25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2014 9:40 PM by A.T. Romano

Won’t open projects

Frequentlyaskingquestions

I’ve used my Elements 9 several times before, but not at all in the last couple of months. When I went to use it today, I’m unable to start a new project or load an existing project. When I try to do so, it will be almost all loaded in (the project) and then I’ll get an error message that pops up and says “Adobe Premiere Elements 9 has stopped working” with no other information being displayed that might point me in the right direction. As long as I don’t try to open a project or start a new one, Elements will load/run, but of course that doesn’t do me much good. I’m certainly not an expert in Elements by any stretch of the imagination and don’t have a clue as to where to start. System info – I’m using an up to date version of W7 64bit on an ASUS LGA1156 board with an I5-760 quad core and 16gb of RAM. I tried unloading the anti-keylogger, the anti-virus program, and the firewall. Nothing seemed to make any difference. Where should I look first?

• 1. Re: Won’t open projects
          the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the existing Projects, can you give us details on the Project and the media used, please?

Are any external, or networked drives involved?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Won’t open projects
            Frequentlyaskingquestions Level 1

Unfortunately I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to Elements so I'm not sure what details you're looking for. I can't start a new project or open any of the old ones without having Elements stop running. The old projects are kept on an internal HDD (one of six physical HDDs) which appears to be functioning just fine. This machine doesn't use any external or networked drives. Does that help?

• 3. Re: Won’t open projects
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, then let's step back a bit.

1. Do you have Apple's QuickTime Player installed?
              2. When you start PrE, I would Rt-click on the icon, on your Desktop, and choose Run As Administrator.

Does that help you get to New Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Won’t open projects

As far as I can tell, I do not have QuickTime Player installed. Is there a good way to test this?

Running Elements as an administrator, was not able to start a new project or open an old one.

• 5. Re: Won’t open projects
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

If you could get into a new project, you could check Share/Computer/QuickTime. If QuickTime is not installed, you are not going to see any presets listed for QuickTime. But, since that is not possible based on the description of your circumstances, then

Windows 7 64 bit

Control Panel

Programs

Uninstall a program

then go through the list of programs, looking for "QuickTime - Apple Inc.- 7.74.80.86"

If not there, then download and install

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Do not go looking for QuickTime 64 bit. There is only just QuickTime 32 bit and that is the one you want whether your computer is 64 bit or 32 bit.

ATR

• 6. Re: Won’t open projects

That was the list I checked before and didn't see it listed. I'll install Quicktime and give it a try.

• 7. Re: Won’t open projects

Makes me wonder what happened to the initial installation of Quicktime.  At any rate, I installed Quicktime however it didn't seem to help at all.

• 8. Re: Won’t open projects
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Let us remain troubleshooting only new project creation. That will take out of the equation any possibilities for source media being moved or deleted from a project after the project was saved/closed.

1. Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update version of the program?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

If not sure, try to install it. If you could get into the project, we could look at Help Menu/Adout Adobe Premiere Elements

2. Next, we are going to look for some Premiere Elements pile ups

a. Document/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder...what do you find in that folder?

Media Cache Folder...what do you find in that folder?

b. Users/Owner/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Common/Media Cache...what do you find in that folder?

Please report back before deleting.

3. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and inthe 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

4. If none of the above has any impact, the do an uninstall/reinstall according to the scheme

a. Unistall the regular Control Panel way

b. Run through with ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

c. Reinstall

Do you still have your installation disc or installation files if you do the uninstall/reinstall routine?

What about the video card driver sitatuion? Did you convince the others that it was up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

• 9. Re: Won’t open projects

Sorry for the delay. 1. I am at ver 9.0.1. 2a. I have my directories set-up a little differently but I think I know what you’re looking for. In the “Adobe Premier Elements Preview Files” directory there are other directories and they end with a .PRV suffix. All of those directories are empty except for one. In the “Media Cache” directory there are files that have a .mcdb suffix. 2b. That directory contains files that have an .mcdb suffix as well. 3. That directory is empty except for a file named “Trace Database.txt”. I haven’t deleted anything yet. 4. I’ve learned through the years that using registry cleaners do more harm than good so I won’t use them anymore. Do you still want me to uninstall/reinstall Elements? Yes, I do have the discs. 5. Nothing concerning the video card has changed since the last time I ran Elements. I would have to think the driver is fine as everything else still works correctly.

