8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2014 5:02 PM by A.T. Romano

project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?

Pbeck1 Level 1

I created a new movie. I let Premiere Elements 10 automatically choose the project  settings for it after placing 1 clip on the timeline. I've had a look at the  project settings at the end and I'm a bit confused by them.

My source  clips are 1080i 25fps. Premiere Elements seems to have chosen the correct  project settings for me because when I view the project settings it says HD  1080i 25fps.

However, on the project settings window it also says in the  fields section 'no fields (progressive scan)'. Why would it say progressive scan  if the project is 1080i (interlaced)?

I'm now confused what to export my  finished movie as, 1080i or 1080p.I decided on Mpeg2 1080i. Is that  correct?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbecki

If your Premiere Elements 10 project preset is PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 and you are seeing a grayed out Field = No field (progressive scan) in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, I would suggest that you ignore that. If you move on to export, such as, Share/Computer/MPEG or AVCHD, and you look at the description of the Source in the Advanced Button/Video Tab/Export Settings/ it is clearly interlaced video Upper Field first.

I am not sure of the significance of the content of that grayed out field. Will think about it some more, but...

The first thing that we have to do is verify the properties of your source media.

What brand/model/camera/settings are they coming from?

Do you believe your source clips to be 1080i25....

a. 1920 x 1080 at 25 interlaced frames per second

or

b. 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 at 25 interlaced frames per second

If "a", then you select the project preset as

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25

if "b", then you select the project preset as

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080i25

Both "a" and "b" will present as 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

Those are the settings which apply to your video. When you import your video to the Timeline for the first time, do you have no colored line or a red line over its content? A red line would suggest that the selected project preset is not correct? If the red line exists at first import of the file, we should figure out why?

If your video is as represented above (either a or b) and if you wanted to export to a similar format, consider

Computer

AVCHD or MPEG

with preset for interlaced video and 1920 x 1080 frame size (even if you are starting with 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 instead of 1920 x 1080 16:9.

More later.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?
            Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi ATR

Thanks for taking the time with your detailed answer.

My source clips were shot on a Lumix G3 DSLR. Media info says they are BDAV format, AVCHD video, 1920x1080, 16:9, 25fps, interlaced ( top field 1st). My project settings that PreE 10 auto set for me are HD 1080i, 25 fps. The 'fields' section is indeed greyed out but does say 'no fields(progressive scan)'. If I go to export the movie and look at the advanced settings it does say 'upper'. I assume that's indicating its interlaced?

• 3. Re: project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?
              Pbeck1 Level 1

ATR

Can i also ask you this too:

I've exported my movie to a Blu-ray disc (& made a disc image of it) and also seperately exported to a Mpeg file too (both are 1920x1080i 25fps).

The Blu-ray disc image is 8gb in size and the Mpeg file is 18GB, and so a BIG difference (with the Mpeg file being too big really).

Can i ask what the correct procedure would be to reduce the file size of the Mpeg file whilst keeping the frame size the same. I would imagine it has something to do with quality of compression or reducing bit rate, but i'm unsure what the correct procedure would be.

Ty

• 4. Re: project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbecki

Thanks for the follow up.

If you see Field = Upper, that represents interlaced video since fields are characteristic of interlaced video, not progressive.

What is the bitrate of your source video?

I would explore and experiment with the Bitrate settings (Minimum, Target, and Maximum) of you Share/Computer/MPEG (MPEG2 1920 x 1080i25 preset) in determine if you can find a compromise between file size and quality.

We will be watching for your progress. If any questions or if you need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Special attention to the Bitrate units....sometimes you might see Kbps or kbps (kilobits per second) or Mbps (megabits per second). The designations can be confusing. If MBps, that is megabytes per seconds. If KBps, that is kilobytes per second.

• 5. Re: project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?
                  Pbeck1 Level 1

ATR

Thanks once again for your highly valued help

Media info says:

My source clips (all 1920x1080i 25fps avchd) have a bit rate of about 15.7 (max 16.1)

The Blu-ray PreE 10 rendered with them has a bit rate of 15.9 (max 21) and was 8.7GB in size

The Mpeg standalone file it rendered had a bit rate of 29 (max 30) and was 18GB size

I'm guessing it would be logical to render a new standalone Mpeg movie with about the same target bitrate as the source clips (which is also roughly the same values as the Blu-ray rendered at too). So i would use these values: Minimum 15, Target 16, Max 20?

The only thing that worries me is that these settings are lower than the 'low' preset you can use for rendering with (the low preset is min 18, target 22, max 28)

• 6. Re: project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

Some formats can produce high quality at lower bitrate while some cannot.

Try your MPEG2 Blu-ray export with the bitrates that you mentioned. Depending on the results (file size versus quality), then experiment further to determine where you are satisfied with the file size and quality. Do a mini test run before the grand project.

Typically the Premiere Elements export settings are generally optimized. But, with the variation between videos, it is worthwhile to explore and experiment with the bitrate setings in this case.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?
                      Pbeck1 Level 1

Thanks for all your help ATR

Yes, i've managed to render the finished movie to a Mpeg-TS video file of 11gb in size. I managed to reduce the bit rate in the advanced tab when exporting, to a more reasonable level. The advanced tab also confirmed too that the project was in fact interlaced.

• 8. Re: project settings say HD 1080i but the fields section says 'progressive scan'. Why?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

Great news. I have been working on a falling snow for video write up all day and am just getting to the threads here. Where I am, I suspect that tomorrow I will have to deal with the real thing (falling snow) in a big way.

Have a Happy New Year. We are very pleased with your great progress.

Continued success.

ATR