5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2013 12:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Weird Black Screen with Color Spots

MHPage12

I recorded some gameplay for my youtube channel and everytime I import a file into my Adobe Premiere Elements 12 program I keep getting this really weird screen. It is also in the PIP. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Premiere Screw up Thing.PNG

I can still here the audio in the background.

• 1. Re: Weird Black Screen with Color Spots
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MHPage12

The first thing we will need to know is what are the properties of these "recorded game plays", for example, video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio.... What was used to make these recordings?

What are you or the program selecting as the project preset for this source based on its properties?

Is the problem restricted to this one source format or to all imports into Premiere Elements 12?

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card? With this particular matter, how do we characterize it "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before".

Let us start here and then decide what next.

ATR

• 2. Re: Weird Black Screen with Color Spots
            MHPage12 Level 1

Video and Audio Compression: Most likely the Lossy Compresion.

Frame Size: 854x480

Frame Rate: 30

Interlaced or Progressive: Do not know.

file extension: AVI

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Do not know.

What do you mean project preset?

Video Card Driver is up to date.

The problem seems to persist with AVI's; however, that is the only video file I import.

It worked once. I messed up and could not figure out how to fix it. Then I relaunched and imported again and it happened. After retrying a few times I restarted my computer and it fixed it the first time I relaunched.

• 3. Re: Weird Black Screen with Color Spots
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Video and Audio Compression: Most likely the Lossy Compresion.

If you run one of those AVI files through either G-Spot, or MediaInfo, you should be able to get the full specs., such as CODEC used, etc..

Frame Size: 854x480

That is an odd Frame Size. Is this from a video screen-cap program, or similar?

If you can let us know a bit more, like the CODEC in the AVI wrapper, others can probably help you most quickly.

My guess would Xvid, or DivX as the CODEDC, and those could well be the cause of the problems, but without confirmation, it is but a guess.

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Weird Black Screen with Color Spots
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>What do you mean project preset?

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links to information about setting up your project

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read -read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to return file details

• 5. Re: Weird Black Screen with Color Spots
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MHPage12

Thanks for the follow up information. We do need a bit more to try to understand what/why you are getting that odd display.

But what I find intriguing is the fact that

a. "It worked once." coupled with

b. "After retrying a few times I restarted my computer and it fixed it the first time I relaunched."

At the present time what is the status of the issue? Are you now importing this .avi video into Premiere Elements and you are getting the display of the expected video content and not the distortion in your posted screenshot.

Let us see if we can put some more information together, especially the information that you said that you did not know.

a. Pixel Aspect Ratio. After you import your video and have it in the Media area, right click it and select Properties. The pixel aspect ratio should be listed there. I am suspecting that you will find Square Pixels (1.0). But let us see.

b. We need to know the video and audio compression that is wrapped with this .avi format. When you are recording your games, who is setting the settings for the recording, you or the recording devices? Does the recording settings display this type of information? If not, then please download and install the free codec utility named gspot

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

and let us know the readout for your video in the utilitity's field for Video Name, Code, and Status as well as Audio Name, Code, and Status. This is important information. If you need any help using the utility, we will help you with it. But, it is a fairly staightt forward program.

c. Do you have any control over the settings for the recorder of your .games? If so, what are they? What is the name of the recording device that you are using?

d. Again, you said it worked once. You also said that you messed up after that. In what way did you mess up? What were you doing in Premiere Elements when the problems developed?

Please review the above and then we can decide what next based on your details.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR