38 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2017 5:04 PM by naseebo83829239

AE freezing & flickering like crazy

tunghoy Level 1

Every so often when I make an edit or import an asset, AE goes NUTS, like it has St. Vitus dance. Usually it settles down after a minute and works normally again, but sometimes it crashes dead. This never happened to me in CS5 or CS6.

Yes, my graphics card is updated as of a week ago (nVidia GeForce GTX) and CC updated the apps two days ago. I'm running on a Core i7 Win 8.1 PC with plenty of available disk and memory.

I also followed Mylennium's suggestions on his blog post:

http://myleniumblog.com/2012/05/15/make-cs6-work-for-you

Anyone have an idea what's going on? Each of my projects has about 6 Premiere Pro sequences dynamically linked. I wonder if that's part of the issue.....

• 1. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
          HoltArts

I have no idea what's going on, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm having the same issue. No idea what's going on. The whole program flickers as if I'm going back and forth between AE and something else at an insane rate. No idea how to fix it--reinstalling didn't do it. I have the same specs as you too.

• 2. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That happened to me once on my Mac Mini. I purged the memory and image caches and it went away and has never returned.

• 3. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
              tunghoy Level 1

The flickering seemed to happen mostly when the program was accessing fonts or effects. It might be an issue with memory (though I have a lot) or disk buffering. Just a guess. I updated to the 2014 version a few days ago, and haven't seen this behavior..... yet.

• 4. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                nullsebasvideo Level 1

This is a very common AE bug, at least on PC, and it seems to me that it happens the more AE has to make use of the graphics card. It's happened to me since at least CS 5.5, then in CS 6 and now CC 2014, on two different machines, with about 3 different graphics cards, and now I have two GTX770 with 4GB of VRAM each, so it's not lack of memory that causes it. In fact, using Element 3D, it happens to me each and every time after I save the project and then I have to start a RAM preview, or move the cursor to a different place in the timeline.

• 5. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                  Chris Tomberlin

I'm having this same issue too. I'm trying to work up a theory on what other things may be contributing to this issue. While it does seem to be related to the GPU, I think it may also be related to file i/o. On any of your machines, have you been connected to a SAN or saving projects to a network volume?

• 6. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                    nullsebasvideo Level 1

Chris Tomberlin wrote:

I'm having this same issue too. I'm trying to work up a theory on what other things may be contributing to this issue. While it does seem to be related to the GPU, I think it may also be related to file i/o. On any of your machines, have you been connected to a SAN or saving projects to a network volume?

No, it's all local drives, and they're fast.

• 7. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've only reproduced this bug once, and it was when the CPU was completely saturated. Even then, I couldn't get the bug to happen more than that one time.

If anyone has any consistent steps to reproduce this, we want to know.

• 8. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                        Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Todd,

Thanks for chiming in on this issue. While I can't necessarily "make" it happen, it happens all the time. Given a few minutes in a large-ish project, I'm sure it would pop up. On my machine, CPU, memory -- NOTHING is saturated when this happens. If you or someone with Adobe would like to spend some quality time with me, I'll set aside some time to work on solving this. I won't even charge you my regular compositing rate...  ;-)

I think it's time we figure it out.

Thanks

Chris

• 9. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                          Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Todd,

I'm working on a project right now where this issue is occurring regularly. Is there a debug or system logging app that you could provide me with that might help capture what is going on? In case you're wondering what this looks like, here's a video:

AE Flicker - YouTube

• 10. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                            Steven J.

I had this issue going on for a long time and between me and the IT department never found the culprit.  Haven't seen it for a while now but not sure if it's due to a new internal scratch drive, moving to CC 2014, moving memory sticks around, or a bunch of other things IT tried.  It was random with the only pattern being that it happened after working in AE for about 15 minutes.  I tried having only AE open and with tons of things open, never made a difference.  I wish I knew what stopped it, but right now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed because for a while it was impossible to accomplish anything in AE.

• 11. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                              nullsebasvideo Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

I've only reproduced this bug once, and it was when the CPU was completely saturated. Even then, I couldn't get the bug to happen more than that one time.

It doesn't seem to me that this is CPU related, but GPU related. It has happened on every GPU I had at least since CS6, in completely different machines, the first one had an AMD 1090T CPU and the current one an Intel i7 3930k with 32 GB of RAM.

