4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2013 1:27 PM by Ellis home

Need help exporting ID file with TOC to EPUB.

lrcastle

I've been troubleshooting a file created in ID CS5.5 and then moved to CC. When I export to EPUB the TOC ends up at the end of the file rather than at the point where I originally inserted the TOC. The vendor I'm sending the EPUB to won't accept a file with the TOC out of place. I tried exporting to an HTML editor and moving the TOC there. (I'm no whiz at HTML though.) Now I see no way to import the file back into ID to export it as EPUB ( and doubt that's the best way to deal with this anyway). I'd deeply appreciate any suggestions!

• 1. Re: Need help exporting ID file with TOC to EPUB.
          Ellis home Level 4

But you must have the original file in ID right? To my knowledge there's no way to import back into ID from EPUB.

• 2. Re: Need help exporting ID file with TOC to EPUB.
            Kai Rübsamen Adobe Community Professional

First of all, a TOC is not only "The Toc". You need to distinguish between the dynamic Reader TOC and a optional TOC e.g. on page 3. While the first is generally required, the second is optional in most cases.

You must also distinguish whether the export is EPUB 2 or EPUB 3.

1. Assume you mean the dynamic TOC > InDesign will create the TOC on the right place, if you choose the TOC-Style during the export.

2. Assume you mean the TOC on page 3 > Here the content- or article-order is important! If you have a threaded story from page 2-100 and your TOC as a single frame on page 3 > InDesign will first export the content on page 2 AND the content of all threaded frames and at least your TOC on page 3.

3. Assume further your exported file is correct in most cases, you can change the order of your TOC in the EPUB directly in the content.opf file in the spine-area

To give you more help, I must have a look at your file.

Kai Rübsamen

• 3. Re: Need help exporting ID file with TOC to EPUB.
              lrcastle Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me. My solution (for now) was to export the file as an interactive PDF and pay a vendor to convert it to EPUB from there. Not very satisfactory for the long term but a fix for now. I'm wondering whether I should set up the front matter in future books as separate articles and use the articles panel and then export from there. Any advice?

Warmest regards,

Lana Castle

[Personal information removed by moderator]

• 4. Re: Need help exporting ID file with TOC to EPUB.
                Ellis home Level 4

Usually, you leave the TOC unthreaded.