26 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 5:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1

SJHarris101

Any special instructions for loading and getting Elements 10 to work with Windows 8.1?

After installing Elements 10 on my new Windows 8.1, I have a problem with the video.  This worked find on my Windows 7 machine.  When playing the imported video, I can hear the audio, but do not see the video.  The video plays successfully using the native video player in Window 8.1.  The camera is a Nikon AW100, and format is MOV.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

IF you have an nVidia card, read below... and more information you should post when asking a question... Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

nVidia Driver Rollback PreElements-10 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SJHarris101

The first question is "Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 10?"

Are you working with the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Next, because of the current epidemic of display problems for Premiere Elements 10 users with NVIVIA video cards, I will ask "Does your computer use a NVIDIA video card? Do you have the latest driver installed? May need a roll back. But because of your Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 vs Premiere Elements 10 Windows 8.1, I am not certain this may affect you. Nonetheless, please check it out.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

I have Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12 successfully installed on Windows 8.1 64 bit. The video card is Intel HD Graphics and no problems.

Important to know, "What are the properties of the video that you are importing into the project?" And "What have you or the program set for the project preset based on the properties of those source media?" Based on what I have read of your camera, you are probably dealing with Full 1080p30 (H.264.mov) with Stereo. If so, is your project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

(See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General).

Right now I am pointing to your video card

a. if NVIDIA, possible need for video card driver version roll back

or

b. if not NVIDIA, possible need for video card driver version up date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card.

But, let us see where your details lead us.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SJHarris101

I did not see John T. Smith's post until after I had posted mine.

I think that he and I are on the same hunt for your video card driver. It may or may not be the answer, but it appears to be the most likely place to start.

Your follow up will help define the issue further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                SJHarris101 Level 1

The card is a nVidia GT 640.  It is a fresh 8.1 system (Dell 8500), and I updated drivers before installing Elements.  I'm in the process of re-installinging Elements.  Once done, I plan to roll back to a previous driver for the GT 640.  I'll post the results.  The video souds like the best theory so far.

I did us "Start as Administrator".  Not differnece.   Also have the latest Quicktime.  I installed it after the initial Element 10 install.

The comments from ATR about the video format from the camera are correct.  I also tested using AVI files from alternate sources, and the same results. 

SJHarris101

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SJHarris101

Your follow up makes me think that the issue specific to Premiere Elements 10 users with computer NVIDIA video cards is at the core of our issue.

We will be looking forward to your results. Please review history on this to see what others with the GT640 have had to resort to with regard to the roll back extent.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                    SJHarris101 Level 1

Interesting results.  I uninstalled Element Premiere 10, then re-downloaded from Amazon.  This time I downloaded to a thumb drive instead of the local drive.  Also, did not let the automatic install start.  Instead, I launched hte install using "Run as Administrator".  Before changing the video card driver, I tested.  Video on the time-line works.  Video on the "Thumbnail Preview" does not.  That tells me I can get this to work. 

I'll go ahead and roll-back the nVidia driver and see if it fixes the Preview viewer.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SJHarris101

Sounds very, very interesting. Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                        SJHarris101 Level 1

I rolled back.  The nVedia control panel shows version 7.7.740.  The nVidia device driver shows version 9.18.13.2660 with a date of 8/9/13..

The time-line video is working.  The preview video is not.  I'm going to start testing from here to see if everything else is wroking.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SJHarris101

How are you opening the Preview Window?

a. Double clicking the video thumbnail in Project Assets?

or

b. Double clicking the video on the Expert workspace Timeline?

Is the GT640 the same as the GTX 640? If so, did you see that HatBat with GTX 640 had to roll back the video card driver version to what was described as 320.49. I am not sure how that coordinates with the number that you have.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                            SJHarris101 Level 1

I'v used double-click on the object in the Expert workspace Timeline, and by doubl-clicking in the Project Area.  Same resulsts for both, no video in the viewer.

