5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 6:15 AM by the_wine_snob

Cant use new fonts in Premiere Elements

VideoHero Level 1

You would think that simply installing a font would make it work in Elements, but that would be too simple. I installed a new font on my PC, and it works everywhere else (open office etc), but it does not appear in the drop down menu in premiere elements. Why? Using windows 8.1, and premiere elements 12.

• 1. Re: Cant use new fonts in Premiere Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

VideoHero,

Usually, when one just installs a font into the System, then other programs can use that font. However, PrE's Titler is very, very sensitive to fonts, and ones that work with other programs, i.e. Office, etc., just will not work in PrE. It can range from a font not being seen, to a font not displaying, or even to the point of crashing Titler. Photoshop, and Illustrator are also very sensitive to fonts, but not AS sensitive, as PrE's Titler.

To function in Titler, the font must be perfectly written, and many are not. Exactly which font is causing you this problem? Which type foundry created it (Adobe, ITC, Chank, etc.)?

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Cant use new fonts in Premiere Elements
            VideoHero Level 1

hello, a textfile that came with is says it was made with fontstruct. It is a ttf file.

• 3. Re: Cant use new fonts in Premiere Elements
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have Photoshop on your computer?

The reason that I ask, is I wonder if other Adobe programs have the same issue with that particular font. Ps is sensitive, but not quite so much, as PrE's Titler.

Some time back, one user had issues with some Korean fonts. They were not seen by PrPro's Titler (very similar to the one in PrE). I could not get them into Ps, AI, or InDesign either. However, we found very similar Korean fonts, that DID work perfectly in Titler - just not the ones that the user had downloaded. Some fonts are just not written in such a way, that Titler can use them - sometimes they just do not show up (I have plenty of those), sometimes they will not display (one gets empty squares, and I have plenty of those too), and sometimes, the font is corrupt to the point, that Titler will just crash when they are installed. Fonts can be tricky little devils.

Can you find one that is similar enough to suit your needs, by a different foundry? That would be my first course of action.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Cant use new fonts in Premiere Elements
                VideoHero Level 1

Hello. I simply downloaded other similar fonts, and those do work. Thanks anyways!

• 5. Re: Cant use new fonts in Premiere Elements
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

VideoHero,

Glad that you found a similar font, that did not cause an issue with PrE's Titler. It, along with PrPro's Titler, are very, very sensitive to fonts. As mentioned, I have many, which work in other programs, but will not work in any of my Premiere's Titler, and almost as many, which will not work in Photoshop.

Good luck,

Hunt