10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2013 1:51 PM by Grousehunter 12

Gpu info ?

Grousehunter 12

Asked these questions in the PS forum and got no replies , think I might do better here . I need to purchase a new GPU for a new Asus PA279Q monltor. I can't see not taking advantage of it's 30 bit ability . I want a card that will not be a bottleneck ln PS CC .

Gpu's that do 30 bit in PS CC ? Are the mid-range cards better than the lower end cards for PS CC ? My old card is a Geforce GTX 260 with the latest drivers , I do no gaming , PS CC seems to work fine what little I have played with it . Am I correct in thinking that only Quadro or FirePro cards do 30 bit in PS CC ? How much does the amount of memory in the card play in performance ? Why do these cards cost so much compared to much better performing gaming cards ? Can LR 5 do 30 bit ?  Thanks !!

• 1. Re: Gpu info ?
          cc_merchant Level 4

See Tweakers Page - Balanced Systems and scroll down about 2/3's of the page.

• 2. Re: Gpu info ?
            Grousehunter 12 Level 1

What ? Maybe I just don't get it , is this SPAM ? This had nothing to do with any  of my questions . As far as I can tell none of the listed cards will do 10 bit color in PS CC .

• 3. Re: Gpu info ?
              RjL190365 Level 4

You posted this question in the wrong forum. This is for hardware for Premiere Pro, not Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Gpu info ?
                Grousehunter 12 Level 1

I know , first thing I said . Card should be the same spec's for photo or video editing . No ? No one edits video in 10 bit color ? These are questions , I don't do video , I am sure some video editors do both . Photoshop has no hardware forum as Premiere Pro does or at least none that I could find . I did a search on Adobe and several search engines all have conflicting info that dates back at least a year . We both know that these machines are outdated the minute we walk out of the door .

RjL190365 wrote:

You posted this question in the wrong forum. This is for hardware for Premiere Pro, not Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Gpu info ?
                  cc_merchant Level 4

Qoute from the link I gave, which you apparently did not read:

Note that there are no Quadro cards included in this overview for the simple reason that all Quadro cards are way overpriced and underperforming in comparison to the GeForce cards. The ONLY reason one may choose a Quadro card over a GeForce card is when 10 bit output to a costly 10 bit monitor is required. See the graph below. Based on August 2013 prices in Europe excluding VAT and only comparing to GeForce cards that perform equal or better than the Quadro card in question. The Green bars show the relative performance index of the GeForce card when compared to the Quadro card. So for example, the GTX 760 is 11% faster than the K5000, despite being almost 1/8 of the price. The Red bars show how much more the Quadro cards cost compared to similar performing GeForce cards.

• 6. Re: Gpu info ?
                    Grousehunter 12 Level 1

I did read it and understood it . I stated I needed a card for a 10 bit monitor , your link states that none of the GeForce cards do 10 bit , it does not say if any other cards other than Quadro might . I asked why Quadro and FirePro cards that performed on a much lower level cost so much more , your link only stated that the Quadro was much less of a " Bang for the Buck " compared to a GeForce card . It does not say why . FirePro is not compared to any card . The link does not compare any cards that are capable of 30 bit output , it also does not say how big a part a GPU plays in Photoshop editing , Photoshop has a requirement for memory on the card , it does not say if you have 400% of that requirement you will see a 50% or a 5% increase in performance . Somebody here knows what one might see as a rough performance increase . THANKS, for trying to help . I would not touch a Quadro or FirePro if the GeForce cards would do 30 bit output from Adobe . Nvida's website states that only their Quadro cards do 30 bit output from Adobe , that statement is almost 2.5 years old . Still true ? Who knows . I would guess that GeForce cards could do 10 bit in Adobe , if they suppled drivers that were capable of it . I think they do 10 bit gaming .

• 7. Re: Gpu info ?
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Grousehunter,

Wow, you've asked a lot of questions here. Let me try to help with what I can, and then I will plead ignorant on the rest.