The nVidia lists the GTX640 and GT 640 as separate cards.  Off hand I don't know the differnece.  The GT 640 came pre-installed in the Dell XPS 8500.

The audio but no video issue has re-occured.  When I copied the video to the Workspace, it would sometimes prompt wtih "Smart Fix", and offer to fix a video problem.  When that happened, the video was OK in the workspace.  When that prompt did not pop up, the video would not display, only audio.  Poking around I saw that "Smart Fix" was grayed out.  I tried Video Merge instead, and it allowed me to see video.

I'll check the nVidia site tongiht and see if I can locate an older dirver. 

Steve

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the update. We will be watching for further developments.

With regard to those unrequested Fix messages. If you want to get rid of them from popping up....when one does pop up, put a check mark next to Do Not Show Again and click No to the Fix. To change the Do Not Show message status, you can do that in preferences.

Follow up was much appreciated.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

SJHarris,

One quick question, regarding the two nVidia cards: how are they set up, SLI, or run independently?

Good luck, and please do see ATR's articles on PrE 10 + nVidia video drivers.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

For your reconsideration (please refer to post 12)...

SJHarris had written that Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA video card GT 640 were involved in that particular computer environment. I had seen reports about NVIDIA video card GTX 640 used by other Premiere Elements 10 users, and I asked SJHarris about the difference between the NVIDIA video cards that were sold under the name of GT640 and GTX640.

So, it never appeared to me that SJHarris has two video cards in that computer, GT640 and GTX640, only GT640.

Please review and reconsider your reply (numbered 12) to SJHarris.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You have me confused here:

For your reconsideration (please refer to post 12)...

Reply # 12 is my post, asking for the configuration of the two nVidia cards.

What are you trying to point me to, my own post?

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

SJHarris's computer uses only one video card, that is, the NVIDIA GT640. And, that is what this user and I were discussing just prior to your post 12.

From what you wrote in your post 12, I got the impression that you thought that SJHarris was using a dual video card system of some kind with a GT 640 and GTX 640 duo. Wasn't that what you wrote? If not, please clarify.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                        SJHarris101 Level 1

I have just one video card, the Vidia GT640.  I don't konw the differnece between a GT640 and the GTX640.  The GT640 was delivered with a stock Dell XPS 8500.

Checking the nVidia site I've found older and new drivers and nVidia Control panels.  However, with each I've tested (three older and one newer) I get similar results.  I can review video from the Timeline.  The Thumbnail preview (double-click a thumbnail to open the Preview) plays sound but not video.   

I'm thinking the improvement has more to do with the re-installation, or with an updated Codec I picked up somewhere while testing.  No way to know if sure without starting with a fresh install of the OS, and starting the Premiere install and driver install fresh. 

At this point I'm going to stick with the newest non-beta driver; 331.82.  I can play the video in the timeline, but not in the preview.  I'll keep an eye on this site for any new findings, or post if nVidia posts a fix.

Thans for the help.

Steve

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I have just one video card, the Vidia GT640.

Thanks for that info.

The reason that I asked about the video cards, was because it appeared from an earlier post, that you had two. What most people do not realize is that most Adobe programs have issues with SLI (two, or more, nVidia video cards), or Crossfire (two, or more AMD/ATI video cards). This can affect various programs, that do not do well with either SLI, or Crossfire, such as Premiere, Photoshop or After Effects.

With only one nVidia video card, then I think that ATR will help you, regarding a roll-back for the nVidia driver for PrE 10. I just did not want you to be faced with an issue with SLI, regardless of the video driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. The follow ups were very much appreciated.

There has to be an answer. The absence of a Preview window keeps you from trimming your imports among other things. I will think about this some more.

I was exploring my Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Works fine Edit Mode monitor and Preview Window. That computer has a Intel HD Graphics video card. When I was in the Project Media List View, I noted that, if I right clicked an empty space there, I would get a bunch of options which included Refresh. How about trying that and then double clicking a file there to determine if the Preview Window would open with video displayed.

