8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 5:40 AM by try67

Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...

JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hello,

I need to do a build/rebuild action wizard for building index searches... The more I looked at the Guide References the less I found anything that guide me on how to do that... anybody has done such a task, or action wizard?

Regards,

Jeff P.

• 1. Re: Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The catalog/indexing within the Acrobat PDF usage is a hold over from networked drives or non-web based networks. So indexes are limited to a network or user's storage device. For web based PDF use Adobe PDF IFilter v6.0

See Create and manage an index in a PDF

Indexes for a PDF files reside in many subdirectories and the file structure needs to be maintained, so moving a group of PDFs and index subdirectories and files requires careful attention to the file structure.

Action sequences can not build an index but it can update or rebuild an existing index.

Index
          Index properties
          Index methods

Using the build method with a version of Acrobat 7 or later requires a trusted function that uses a privileged state. Action sequences cannot be started by a timed even.

• 2. Re: Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...
            JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hi,

I have already built these indexes via Document Processing / Full text inex via Catalog. all I want to do is to create an action wizard javascript that I can run/schedule to rebuild these indexes after adding or removing some of the pdfs to the directories and sub directories where pdfs are located.   Looking at the JS guide and reference I did not find any clear example about the Objects, their properties and methods that could be helpful... Explanation is highly limited and poor in 3-4 pages with example that do not even run and does not seems to be correct.

Regards,

Jeff P.

• 3. Re: Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...
              gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Pretty hard to help with "does not work". There are many possible reasons and without specific results and messages anything would be a guess at best. The JavaScript Reference is just that a reference and not a guide or a list of solutions. Also the PDF and Acrobat JavaScript is constantly being expanded, modified, and changed so the reference might not be up to date.

Have you looked at the "catalog", "catalogJob", "index", and "search" object documentation in the Acrobat JavaScript Reference.

What other languages to you program in?

Do you know how to debug a program?

I would start by creating a script in a text editor to connect to the index with error trapping and then try the script in the Acrobat JavaScript console and see if there are any errors. Then add the next step and test until I have a working script.

• 4. Re: Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...
                JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hi,

Yes I have looked at all the Objects, their Properties and their Methods.  the manual I have and downloaded is for 7.0.5.  that almost 3-4 hudred pages has oly talked about the indexing about only 4-5 pages which most are half blank and not a solid example...  And yes I am familiar with the Debugger...  Actually Debugger and Consule seems like they are full of bug themselves... I have noticed a few times that they go freezing and half their pages are blank and by each clicking of the mouse etc desktop make a beep sound and finally I had to kill the take via task manager!!!!?  So really I am not that enthusiastic about them either.

Althogh I am not that sophisticated on the PDF JavaScripting but I have developed 3-5 working Forms for searching and processing... I can built and rebuilt the indexes manually by myself but my goal is to purchase a package that will schedule my Javascrip Action Wizards via scheduler to be run after the Midnight. 

• 5. Re: Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...
                  gchariharan

Hi,

We have pdfs that are around 10k pages. To make searching faster, I am trying to create a script that create index through javascript. Could you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

Hari

• 6. Re: Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...
                    try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I don't think that's possible. You can use JS to get an existing index from

a catalog, but not create it.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:14 PM, gchariharan <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...
                      gchariharan Level 1

I think it is possible to create index..Please look into the Build API of Javacript

• 8. Re: Building/Rebuilding indexes via batch Javascript wizard...
                        try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Do you mean the build method of the Index object? If so, it clearly states in the documentation:

Builds the index associated with the Index object using the Catalog plug-in. This method does not build a

new index.