11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 12:57 PM by Sofa

Image Placement is off by a Pixel

Sofa

Hi Everyone,

I'm Sofa. I'm an artist. I'm using the latest version of photoshop. Running on W7. I have AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor with 24gigs of ram running on 64 bit with enough hard drive space.

What I'm working on now is compositing passes in Photoshop. These images aren't special, in fact any image I use the problem I have occurs. If recall correctly, this isn't a new bug. I've seen this before in CS3-4.

I've tried looking up solutions here and else where. I turned off Resize Image During Place which sort of fixed the problem. I understand the function is to correctly resize images based on their DPI. Useful to some, but it would be nice if this had more verarity because as someone else stated. We all do not print. Why not have it resize to Canvas? Last I remember, Photoshop was also a compositing application. One benefit from turning this feature off was it gave me images full resolution. I say that because at times it would inappropiately resize my photos thus losing resolution.

So when I go to place an image, its offsets the image by 1 pixel. Let me show you.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2ymgawi.jpg

Now this can get crazy, because it randomly decides which direction it pushes the pixels. This isn't a huge issue, but is very tedious since alignment is critical for composites.

Its getting crazy. This issue also happens when I copy an image into another layers alpha channel. Which ultimately, blew my mind. I don't know where is starts or ends with this pixel pushing. So has anyone experienced this, any solution would be nice.

Thanks,

Sofa

• 1. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Try first doing a Select>All before placing an image and see if that works any better.

• 2. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
            Sofa Level 1

That did not work. Thanks though.

• 3. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Sofa wrote:

I turned off Resize Image During Place which sort of fixed the problem. I understand the function is to correctly resize images based on their DPI. Useful to some, but it would be nice if this had more verarity because as someone else stated. We all do not print. Why not have it resize to Canvas? Last I remember, Photoshop was also a compositing application. One benefit from turning this feature off was it gave me images full resolution. I say that because at times it would inappropiately resize my photos thus losing resolution.

Your understanding is a bit off.   When ever you place or paste an image into a document Photoshop is designed to preserve the size on the image being placed or pasted in.  If the image being place or pasted in to a document has a different DPI resolution then the document its being placed or pasted into Photoshop will interpolate the image being placed or pasted in to the document resolution. So the image size is maintained. It is quite possible that the image may not fit within the documents canvas.  In the case of paste the new layer will be larger then the canvas size. The document canvas will act like a cropping mask.  Photoshop provides an addition option for place.  If the correctly sized image does not fit within the document canvas Photoshop preference resize during place is used.  If its checked on the placed in larger image will be scaled to fit within the canvas. If the image has the same aspect ratio as the canvas it will be canvas size else it will be scale smaller then canvas size.  The smart object layer can be scaled back to it correct size by changing the smart object associated scaling down transform to 100% width and height.

The Preference is a bit confusing because of how Photoshop works and the wording of the preference.    You see place and paste will always resize images that have a different resolution then the document the image is going into.  Some image quality will be lost because of the resize.  Resize during place is your resize to Canvas option.  Aspect ratio must be maintained else the layer will distort.

The only reason I know this is because it drove me crazy when I was scripting my Photo Collage toolkit.  I was force understand how Photoshop works here.  I just hope Adobe will not change Photoshop behavior in this area.  Adobe has been breaking Photoshop for some time now and not fixing bugs they introduce.

Message was edited by: JJMack

• 4. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
                Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

What graphics card are you using? A quick Google search for "Photoshop off by one pixel" gives lots of results, most blaming ATI Radeon cards.

• 5. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel

Sofa wrote:

So when I go to place an image, its offsets the image by 1 pixel. Let me show you.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2ymgawi.jpg

What are you showing ? Do you see problems here Batch Photo Collage Examples  and here  Some Photo Collage Toolkit Examples

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/Populate911_720p.mp4

• 6. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

I've seen this offset myself from time to time.  When it happens it's easy to reproduce - just place one image exactly the same size on another.  For a long while I was seeing placed images offset downward by 1 pixel.

I have never figured out what it's dependent upon, but it may have to do with display drivers.  Right now, with my ATI 7850 and Catalyst 13.12 drivers the registration seems to be fine - no offset.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
                      Sofa Level 1

I'm using a NVidia GTX 470. I blame ATI anyway for everything. lol

• 8. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
                        Sofa Level 1

Yes exactly Noel. I've noticed it in the past. It use to offset it up. I'm using the latest driver updates. Though I will try playing around in that area hoping it solves this issue.

• 9. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
                          Sofa Level 1

JJMack, I read your breakdown few days ago in search of this solution. Again I thank for your assistance in the community.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4781766#4781766

• 10. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel

I see.  Here is why I may have never noticed your problem..

After I place in images I normally size them for an area. Often they have a different aspect ratio then the area. So I resize them so they will fill the area. When they have a different aspect ratio then the area the resized image size will exceed the area. Either the width or height will be exactly right  and there will be excess image in the other dimension. Therefore I will set a selection for the image area that may be any shape. Then I will align the placed image smart object layer to the vertical and horizontal center of the bounds of the selection and add a layer mask to the placed image layer of the active selection. This acts are a cropping mask. That effectively acts as a centered crop.  No cropping is actually done and the layer mask added is un-linked from the smart object layer contends. So after the script automation the images can be moved some manually and even transform to enhance the image composition.  In fact any rotation or perspective distortion needed must be done manually after the script automation. If Photoshop messed up by a one pixel offset the way my scripts work the one pixel offset error would be corrected during the alignment.

• 11. Re: Image Placement is off by a Pixel
                              Sofa Level 1

I would like to note that these are render passes broken down from a single image. I'm essentially compositing the rgb channels. With that said, the misalignement is replicating the effects of chromatic aberration.

I'm just not going to use Photoshop to composite for now.

Thanks anyway guys.