5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2013 11:06 AM by John_Picton

Where do i put my .8bf files in CC

John_Picton Level 3

Hi all

I am sorry - I know this is pretty basic!

Where on a Windows 7 64 bit system do I put my .8bf files?

I did a search of my programs files folder (not x86) and it came up with a folder that had some files in (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Required\Plug-Ins\Filters) but when I put filters in to that folder they still dont show up in the filters menu in photoshop.

I realise it is entirely possible that the filters I am trying arent compatible with CC (they worked with CS5.5) but I want to know that I am at least trying the correct folder.

TIA

John

• 1. Re: Where do i put my .8bf files in CC
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Folder "Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Plug-ins" and 32bit one go in  "Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC\Plug-ins"

• 2. Re: Where do i put my .8bf files in CC
            John_Picton Level 3

Thanks JJMack.

I had already tried the folder you suggest (as it appeared the most obvious). It was when that didnt appear to work that I did a search that found the other path.

I now realise that the problem would appear to be that the filter I was trying to move is probably not compatible as other filters I have put in the folder you suggested are working.

So that was the long answer.....

The short answer is that you were right, and thank you very much!

Cheers

John

• 3. Re: Where do i put my .8bf files in CC
              John_Picton Level 3

Just to add an update to my own question.... A bit more experimentation identified that the plug-in I was trying is compatible with 32bit Photoshop CC and it works if I use it in there.

So a supplementary question... Is there such a thing as "bridging" software that will allow 32bit plug-ins to work on 64bit CC?

I can understand why it would be difficult to "bridge" 64bit Plug-ins to work in 32bit CC, but surely less difficult running 32bit plug-ins on 64bit CC...

Cheers

John

• 4. Re: Where do i put my .8bf files in CC
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I'm quite sure it possible to write a plugin that will work in either it just requires code for the 32 bit and 64 bit environment and some test to see which its being run in and use the approbate code. But I know of no emulator or tans coder that will allow you to run a plug-in an environment is was not coded for.  Check with the maker of the Plug-in the may have a 64bit version available....

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Where do i put my .8bf files in CC
                  John_Picton Level 3

Thanks JJ - I suspected as much.

I know that with VSTs in the music plug-in arena such bridging software does exist (jbridge) hence why it was worth asking the question here.

Thanks again.

Cheers

John