest which effect I could use, also indicate if I should be using the effect on the video clip itself or on an adjustment layer? I'm not asking for someone to do the clip for me, but to suggest which effect I should be using, and how it might be added to the clip.

• 5. Re: Katy Perry firework effect
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 5.32.32 AM.png

A picture is worth a thousand words. Think  about the shot for a moment. The fireworks look real. I would guess they were shot against a black background for easy luminance keying. You could create something similar with a particle generator. If the fireworks are shot perfectly then you could simply use a screen blend mode to add them to the video.

There is no plug-in that will create this entire effect. Carefully looking at this still frame grabbed from YouTube tells me the following:

There are foreground and background elements which mean rotoscoping. If you do not know what that is then do some research on the process. Basically you start by duplicating the live action footage and masking foreground and background elements.

There is some camera movement in some of the shots so motion tracking or camera tracking are involved.

The glow where the fireworks seem to be illuminating Katie's dress and her face are achieved by using blend modes and copies of the firework elements or simple blurred solids tracked to the action like the light on her chin. The lighting effects on her face may have added in production by assistants directing small light sources to her face so there would be less work to do in post and the effect would be more realistic. I have used that technique many time on the set for fire scenes and other scenes where the composite would involve cgi elements that emitted light.

When you need help with a specific effect try grabbing a still frame and think about the elements. When you get stuck on how to accomplish something you can't figure out ask a specific question. I hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Katy Perry firework effect
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Those effects were done with Houdini. At the time, there was an article on it at FXGuide and it may still be there for reading.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Katy Perry firework effect
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Houdini certainly could generate the fireworks effects. The rest of my explanation holds true. You have to separate into layers and sandwich the effects to make this work.

• 8. Re: Katy Perry firework effect

Thank you Rick for your suggestions they have given me a couple of ideas.

• 9. Re: Katy Perry firework effect

Thank you the the tip Mylenium. I have gone to the Houdini page to check it out. I think I am interested in learning more. However I work for a university and will have to wait for available funds in the future . However I do appreciate the advise.

• 10. Re: Katy Perry firework effect
                            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Houdini certainly could generate the fireworks effects. The rest of my explanation holds true. You have to separate into layers and sandwich the effects to make this work.

Nobody argued that in any way...

Mylenium