This happens to me consistently every time I use the Element 3D plugin, which uses OpenGL extensively, but I remember it also happened while using the Raytracing renderer native in AE. It seems to me that the reason for this flicker is because there is some process created by the GPU that creates an additional window, but it shouldn't. When this happened in CS6, I could see that the AE icon in the taskbar would create an additional square, like when you have a program that has multiple windows open such as Internet Explorer. However, since AE doesn't allow multiple instances, this shouldn't happen.

However, I don't see this double taskbar icon since CC 2014, although the bug remains the same, after each save or autosave, the moment I try to move the cursor to another position it stalls for several seconds (the more complex the scene, the longer it stalls) and the flicker happens for as long as it's stalled.

To me, the cause of the flicker itself lies in a windows focus problem, it's like a new window is created and request Windows to focus on it, but then return to AE, so it's like doing Alt+Tab about 30 times per second. Of course, I'm not a programmer, so my guess could be way off.

• 12. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Todd -

I would appreciate it if you could help me, help you, help me, so to speak. It is Adobe's software that is having this issue, which is affecting your users, and I'm trying to help you troubleshoot it so that together we can improve a product that I and many others are paying every month to use.

Can you tell me if there are logs that AE writes to during it's normal operation? Can you provide me with some sort of debugging tool to try to capture some logs when this issue occurs? It's been occurring every day that I've used AE since my original post, BTW.

Thanks

Chris

• 13. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                  Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Todd (or anyone else at Adobe that might still be listening),

I have some more information for you regarding the screen flickering issue. It happens during file i/o processes. EVERY time I save or the program auto-saves, the flickering happens. It also happens when relinking footage. Also, I've been using the windows event viewer to see if the system reports any errors or activity at the same times as the flickering occurs. I have no idea why, but event ID 4672 "Special Logon" and event ID 4624 "Logon" are reported EVERY time this happens. The time stamps on those events correspond exactly to the time the flickering occurs. The flickering, by the way, has continued every single day I've used After Effects since my original post.

I sincerely hope that these specific notes will warrant some contact from Adobe. I'll likely post this on the COW as well.

Thanks

Chris

WindowsSecurity.PNG

• 14. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks, Chris.

We've been busy with a bug-fix update lately, so we haven't been able to focus on this issue. I'll point someone to this thread now that we've got our 13.1.1 update out the door.

• 15. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                      Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Thanks Todd. Still doing it in the new version too, BTW.

-Chris

• 16. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                        Pengu Studios

Yes, the crazy flicker/freeze happens to me too. Often. Everytime I save a element 3d project, for example. Has happened in other instances too, but that is the most consistent behavior I can report. Any updates on this matter?

Running a windows 8.1 machine

i7 4790k CPU

Gtx 970 GPU

32gb ram

• 17. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                          Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Todd,

So, we're at 13.2.0.49 now and I've seen no movement on addressing the flickering issue. Just to further solidify my position that this is not as much of a random thing as you think, the same issue is happening here on a completely different windows machine. Different motherboard, different processor (i7 instead of Xeon), different amount of ram, and (slightly) different GPU. The GPU is a Titan Black. Any plans to further explore this issue?

Thanks

Chris

• 18. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                            huckleberrylain

I am also having this issue.  I just moved over from an HP laptop with a poor intel graphics card to an Asus with a brilliant Geforece GTX 980MThe HP never had this issue and my Asus is constantly having this issue.  I don't believe there was an update to AE since I switched computers just about a month ago, but I could be mistaken.  So, I'm running the same version of AE.

This is rather disconcerting especially since there seems to be no activity in this thread...which to me says Adobe is not working on this issue

• 20. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                              Mister Lortie Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Hi Todd,

I'm having a similar bug at the moment. When AE tries to update a frame in the viewport, the whole screen flickers (actually flickers through every window screen available from the system). This happens 4x-5x times a day now. When this happens CPU is 50% loaded, RAM 85%. I have found that by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL to access the program manager stops the flickering. Although, there is no way I have found to prevent it. Should be noted that the current project is pretty heavy  (many precomps and wide pixelspace (7K+).

System info:

Win 8.1 + CC2014
                                              i7 5930K (OC +20%)

GTX 760

ASUS x99 Deluxe

32 RAM DDR4

I may provide more info if needed.

• 21. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                Mister Lortie Level 1

Well I though the CPU was only half loaded when flickering, but then I noticed a short peak point on all cores every time that happens. The curve always looks very thin from 0% to 100%, with a sharp drop and then everything flickers like the video provided earlier.  I really don't know if that might be useful, but it tends to what Todd was supposing from the start, which is a complete saturation, only for a very short while like a CPU hiccup.  

cpu_GRAPH.jpg

Notes: This graph was taken while rendering frames. Z is a cache disk in case you're all wondering.