I have something else I would like you to try. You say that you can double click your file in Project Media to open the Preview Window but no video displayed. Nonetheless what happens if you then click in the Preview Window Monitor and drag from there to the Timeline. Do you end up with a file on the Timeline whose image you can see in the Edit Mode monitor?

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                              SJHarris101 Level 1

I tried the refresh.  It did not make a difference.  I also opened the Preview Windows.  Still blank, but when dragging the preview window to the timeline, I get the SmarFix prompt (see below).  Answering Yes to that prompt allows me to proceed with viewing and editing from the time-line.

The "Smart Fix" prompt does not always open.  I not found rhyme or reason to why  it sometimes is presented, and sometimes not.   In those cases where it is not presented I only get audio when playing from the time-line.  When that happens, selecting something like "Video Merge" seems to correct the time-line video play.    Incidently, I when playing from the Preview, I also get audio, just not video.

Steve

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Interesting follow up.

With regard to the Smart Fix...I am not sure if I have a handle on that one's appearance and disappearance, but check out the preference setting under Edit Menu/Preferences/General and "Show all do not show again messages."

Also check Elements Organizer 10, Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalysis and the disabling of AutoAnalzyer options and the rest there. I dislike the AutoAnalyzer enabled since more often than not I end up with my video clips automatically split and the split clips stacked.

ATR

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                                  SJHarris101 Level 1

Success, I think

I had a chance to go back and test some older drivers.  The preview screen is now working properly.  When playing a video in the viewer (upper left screen) I get both audio and video.

System:

Dell XPS 8500

GT 640 Video Card

Windows 8.1, 64 bit OS

Driver that works:  320.49 (1 July 2013).  You can find this driver at:  http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us.

This is actually a Windows 8 driver.  The 8.1 drivers I tested exhibited the following problems in Adobe Premiere Elements 10:

1. Audio only when previewing a video.

2. Audio only when attempting to play a video from the time-line.

3. If I applied an edit to the time-line video (Brightness/Contrast) or used Video Merge, it would work.  However, that is no way to build a timelapse using thousands of pictures.

4. Occasionally I would notice a memory error when shutting down the computer.

Switching to the oldest Windows 8 GT 640 driver (310.19) cleared the error.  But also crashed during the rendering of 1100 photos.

The oldest Windows 8.1 driver (326.19) has the same problem as the most current (331.82) drivers, as listed above.

I'll do more testing, but look like the GT 640 320.49 driver is the best solution as of Jan 3, 2014. 

SJHarris101

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Magnificent news. I will do a copy/paste of your report and place it in the thread that I started as a reference point for those Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card users caught in this display situation.

We are very pleased with your success. Great work and stict-to-it-tiveness.

Thanks very much for sharing your results which will be extremely helpful to all.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                                      SJHarris101 Level 1

I've been in touch with nVidea support.  They are suggesting that sincethe current GT640 driver works with Premiere Elements 12, Adobe needs to fix the problem with Premiere Elements 10. 

Any chance Adobe would work on and release a patch?

Steve Harris

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Any chance Adobe would work on and release a patch?

Based on history, I would guess a definite no. But, I am not Adobe and have no insider information on this.

Since I had heard reports of NVIDIA helping some Premiere Elements 10 users overcome these display problems, I would have expected a different response than what you got from NVIDIA. Disappointing.

But, in all these reports, I have never heard from NVIDIA nor Adobe as to what in those latest NVIDIA  video card drivers is creating the conflicts.

ATR

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 8.1
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I had hoped that thread like the following would draw attention to the issue, but I do not see NVIDIA nor Adobe taking the bait.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Although we are not Adobe here, we can still make our voices heard. It does not happen all the time, but, just sometimes, voices are heard and action taken.

Definitely make your voice heard by Adobe on the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card matter. In the long run, it is a long shot to help version 10 people, but just maybe it might avoid it happening to another version and its user.

ATR