• 10. Re: Won’t open projects
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

There are 2 Media Cache. The one by default in Documents contains the conformed audio files (cfa and pek) sets. You can delete them. Worst case, the program will conformed that audio again automatically if it decides it is necessary. The other Media Cache is by default in the Common Folder in the Users route. That  Media Cache contained the conformed video files (.mcdb). These also can be deleted. Worst case, the program will conformed that video again automatically if it decides it is necessary. In the case of the preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, these are the files automatically generated when you render the Timeline to get the best possible preview of the Timeline content played back in the Edit Mode monitor. If you delete these, you may need to render again your Timeline content for previewing purposes. If you have named your files, you may be able to target just the ones representing the older projects that are not longer important.

Under no circumstances move or delete source media that was imported into a Premiere Elements project after the project was saved closed. Nasty media disconnect issue follow in such a case.

ccleaner has never caused me any problems, but you must move forward with that which you are comfortable. Uninstall/reinstall as you wish, but first try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists.

If worse comes to worse after that, the next step would be to install and use Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 in a new user account with Administrative Priviledges.

If you do the uninstall/reinstall, please do that will antivirus and firewalls off.

Please excuse if you have thought about and done much of the above. I just do not want to take anything for granted.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Any new programs, codecs, plug-ins, and the like in recent months?

• 11. Re: Won’t open projects

I tried what was suggested and it didn't work. So I uninstalled Elements and reinstalled. The first time I went to run it I quickly got an error message that said "Error: 1" and that I should contact Adobe support. Any ideas as to what's going on?

• 12. Re: Won’t open projects
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

That Error 1 popped up in another thread recently. The message to contact Adobe support is expected to result in "no support on a Premiere Elements 9 issue since it is not the current version".

Please check out the following online article on Error Code 1 to see if we can get any help from it for your particular situation.

http://www.wiki-errors.com/err.php?wiki=1

Also check out

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-installation-photoshop-elements- premiere.html

I will see if I can find that other recent thread here that I am recalling that dealt with this Error 1. Please confirm, is the presence of Error 1 new and only there after the uninstall/reinstall? If so, please re-read the details of ccleaner and think about its pros in this situation.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: Won’t open projects

Ok. Apparently I've fixed the Error: 1 problem (don't know how) but now I'm right back to the same problem I was having yesterday even after the reinstall. I can't start a new project.

Are you still thinking it's a registry problem? (uninstall Premier again, run CCleaner, reinstall Premier)?

• 14. Re: Won’t open projects
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Great that you got rid of that Error 1 involvement. Good job.

Please read all the details of ccleaner and consider the uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall scheme. Do the regular cleaner first, and then the registry cleaning part. ccleaner should find and fix the registry issue(s) if anything can. Be sure to say Yes when it asks you if you want to backup the registry prior to the registry clean/fix.

Recently I had a terrible problem with Premiere Elements 12 install on Windows 7 64 bit. I kept getting a Configuration Data is Corrupt for this Product message. Tried just about everything to resolve the issue. Even my trusted ccleaner did not help since the problem turned out to be a missing product name in a registry key. So my search in the registry for the culprit by name was not being found. The key to the solution was an inspection of the computer Event Viewer to find for an error (with description) associated with the event.

Please update us on your progress, and we will decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Won’t open projects

Sorry for  the long delay. I had one more Christmas event to attend.

I uninstalled Premier Elements 9 and although it was against my better judgment, I installed and ran CCleaner.

FWIW – CCleaner is like every other cleaner that I’ve ever used, it wants to delete needed files and registry components. The saving grace about CCleaner that I found different than other programs that I really like is that you can preview items before it deletes them and you can make changes. Nice! I like that a lot.

At any rate, I then reinstalled Premier however I’m ending up with the same results. I still can’t start a new project without having Premier stop running. Bummer.

• 16. Re: Won’t open projects
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the update. Thanks for trying the suggestions. Sorry that the news was not better.

In your initial details, you say that the project almost loads. In the loading display, can you see what is being loaded when the process stops. I looked in your thread but did not see that detail.

Have we established if you are running the program as the 9.0.1 Update version?

A far out consideration (stretching), how about deleting the BadDrivers.txt file if your video card driver is up to date. In version 9.0/9.0.1 and Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the path to the BadDrivers.txt file is

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. The program will create a new BadDrivers.txt file when the program is reopened (if it can be reopened). You can always Restore the deleted BadDrivers.txt file in the Recycle Bin if necessary. And, be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path involved.

