7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 9:54 PM by A.T. Romano

display driver error message

Zachary N

I currently own adobe premiere elements 11 and have owned it for over 6 months and have used it many times over the past 6 months.  Then all of a sudden today i get an error message saying I need to update my display driver.  My laptop is a Gateway NV51B15u AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350, AMD Radeon HD 6310. The AMD Tadeon HD 6310 is the driver that pops up in the error message.  After that my computer freezes and I have to shut it down and restart my laptop.  I checked to see if there was an update for a new driver and it said I have the latest driver.  I looked at other discussions on this topic which I fould out I could delete the error message and maybe that would work.  I could not find the error message in where they told me to look. Please help.

• 1. Re: display driver error message
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not delete an error message, you delete a text file - Display driver & Baddriver http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1328594

You also should not count on Windows Update to give you correct display driver information

Go to ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

• 2. Re: display driver error message
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Zachary N

If you are getting a message regarding your display card,

a. Verify you have the latest version of the video card driver installed according to the web site of the manufacturer of your video card (in this case it appears to be AMD). If the message persists after that, then you delete the BadDrivers.txt file. I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. If that is the case, you find that BadDrivers.txt file to delete

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

A new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated by the program once you open Premiere Elements 11.0 again.

However, I wonder about all this since you say that "this worked before and not now". Have the properties of your program's source media changed since you used the program last? For that matter, what are the properties of your program's source media and what is your project preset (set by you or the program - See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General)? Also, please verify your computer operating system...Windows?

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: display driver error message
              Zachary N Level 1

Thank you for the link John I got the new update that the source gave me and now it works just like it did before. Apparently Adobe is samrter than my computer knowing it needs an update and my computer doesn't even know it. thanks again.

• 4. Re: display driver error message
                Zachary N Level 1

Well it's fixed. the laptop though is using windows 7. nothing had changed it had only been like 6 days since i had used adobe premiere elements.  Also I don't have a folder saying Program Data once i go into the local disk c. all I have is progrma files and program files(x86).  That's why i couldn't delete the text before when I tried to look for it. Thanks though if just needed an update.

• 5. Re: display driver error message
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Zachary N

Glad to learn that updating your video card driver version was the answer to your issue. Good work by you and John T. Smith.

But, just what is your computer operating system? Is that Windows 7 32 or 64 bit? If it is 32 bit, that makes a world of difference in where one goes looking for files. As I wrote earlier in your thread:

I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Since you say that your Local Disk C does not include Program Data, but does include Program Files and Program Files (x86), I am left to conclude that you are working with a 32 bit operating system.

You realize that under those conditions, your Premiere Elements 11 is a 32 bit application running in a 32 bit system with all the limitations of 32 bit system, including maximum supported installed RAM = 4.0 GB of which 3.0 GB or less of that are available. Premiere Elements 11 is a 64 bit application when run specially in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit and as such can take advantage of the 64 bit resources.

ATR

• 6. Re: display driver error message
                    Zachary N Level 1

It is windows 7 64 bit.

• 7. Re: display driver error message
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Zachary N

Thanks for the additional information.

With Windows 7 64 bit, you should have a Program Data listed under your Local Disc C. Included is an excerpt from mine

7 64.JPG

ATR