5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 2:32 AM by Migintosh

Bluetooth NumPad

SeagerD

I just got a bluetooth numpad to work with my MacBook Pro. While inDesign recognises it as a NumPad, I still cannot get Paragraph shortcuts to work.

Funny thing is, when numlock is ON I don't get any error sound, just nothing happens. When NumLock is of, obviously it gives me an error sound.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help, happy holidays!

• 1. Re: Bluetooth NumPad
          Migintosh Level 4

Are you trying to apply shortcuts that were programmed before you got the numberpad (like those created in earlier documents with a full keyboard that you would use with a desktop computer), or have you tried creating new shortcuts and they don't work? If the former, I'd try the latter. If nothing works, does the number pad work to type numbers?

• 2. Re: Bluetooth NumPad
            SeagerD Level 1

I have tried both. It will not accept full keyboard defined shortcuts ir accept any new ones. But I can use it to type numbers, and as directional keys if numlock is turned of.

I have a feeling it's something to do with the face that I'm pressing commanf in the laptop keyboard and a numpad number on a seperate keyboard... Probably doesn't understand them like this...

• 3. Re: Bluetooth NumPad
              Migintosh Level 4

danzo234 wrote:

I have a feeling it's something to do with the face that I'm pressing commanf in the laptop keyboard and a numpad number on a seperate keyboard... Probably doesn't understand them like this...

Do you mean the Function key?

apple-mbp2011-15-keyboard-lg.jpg

If so, I don't think you need to do that. You would use that key if you wanted to turn the JKL keys into 123 keys, but with an external numberpad hooked up, you should just be able to type numbers without the fn key.

• 4. Re: Bluetooth NumPad
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't think that's what he means. Style shortcuts require both a modifier key and a number key.

• 5. Re: Bluetooth NumPad
                  Migintosh Level 4

I think you're right. He had a typo, and I saw that F on the end of Command and my brain went right to the fn key. That said, it shouldn't matter that the modifiers are on the laptop and the number pad is external, so something is up.

To the OP, if you have a regular full keyboard that you can hook up, it might be worth seeing if the keys on an external will work. If nothing else, just to know if the software is working.