14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2013 3:56 PM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

SlugHammer

I am using the above program and have saved the file which is 1hr 59 minutes into a folder as MPEG that has 1.71TB free of a 1.81TB drive. I am trying to burn the 5.9GB file onto a DVD which is dual layered.  The disk says the space is free and have tried multiple disks.  When I go to burn it, it gives me a response saying that the disk is something like 4.89GB to small.  I can't burn from my original file b/c I don't have enough hard drive space for the temporary files to burn.  Deleting programs really is not an option.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you attempting to create a DVD? If so, you don't do so by simply burning and MPEG to a disc.

You need to create DVD (.vob) files using Publish & Share/Disc/DVD.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
            SlugHammer Level 1

Hello Steve,

The project is moving VHS to DVD.  I have copied over the VHS.  I used Premiere 12 to make a move with chapters.  My hard disk was not big enough for the temporary folders so I copied to a folder on my E drive, then yes I'm trying to make a DVD.  Can you help me create a DVD (.vob) file?  My question would then be how can I use the Publish and Share if this is on my C drive (which does not have enough room to burn) and the saved file is on my E drive.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has several SHARING links for more information

Premiere Elements creates large temporary files while working... you need to move or delete files on your C drive to make space

Also...

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

It appears that you had also posted to the PrPro Forum, and a MOD Moved that post here. As you have this thread active, I have Locked that thread, that got Moved, so that discussion can continue here, in this one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Matt,

In spite of the fact that Hunt has said that he has locked the duplicate

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1366034?tstart=0

I have been able to post at least twice in it since then. At this point and until that matter is straightened out, I will copy paste what I wrote there here as well

SlugHammer

Given that you have a 5.9 GB file that you are burning to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (8.5 GB/240 minutes), using Premiere Elements 12 (Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, presumed on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. If any of that is incorrect please us know.

These discs have a labelled specification as well as a "in reality" space. For the DVD double layer single sided disc, that 8.5 GB is in reality 7.95 GB. (If you were dealing with DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes, that 4.7 GB in reality would be 4.28 GB).

The important question becomes, when you have your DVD double layer single sided disc in the DVD burn tray and you are in the burn dialog Quality Area prior to the burn, what are the values shown for Space Required and Bitrate there in Quality Area (with a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space)?

Once we have that information, everything else should fall into place.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I have now returned to that other thread, and so far, the Lock is holding.

Thanks for doing a Copy/Paste of your Reply from the other thread, into this one.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                      SlugHammer Level 1

I tried to reply but the thread seems to be locked.

Yes Windows 7 and everything else is right.

The size of the file through the Publish+Share states Space Required: 7.41 GB(Bitrate 8.00Mbps) when Burn to: Disc is selected.   When I hit burn it states “Insufficient disk space on drive for creating temporary burning files.”  I rechecked where I installed and it is in my Drive with 1.71 TB of free space.  Maybe some of my video got caught up in my almost full C drive???  I need to check that. If I click Burn to Folder with choice 8.5GB it states Space Required 1.58GB(Bitrate 1.69MBps), and if I chose the same DVD-Burn to folder 4.7GB it states 1.58GB(Bitrate 1.69Mbps) both have Status as “Insufficient disc space for burning” and both show folder location in my C Drive.  Does this help?

Matt

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SlugHammer

Let us back up on this so that I do not take anything for granted.

You wrote

The size of the file through the Publish+Share states Space Required: 7.41 GB(Bitrate 8.00Mbps) when Burn to: Disc is selected.   When I hit burn it states “Insufficient disk space on drive for creating temporary burning files.”

If the Space Required and Bitrate readings that you quoted were your readings with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space", then the usable DVD double layer single sided disc capacity should have been OK. But, the message does not mention disc capacity. It appears to be targeting "...creating temporary burning files". For me, that means the free hard drive space where the Encoded Files Folders - typically in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/ . Where is that Encoded Files Folder located and how much free hard drive space is there?

Then you wrote

If I click Burn to Folder with choice 8.5GB it states Space Required 1.58GB(Bitrate 1.69MBps), and if I chose the same DVD-Burn to folder 4.7GB it states 1.58GB(Bitrate 1.69Mbps) both have Status as “Insufficient disc space for burning” and both show folder location in my C Drive.

Here I think that you are in trouble with that Bitrate of 1.69 Mbps. That is the lowest possible Bitrate setting. The lower the bitrate the lower the file size, but the lower the quality. Even though you were doing burn to folder here, did you remember to put a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"? That should have given you readings similar to those for burn to disc. Use of "Fit Content to Available Space" would be expected to get rid of the "Insufficient disc space for burning" message in the burn to folder.