Have you considered (for troubleshooting purposes only for now) creating a new User Account with Administrative Privileges for Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

Another thought might be to download installation files from the following and inserting your purchased serial number when requested.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-9-premiere-elements-9-direct-download-links.h tml

Please read the instructions carefully, especially the details of what you need to do before actually clicking on the links provided for the download.

Please review and consider.

Hoping for good news.

ATR

Add on...Please review default hard drive save location for program's files. Do you see your Scratch Files in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0, especially Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Folder?

[Corrected Folder Name, per poster's request - Hunt]

• 17. Re: Won’t open projects

“In your initial details, you say that the project almost loads. In the loading display, can you see what is being loaded when the process stops. I looked in your thread but did not see that detail.” – I’m not sure what the loading display is however in the welcome window I can see where numerous files are being accessed. It must be ok thru that part of it as that window closes and the next window comes up asking me what I want to name my project (I’m leaving it set for the default name My Project) and the location where I want to save it. That window will disappear and the next one pops up saying that My Project already exists and do I want to overwrite. After that window disappears it’s basically all set to use as I see some of the little preview windows for other videos loaded in, but not quite all of them get loaded in before it stops running.

“Have we established if you are running the program as the 9.0.1 Update version?” – Yes. I have installed the update each time I've reinstalled.

“A far out consideration (stretching), how about deleting the BadDrivers.txt file if your video card driver is up to date.” - Just to make sure everything was kosher with the video card I thought I would go back in to the settings and make sure that nothing had changed rather than just looking to see what driver was being used. It didn’t take long before I realized something wasn’t right. To make a long story short, I ended up uninstalling the video card 3 times, and reinstalling it twice. I had great hopes that this was going to fix the problem, but it didn’t. Still the same problem.

I found the BadDrivers.txt file in a different location than what you mentioned (C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premier Elements\9.0), but I figured there was probably only one file named like that so I deleted it and tried it again. Didn’t help.

“Have you considered (for troubleshooting purposes only for now) creating a new User Account with Administrative Privileges for Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?” - I have all administrative rights.

“Another thought might be to download installation files from the following and inserting your purchased serial number when requested.” - Aren’t these files the exact same ones that are on my installation disc? I have my doubts that anything would change, but if you really want me to try it I will (Don’t mind me – I’m just whining because I’m getting tired of spending so much time trying to correct the problem - ha). Let me know.

“Add on...Please review default hard drive save location for program's files. Do you see your Scratch Files in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0, especially Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Folder?” - I’m assuming you mean Desktop\Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0" - There aren’t any other directories within the 9.0 directory and there aren’t any files other than one named “Session.log”

• 18. Re: Won’t open projects
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the progress report. The good and bad news are that you are further into the program's project than I thought you were.

Apologizes...I messed up with my typing fingers. The correct route for the BadDrivers.txt file is through Program Data not Program Files. Sorry about that. Corrected account appears below since I do not have privileges to get back into the post where the path originally appears and correct it there. I will see if I can get Hunt to change that there so that someone does not read that and not move on to see the following correction.

A far out consideration (stretching), how about deleting the BadDrivers.txt file if your video card driver is up to date. In version 9.0/9.0.1 and Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the path to the BadDrivers.txt file is

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. The program will create a new BadDrivers.txt file when the program is reopened (if it can be reopened). You can always Restore the deleted BadDrivers.txt file in the Recycle Bin if necessary. And, be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path involved.

Files on the disc might have been damaged???, thus the rationale behind using another source for the files. Besides using the source suggested for the alternate files, you could also look at installing from copy of installation disc on the computer hard drive.

There is a recent thread here where a Premiere Elements 12 user can get the program to run only on another User Account with Administrative Privileges on the computer. So, you may want to give that a look....the possible damaged User Account drill.

I have been trying for many weeks now to get the Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor to open on a desktop Windows 7 64 bit computer and have tried everything. No go. I am inventing things to try daily. So I know how you feel with regard to your present situation. I just troubleshot myself out of a bad wireless Internet connection issue for a TV/app situation when I was about to give up. So, today I encourage you "Do not give up."

Before exploring an alternate 9.0 source into which to place your purchased 9.0 serial number, you might just take a another look at your Scratch Files.

a. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks...Check out where each of the items is directed, how much free hard drive space is there.

b. Then direct them ALL to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0. When you set up the project preset, set the Save In for that same 9.0 Folder. This Save In is the location for the project.prel file. With this arrangement ALL is heading to the same place. Is there a respectable amount of free hard drive space on that Local Disc C? As they say, this is just a test. I am not talking about a major project for this test. Just mini test run. Anything to get that new project file (project.prel) file opened all the way to the Premiere Elements Editor workspace.

c. I do not recall if I asked you....if you open to the Elements Organizer 9.0, can you right click one of the thumbnails there, select Edit with Premiere Elements, and get the Premiere Elements Editor workspace to open?