Regarding 30-bit color, both ATI FirePro and nVidia Quadro offer this feature. I would not suggest going less expensive than either of those product lines offerings than their cards with GDDR5 memory. Years ago I actually upgraded to a GTX 260 just to get 2D memory speed to speed up the culling photo step for shoots where I had 500 or more phots to go through. Without pouring over specs., I would expect that today's GDDR5 offerings would be plenty fast, whereas the lower price point DDR3 cards may not even be as fast with memory bandwidth as your older but gamer's series GTX 260.

So, this would be putting you into the $350 and up video card catagory just to get the additional "bits". Regarding your question do other cards offer 30-bit, I would say probably not, but even if there were you should stick with one of the major two due to driver quality.

Why are the "workstation" cards so much more expensive than gamer's cards? There are many theories on the www: marketing, supply and demand, needless markup, etc. My belief is supply and demand -- they sell so many less of the workstation cards that they have to charge more for those models. Regarding bang-for-the-buck, clearly the gamer's cards provide much more, but no they do not have EVERY feature of the workstation models.

Finally, does LR5 support 30-bit color, I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that it does. The 30-bit compatibility link seems to be between the Operating System, the drivers, the GPU hardware, and the monitor.

Regards,

Jim

• 8. Re: Gpu info ?
                        Grousehunter 12 Level 1

JEShort01 wrote:

Grousehunter,

Wow, you've asked a lot of questions here. Let me try to help with what I can, and then I will plead ignorant on the rest.

Regarding 30-bit color, both ATI FirePro and nVidia Quadro offer this feature. I would not suggest going less expensive than either of those product lines offerings than their cards with GDDR5 memory. Years ago I actually upgraded to a GTX 260 just to get 2D memory speed to speed up the culling photo step for shoots where I had 500 or more phots to go through. Without pouring over specs., I would expect that today's GDDR5 offerings would be plenty fast, whereas the lower price point DDR3 cards may not even be as fast with memory bandwidth as your older but gamer's series GTX 260.

So, this would be putting you into the $350 and up video card catagory just to get the additional "bits". Regarding your question do other cards offer 30-bit, I would say probably not, but even if there were you should stick with one of the major two due to driver quality.

Why are the "workstation" cards so much more expensive than gamer's cards? There are many theories on the www: marketing, supply and demand, needless markup, etc. My belief is supply and demand -- they sell so many less of the workstation cards that they have to charge more for those models. Regarding bang-for-the-buck, clearly the gamer's cards provide much more, but no they do not have EVERY feature of the workstation models.

Finally, does LR5 support 30-bit color, I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that it does. The 30-bit compatibility link seems to be between the Operating System, the drivers, the GPU hardware, and the monitor.

Regards,

Jim

Thank You. I would not even consider other cards . I just don't want to wind up with a card that is a bottleneck in the editing of 24-36 mega-pixel files . In these earliest stages of research AMD's FirePro v7900 is looking good . Someone here might be able to comfirm if this is a good choice . I found one source that said LR5 did 30 bit in develope mode only , that would work just fine for me .

• 9. Re: Gpu info ?
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding video RAM, that can be important - you certainly need "enough". You will need to consider however the needs of you monitor or monitors (native resolution and color depth) to size up the VRAM requirements; I dont' think that the size of the image itself is important for Photoshop or LR (like it is for Premiere Pro).

Jim

• 10. Re: Gpu info ?
                            Grousehunter 12 Level 1

JEShort01 wrote:

Regarding video RAM, that can be important - you certainly need "enough". You will need to consider however the needs of you monitor or monitors (native resolution and color depth) to size up the VRAM requirements; I dont' think that the size of the image itself is important for Photoshop or LR (like it is for Premiere Pro).

Jim

Thanks again . If true , that tells me that Lightroom and Photoshop gain very little performance from the GPU . I have found a couple of sources that confirmed that to be the case with Lightroom . Information about GPU and Photoshop performance is harder to confirm . Most sources say both programs are much more dependent on CPU , disk speed and space ,and maxed out Ram Memory , for performance .