• 22. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                  Chris Tomberlin Level 1

Frankly, I CAN'T GET after effects to saturate my CPUs. With a dual 10-core Xeon setup, it just doesn't usually come anywhere close. However, it's possible I've missed the brief peaks that you've seen. I'll take a closer look at task manager when this happens and report back.

• 23. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                    Mister Lortie Level 1

I've only noticed because pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL seems to stop the flickering. So whenever that happened, I had this graph in front of me, and these peaks were always there. My setup is a little different with a 6-cores i7 5930K, so it is interesting this happens with different CPU architectures. However, I'm certainly not an expert, but I thought this information could add to the troubleshooting/debugging process. 

Now, can someone at Adobe please take the lead on that issue? ...It's driving us nuts!

• 24. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it do it in CC 2015?

(Make sure, if you update to CC 2015, that you uncheck the box in the advanced settings because you DON'T want it removing your older CC versions)

• 25. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                        Mister Lortie Level 1

Thanks for suggesting. So I've been working today with CC 2015, and the flickering hasn't happened yet (as opposed to 100% of the times in CC2014). Reading the notes, I see that the preview features are being under major re-construction so that might have helped improved the situation. However, a lot of features are missing in the latest release to be fully productive and so, I will still have to go back and forth between versions.

I'll keep you posted with my situation.

Thanks!

• 26. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy

Working with both is actually a recommended workflow. Use the nice expression enhancements, uninterrupted preview, etc. in 2015 then jump to 2014 for multiprocessing render! It's really nice that project files are compatible between the two.

• 27. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                            Mister Lortie Level 1

Thanks for your recommendation on how to use the versions available. However, it sounds more like a workaround than a recommendable workflow. To avoid licensing problems with 3rd party plugins, and that includes Cineware, you need to promptly shut the other down. That can get time consuming and rather cumbersome over the day. And by going back to CC2014, that flickering still awaits you at every corner, even when rendering.

We'll need AE2015 to be feature complete, and hopefully, that flickering will be gone with it.

• 28. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                              Biomanniax2000

hi just jumping in because the freezing and flickering is happening to me too all of sudden (AE CC 2014 / Last update / Win 10 / grafx driver updated) it's driving me nuts as i cant actually not work properly (and on a tight deadline as usual...) Did anyone at adobe figure this thing out ?

and btw i do notice a small peak in CPU performance when this is happening.

• 29. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy

Biomanniax2000 wrote:

hi just jumping in because the freezing and flickering is happening to me too all of sudden (AE CC 2014 / Last update / Win 10 / grafx driver updated) ...

That sounds really frustrating.

Have you tried CC 2015 on your machine?

• 30. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                                  Biomanniax2000 Level 1

no will try that now.... i'm loosing my mind. just clicking on a keyframe freezes the whole damn thing... its almost impossible to work properly.

• 32. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                                    dougm94400056

Flickering here is worse than ever.  AE effectively unusable at this point.  Starting to look at alternative softwares  this has been a terrible bug for 3 versions now.

• 33. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                                      Dons2004

This is the first time I have this but it makes doing anything unbearable. Every time I click on a key frame or try to edit anything my After Effects flashes like this. Haven't been able to do anything about it and I cannot get on with my project like this.

• 34. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                                        ColourShockMedia

Confirming this fixes the problem. Thank you!

• 35. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                                          bertp5625049

Hi ColourShockMedia, how did you fix the problem?

I'm using CS 6 on my new computer and getting flickering like crazy as new "empty" windows or applications are opening in the background. I can see empty shells of application in the taskbar.

My AE project is simple, just simple trapcode particles.

• 36. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy

bertp5625049 wrote:

Hi ColourShockMedia, how did you fix the problem?

I'm using CS 6 on my new computer and getting flickering like crazy as new "empty" windows or applications are opening in the background. I can see empty shells of application in the taskbar.

My AE project is simple, just simple trapcode particles.

Looks like ColourShockMedia was responding to this post in the thread from ryanb.

• 37. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                                              naseebo83829239

in windows

type in start "mouse ",mouse windows is appeared=>pointers=>select working in background=>click browse button,select the first one "aero_arrow"=>open=>apply=>ok

• 38. Re: AE freezing & flickering like crazy
                                                                                naseebo83829239 Level 1

in windows

type in start "mouse ",mouse windows is appeared=>pointers=>select working in background=>click browse button,select the first one "aero_arrow"=>open=>apply=>ok