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: Won’t open projects

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Feeling frustrated because I’ve had to spend so much time on this, I’m out of time this weekend to work on it some more, and it’s back to my regular job tomorrow. I usually don’t get much time during the week to work on problems (although I get New Years Day off this week). I’m not going to let this drag out for weeks (I like your determination) because for me it’s just not worth sticking that much time into it. If I can’t get it resolved by the end of next weekend I’ll pull the plug. To me it’s looking more like this is a memory conflict issue anyway (gut feeling at this point) probably caused by a bad install of something somewhere along the way. It’s a pain in the neck, but I’ve found in the past that wiping the C: drive and spending a couple of days reloading and re-tweaking everything has always taken care of memory conflicts. And of course the machine usually runs a little faster too. But for now I’m still going to keep trying your ideas and keeping the fingers crossed.

As I mentioned a few days ago, I’m still a newbie with Premiere. Would you explain what a Scratch File is please?

“a. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks...Check out where each of the items is directed, how much free hard drive space is there.” – I can’t get that far into the program. Without having a project loaded, almost everything in the menus are grayed out. Only the generic help files are available. As far as HDD storage space goes, the only things on my C: drive are programs. I don’t store any data on that drive, and there’s still 632gb of open space left on it. All of my data files are kept on other internal HDDs.

“c. I do not recall if I asked you....if you open to the Elements Organizer 9.0, can you right click one of the thumbnails there, select Edit with Premiere Elements, and get the Premiere Elements Editor workspace to open?” – Organizer stops running at about the same point a new project does. The thumbnails just about get loaded in, and then it stops running. That happens whether I try from Photoshop or Premiere.

I don’t have any more time tonight to work on this so I’ll get back to you when I’ve tried setting up another user. Then if that doesn’t work I’ll try the download. Thanks for sticking with me. It’s appreciated.

• 20. Re: Won’t open projects

Update: I set-up another administrator user tonight. Unfortunately I got the exact same results as before the three times I rebooted. I’ll try the download next.

• 21. Re: Won’t open projects
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the update. Again, wish the news was better. In the spirit of never give up.

Keep in mind I do not work for Adobe and am not affiliated with it in any way, so the following is not a marketing pitch. There have been times when the installation of a later version of Premiere Elements has been the spark needed to get an older product to start working.

It is worth your while to download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe. Leave version 9.0/9.0.1 installed. Just do not run the two at the same time. There have been several threads lately about Premiere Elements 12 start up failures, so I hope that I am not getting into more trouble than it is worth. I am trying to think positive thoughts about this idea.

It is a win win situation troubleshooting wise.

a. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 gets sparked into action.

b. Premiere Elements 12 works without issue and we zero in on 9.9/9.0.1 program flaws.

c. If neither of them work, we zero in on the computer environment.

More later.

ATR

• 22. Re: Won’t open projects

Happy New Year! I tried the download version. I got the same the exact same results as before. It’s been a couple of days since our last posts, do you still think I should try v12?

• 23. Re: Won’t open projects
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Happy New Year 2014 and always.

Sorry your news about Premiere Elements 9 was not better.

Yes, I think it is time for the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe. As I mentioned in a prior post, doing this is a win win situation.

It is a win win situation troubleshooting wise.

a. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 gets sparked into action.

b. Premiere Elements 12 works without issue and we zero in on 9.9/9.0.1 program flaws.

c. If neither of them work, we zero in on the computer environment.

We will be watching for the results and keeping positive thoughts on this.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 24. Re: Won’t open projects

I’m pulling the plug on trying to get Premiere to run. I’ve just discovered a problem with another program so it’s probably not anything in either program. It’s somewhere else. I may, or may not, come back to the Premiere problem depending on what I find or don’t find.

Thank-you for taking so much time in trying to help me with the problem. It’s appreciated. It’s because of knowledgeable people like you who are also willing to help others is what make help forums work. Kudos to you. Hope you have a good 2014.

• 25. Re: Won’t open projects
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks again for the updates.

If you decide to revisit the Premiere Elements situation, we would appreciate the opportunity to help you sort through the details to get you moving forward with your video editing projects.

Best wishes for the new year and always.

ATR