9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 7:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running

granolakid

(Premiere Elements 11 for Mac) When I play the video that I am near completing, clips of graphs, drawings, and cartoons that I have included which are in focus before I hit the play button go out of focus when the play button is hit.  I find this upsetting and leaves the video looking sloppy.  The clips have been rendered.  Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? I intend to make a DVD and possibly put the video on the web, will this problem that I am having transfer to the DVD?

Thanks.

barb

PS  I have not forgotten all the help you have given me.   I will share my work with you when I am done.

• 1. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're talking about how they look in the Monitor panel when you"re playing the timeline, have you rendered your timeline (by pressing the Enter/Return key on your keyboard) before playback?

• 2. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
            granolakid Level 1

I am speaking about the way they look on the monitor. I just tried doing what you suggested and then went back to some of the clips that I am having trouble with and pressed the play key.  The clips are still out of focus.  When I hit the pause key or the space bar and stop the video, they immediately come back into focus.  I would appreciate any suggestion(s) to fix this problem.  I need it to be right.

Thanks.

barb

• 3. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In Expert View, is there a yellow line above any clips on the timeline or is the line either green or not there?

In any event, what you see in the playback Monitor has nothing to do with how the video will look on your final output.

If you'd like to see what your finished DVD will look like, output your video (or a portion of it) using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube HD preset.

This is assuming your project is properly set up, of course.

Is the first clip on your timeline a video clip? Is there any video in your project? Have you ensured that any photos or graphics are no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size, per my books and the FAQs on this forum?

What are your Project Settings, as listed under your Edit menu?

• 4. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb,

Along with the answers to Steve's questions, and his suggestions, I have a few more questions, please:

1. What is/are the format(s) of those graphics?
                2. In keeping with Steve's suggestion for pixel x pixel size, what ARE the pixel x pixel dimensions now? Are you Scaling up, or Scaling down much, in your Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
                  granolakid Level 1

Hunt and Steve,

The pixel aspect ratio of the graphics is 1.0.  I am scaling up a number of

video clips, a bit but not the still images. I am not scaling anything

down. I am at 100 on the motion scale for the the still images.

There is video in the project.  The first two clips are a quote and

dedication.

Editing Mode XDCAM Ex 720 P

The project settings are (grayed out)  640 by 480

29.97 frames/sec

No field progressive scan

pixel aspect ratio Square Pixels 1.0 (grayed out)

Display Format 30 fps Drop Frame Time Code

Title Safe Area 20  by  20

Action Safe Area 10  by 10

Display format:  Audio samples

I checked some of the still images and they are not larger than 2000 x 1500.

I think I've answered your questions.  If I have missed something, please

don't hesitate to point it out and where I might locate it and I will

respond.

Thanks so much.  Without the forum I would be lost as to what to do when I

am having a problem.

barb

• 6. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
                    granolakid Level 1

There is a yellow line that runs through either closer to the top or closer

to the bottom of  the clips.

barb

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Barbara Harrison <

• 7. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb,

There is a yellow line that runs through either closer to the top or closer

to the bottom of  the clips.

There are potentially two yellow (close in color) lines in the Timeline. The one ABOVE the Clips is the one that will signify that for smoothest playback, one would need to Render the Timeline (hitting the Enter/Return key), and then there is the "rubberband" that runs THROUGH the Clips, themselves. They indicate any Keyframing, or adjustment to the Effects in those Clips, such as Opacity in a Video Clip, or Volume in an Audio Clip. See this image for a visual on those lines:

Orange_Lines.png

• 8. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
                        granolakid Level 1

Thanks Bill.  Besides rendering is there anything else I need to do.  I

have learned so much from this group.

Kind regards,

barb

• 9. Re: Graphs, Cartoons, Drawings Out of Focus when video running
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If Rendering for the smoothest/sharpest playback is not getting you sharp graphics, then we need to step back to Reply #4, question 1 - what is the format of those graphics?

You say that you are Scaling down, some of those. By about how much?

I will create my graphics in either Adobe Photoshop, or Illustrator, and will do 99% of my Scaling there, outputting (Save, or Save_As) to a format, that PrE can handle well. Ps is Raster-based, i.e. pixels, where AI is Vector-based (mathmatically defined), and as PrE and Video are Raster-based, I often use Ps to Rasterize my AI graphics for use in Video. I also do any (or at least most) Scaling in those programs, before Importing them.

Good luck,

Hunt