3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 10:29 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Photoshop CS5 deleted my file

JasonAnder

Hello.

I've been doing some work for a client for a few weeks now, and today when I was saving it, photoshop crashed. When I started it up again, I noticed the file I've been saving this project on has dissappeared. I looked everywhere, and it's gone. What happened?  I've been working way too hard on this project for all the work to be deleted from my computer for no apparent reason.

As of now, I'm running a file recovery to see if it can find it. Anything I can try or anywhere I can look to find the file?

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 deleted my file
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I think you are out of luck with CS5.  (Later versions have a recovery function)

A crash half way through a save has a very high chance of trashing the file.  A job with a lot of billable hours needs to have periodic saves with different file names.  Not what you want to hear I'm sure

BTW  Photoshop didn't delete your file.  Either your operating system, or computer hardware, deleted the file.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 deleted my file
            JasonAnder Level 1

That's extremely disappionting. This never happened before.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS5 deleted my file
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

JasonAnder wrote:

That's extremely disappionting. This never happened before.

you have never had a computer crash?  Goodness.  You must be unique.   Just bad luck with the timing I guess, but these things happen.  That's why we have backups.

I use Shadow Protect.  It cost $100, and takes incremental saves every 15 minutes to a USB3 external drive.  That doesn't\mean you'd have only lost ten minutes work, but you'd be able to reinstate the last saved version of the file.