16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 2:25 PM by Arsalan

Will upgrading my PC, speed up PPro CS6 processing?

Arsalan

Having been a pro photographer for a few years now, my team is now gradually stepping into the video world (primarily weddings). Our current systems are of the same configuration.

Intel i7 2600 (about 2 years old model)

nVidia 9500 GT or GTX (can't remember which but it is probably 3-3.5 years old)

16GB RAM

256GB Intel SSD and two 5400 RPM HDDs. (Adobe applications run off of the SSD while the data files are on the HDD)

With the above configuration, our PCs zip through Lightroom 4/5 and Photoshop CS6. However, when it comes to video editing, my video ediotr is pulling her hair out and yesterday she said she wanted to jump out the window. The slow rendering and exporting speeds aside, applying minor effects takes the system into think mode for several seconds. It is not even funny! I spent a day on a video and no wonder, my poor editor is going crazy.

So I went into a computer retail store, explained my scenario in detail to one of the several sales persons. She ended up calling the manager who seemed to know what he was talking about. The following is what was recommended.

i7 4900 series (4th generation)

nVidia 780 Ti (I was told this card alone would make me see a big jum in graphic processing speeds)

Asus Motherboard (X97) which he said isn't out until another month or so

32 GB Memory

1TB Samsung Evo SSD

3TB HDD (7200 RPM)

I was told I would see my graphics processing speed go up by about 75%. That would be the best thing since sliced bread, but is that claim a bit exaggerated? Once we finish 2013 projects, I am going to format all systems and do fresh install of all Adobe applications and see if that helps at all. If not, I will replace one of the systems with the new one which would cost me almost double (~$3600) of what I had budgeted.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Were the folks at the computer store just trying to make a sale or is worth spending 4Gs on a computer that will save my team days of frustration and unproductive paid time. My team and I will certainly appreciate your feedback and would liek to thank everyone in advance and wish the readers a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.