4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2013 1:54 AM by sanganeb

nikon d7100

sanganeb Level 1

i have a d7100. i have cs5 with bridge, if i use elements12, or lightroom5.3 or dng ,can i still use bridge or not .how do i interface with my existing system

• 1. Re: nikon d7100
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which things will work for you depend on what you actually do with your images in Bridge and CS5 and what sort of computer and operating system you are using.

Do you use Bridge to rate and flag and keyword your images or as just a file-browser to find them?

You can convert to DNG using and use your existing Bridge and CS5.

If you get PSE12, you can use its Organizer and Editor to work with your images although Elements won’t have as many tools as PS does.

If you get LR5.3 you can import into LR, and from within LR you can use Edit in PS CS5 with LR Adjustments and do things in Photoshop. 

I would personally use the last option, having purchased the PS-CC+LR-CC for $10/month subscription.

• 2. Re: nikon d7100
            sanganeb Level 1

the computer has windows 7 pro64bit, i5twrcore , 16gb ram, 500gb

hrd,120gbstd scratch.

I only use the bridge for files and browser, then transferring to separate

hdrs.

the use  of dng looks good

how does it work ? do you lose quality? and does this apply to other camera

used at the same time d610 ect

many thanks

• 3. Re: nikon d7100
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The issue with trying to open a recent camera raw file using an older Photoshop, is that the ACR plug-in doesn’t know about the camera profile for the raw file.  The conversion to DNG with a newer DNG Converter will take the original raw data and combine it with the camera profile and creates a DNG package that has enough information for an older ACR plug-in to interpret the raw data with.   The raw data is the same and it is just the camera profile and other camera-specific parameters that the DNG Converter adds to create the DNG file.

The DNG Converter needs to be new enough to know about the newer camera model, and typically you’d just want to download the newest DNGC unless for some reason it doesn’t work with an older computer OS you might be using.  Your Win7 is new enough, so get the DNG Converter 8.3 from http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates

Once it is installed, you need to run it on a folder of your NEFs and convert them to DNGs, paying attention that you’ve set your DNG Compatibility options to an old enough ACR version, maybe 6.x.  I think it defaults to 7.1 which is CS6’s ACR and would be too new.  The DNGC works on an entire folder of images at a time so you won’t see your NEFs listed in the folder selection browser, and you should just click on the name of the folder containing your images, not double-click into that folder.

One thing to decide is if you want to delete your NEFs as part of the conversion process or not.  NEFs can be read by Nikon and other vendor’s software, but DNGs may only be readable by Adobe software.  If you are in a high-volume photography business and don’t keep your raw files very long, anyway, then who cares, but if you typically keep your raw files for a long time, then keeping your NEFs is probably a good idea.  I would put them in a subfolder or peer folder of your DNGs so they are nearby but don’t clutter your Bridge view of the current folder.

The DNG Conversion can be used on different cameras as long as the DNGC is new enough. 

Personally I find DNGs annoying because of the need for conversion and the desire to keep my original raw files so would have double the space usage.  I used to use Bridge and PS, but now do most everything in Lightroom, and find the PS+LR US$10/month affordable and a much better deal than upgrading my PS and LR every year or 18 months like used to happen for more than double the cost.

• 4. Re: nikon d7100
                sanganeb Level 1

hi after many months of trying to get correct tech info you have explained

it completely many many thanks