Please critically distinguish between Insufficient space on DVD disc versus Local Disk C.

Two critical items for considerations as I see it

a. Free space for the scratch disks

b. "Fit Content to Available Space" use

Please review and let us know what is happening.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

SlugHammer,

I tried to reply but the thread seems to be locked.

Through no fault of your own, a MOD on the PrPro Forum Moved one of your threads from the PrPro Forum. Per instructions, you had posted here, where your post belongs. Then, two things happened:

1. The PrPro MOD did not check that you might have posted here, before they did the Move, and then did not bother to tell us who they were.
                          2. Next, when I saw that there were two identical posts, and the one originally posted here had comments, I thought that I had Locked the other, but something went wrong - Forums? OE on my part? I do not know. ATR responded to that one, the Moved one, which should have been Locked (showed such to me), but had the courtesy to Copy his Reply there, to here. Kudos ATR.

We are now here, where troubleshooting can take place. You got caught in the middle, though you did everything correctly. Now, off to fix your problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                            SlugHammer Level 1

A.T. Romano,

I still can’t seem to repost on the thread.  FYI I did have the button clicked “Fit content to available space”.

I made more hard drive space by deleting programs and it worked great, twice.  I then tried to make 15 copies and when it gets to Burning Disc 1/15 it just stops.  It goes through Encoding and Encoding Media then just stops when it is at Burning Disc at 0% and does not progress. The discs are full when it is done but can’t be read by DVD player.  So I went back to one at a time and now it is getting hung up on the Burning Disc at 5%, of “Burning Disc 1 of 1”.  Thanks for your help thus far.

Matt

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                              SlugHammer Level 1

Also, when I go to get out of the “Burn in Progress” it keeps stating “Adobe Premiere Elements 12 is not responding”.  It is almost as if the program is falling asleep in the middle of burning.  I have no other programs running and have a fairly advanced computer. 

Matt

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Matt,

Are you monitoring the free space in the Encoding Files Folder in the Adobe Folder

Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0/ and that 12.0 Folder which includes that Encoding Files Folder. Limited space there while you are copying all of these DVD-VIDEO on DVDs sounds like the hung up?

If I am understanding the background on this, have you considered doing a burn to disc for 1 and then making copies of that 1 using the exact copy feature of the burn software that came with your DVD burner. It is rarely that I use the Premiere Elements burn to "copies" features for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. And, if I do, I am lucky if I get through the 2 or 3 copies.

From what you just wrote it sounds like you have resorted to 1 at a time and are having hang ups at the beginning of the actual disc burning. Go back to the Timeline, expand the Timeline with the -+ slider, and look for irregularities....most frequently very thin black vertical lines scattered about the track content...also look for audio and transition placements irregularities....

But keep monitoring the situation for those previews and conformed audio and video as well as temporary encoded files.

More later.

ATR

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                                  SlugHammer Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your help thus far, I am learning quite a bit.  I have checked the Encoding Files Folder in the Adobe Folder and with that drive(My E drive)  I have 1 TB of free space.  I now have 14 GB of free space on my hard drive (my C drive from which Adobe Premiere Elements 12 is pulling some of the video his project is using) the one where I was have an error message about temporary folders.  In your last email you were understanding correctly and I just didn’t know that it was difficult to get it to burn multiple copies.  I will learn to use my burn software that came with my DVD burner once I can get a good master copy.

I have tried 3 more times trying to burn the 2 hr DVD but it is still getting stuck at 4-5% during the burn phase.  Everything else goes smoothly up to that point.  FYI I had burned 2 disks but the Menu lettering was screwed up and way to big, otherwise they were perfect and work fine.  I did go through as you instructed and cut out the only 3 areas where I could see any vertical line irregularities.  I’m not 100% sure what I’m looking for with the audio, but all of it looked similar, without any major distortions.  The only thing that I changed from the time it worked (twice) to when it didn’t was I added a pic and audio to the main Menu screen.  Is this a common place for problems?  Am I correct in assuming since the video I’m trying to burn is 1hr and 59 min that when I get a burn lock up at 4% that it would correlate around the 4-5 minute are of the video?  I’ve combed through that multiple times but don’t see anything exciting.  Should I take out the still picture in menu or the audio and see if it will burn? 

Thanks again in advance,

Matt

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Matt,

How many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages did you end up with after you placed all your Timeline markers.

For starters, you could leave your Timeline markers as is. But, do not customize the menu in any way. Do not even put in your own titles and scene button names on main menu or selection page.

See how that goes.

ATR