2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2006 9:26 AM by Newsgroup_User

Fonts messing up on non-english windows

Kevin_Boyd Level 1
      I'm using Director 10.1 and Flash 8 Xtra for a 5 language DVD-ROM, English, Spanish,French, German and Italian. The etxt is stored in Director code and sent to several Flash 8 movies to display them

Got results from my testing house today to say certain characters not appearing when Spanish and Simplified Chinesse set as OS Language on Win XP SP2. Both my flash movies and Director text fields display ? instead of the relevant character. Sometimes the character has an accent above it othertimes just a regular letter like e or g. I am using embed fonts in both Director and Flash. Avenir LT 85 Heavy seems to generate these ? and on some screens in Director using regular text members the layout messes (words apearing one character at a time on a line) when I use Avenir 45 Book.

Now on my UK PC all 5 languages display fine, it's just on these test machines.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Thanks

Kevin Boyd
        • 1. Re: Fonts messing up on non-english windows
          wgb14 Level 1
          Have you tried to install the coreesponding fonts on your test machines? I blieve that if a font is missing from a machine director will replace it automaticaly with a default font, somethign which usually result to the effect that you are describing
          • 2. Re: Fonts messing up on non-english windows
            Level 7
            > Have you tried to install the coreesponding fonts on your test machines? I
            > blieve that if a font is missing from a machine director will replace it
            > automaticaly with a default font, somethign which usually result to the
            effect
            > that you are describing

Shouldn't be an issue if the font is embedded. The only thing I can think
            of is make sure that you're using the embedded version of the font for every
            text/field object. (There should be an * next to the font name.) Also, is
            this text set by the program? Or is it entered by the user? If it's
            user-entered text, a non-English keyboard may be inputting foreign
            characters which your embedded font may not support. (Particularly the
            Chinese one.) If it's necessary for the foreign-language user to input
            text, you may have to make some sort of conversion code to make sure that
            it's fully compatible.

I really hope that Adobe can do what Macromedia never would and put Unicode
            support into the next version of Director. Most problems like this would go
            away if they did that.