9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 7:41 PM by the_wine_snob

premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project

vid_2

I have many projects created in Premiere Elements 10.  What is the process for importing those projects into Premiere Elements 12?

• 1. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There are no guarantees that a previous version's PREL will Open in a later version, and many have experienced some problems. However, I would just navigate to the PrE 10's .PREL files, and Open. There might be errors, or warning messages, so make careful notes of any.

Common wisdom indicates that finishing a Project in the version, in which it was started, is the best course of action, but going up in version number stands a greater chance of success, than trying to go backward.

Good luck, and we will be watching to see how the Opening of the older version's Projects works in PrE 12.

Hunt

• 2. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
            A.T. Romano Level 7

vid_2

First, it is always good to complete a project in the version in which it was created. Now with that out of the way....

Mini test run...

With a copy of one of your version 10 projects, right click the Premiere Elements 10 project.prel, select Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 12. That is assuming that Premiere Elements 10 project.prel and Premiere Elements 12 program are on the same computer with the source media for the Premiere Elements 10 project.prel still in the same hard drive save location on that particular computer.

If this is going to be a computer to computer deal, then you might consider saving your Premiere Elements 10 projects via Project Archiver/Copy option, transferring the Copied Folder to USB Flash Drive, and using the USB Flash Drive with the Copied Folder in computer 2. In computer 2, open the Copied Folder, right click the project.prel, select Open With, and then Premiere Elements 12.

Please review. If any questions or if you need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

vid_2

I did not see Hunt's post until after I had posted mine.

I would ask him to reconsider and you to consider...do not

I would just navigate to the PrE 10's .PREL files, and Open. There might be errors, or warning messages, so make careful notes of any.

That is asking for trouble, depending on what you have installed on the computer.

Instead of Open, please use Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 12 as I have detailed in my post.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Exactly what differences do you see between Open, from PrE 12, and Open With from Windows Explorer? They both invoke the Open procedure from PrE, and the only difference that I see between them, is the navigation built into Open With, that navigates to PrE 12. If one has installed PrE 12, after PrE 10, then the OS's file associations, for .PREL files, should have been set to PrE 12 already.

Just curious.

Hunt

• 5. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

You seem to see the problem with Open and Open With, but you do not seem to be linking it to what I wrote....

That is asking for trouble, depending on what you have installed on the computer.

Again, lots of difference between Open and OpenWith depending on what you have installed on the computer.

In this instance, Open is waste of time and energy when a click away is Open With which will get you to where you want to be without any annoying detours.

ATR

• 6. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Considering the difference between Open and Open with (at the Windows level) is the file associations, I still do not see what you are talking about.

The "Open" process will be the same IN PrE, as that is the program's internal process. Open With just bypasses the Windows File Associations.

What will interfere with Open, that will be bypassed by Open With?

Hunt

• 7. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
                      vid_2 Level 1

ATR and Hunt,

My original question about importing Premiere Elements 10 projects into Premiere Elements 12 has been solved.

The "open with Adobe Elements 12" path does work for getting the Elements 10 video files into Elements 12.  I was looking for the "Projects Tab" view from Elements 10 in the Elements 12 screen.  That appears to have become the "Project Assets" tab under the Expert view. 

Thanks for the various replies, they obviously helped get me pointed in the right direction.  I am using an iMac running Mac OS 10.8.5, and I don't know if there are issues related to "open" versus "open with" in Windows, I will defer to those skilled in Windows.

Thanks again, for me, this problem is solved.

vid_2

• 8. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

vid_2

Thanks for the good news that you have found the answers to your questions on Premiere Elements 10 Mac projects in your Premiere Elements 12 Mac. Good job sorting through the details.

Continued success.

The follow up was much appreciated.

ATR

• 9. Re: premiere 10 project to premiere 12 project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Excellent news on Opening the older Project in PrE 12.

Where the most problems manifest themselves, is when some function/Effect/Transition, etc., was used in the earlier Project, which is not available in the newer version. That was why I mentioned recording any error, or warning messages. Premiere (both flavors) is really pretty good at handling Projects from earlier versions, but as the program can change, version to version, there can be issues.

As an example of the problems, I had to Open a Mac Premiere 6.5 (before PrPro) in PrPro, on a PC. I worried about what would happen. In my case, that old Project (even on a different platform) Opened almost perfectly. However, there were three Transitions, that the previous editor had used, that were not available on my PrPro on a PC. Premiere notified me that there were missing Transitions, and even told me the exact TimeCode that they were used, plus the name of those Transitions - missing to me. It was then a simple matter to record those TimeCode markings, go to the Sequence's (a function in PrPro, but think mini-Timeline) TimeCode, then just add a Transiton, that I had - Cross-Dissolve worked perfectly. Thanks to Premiere, it was a very simple matter, and easily handled. I was up and ediitng that Project in minutes.

And I am especially happy that things worked for you on a Mac, as most of us are PC-only folk. Our hardworking MOD, Steve Grisetti, is an exception, as he is bi-platform. If things get Mac-centric, I always defer to him. Though there are strong similarities, with each platform, there are differences, as well.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt