6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2013 8:34 AM by p.pik

no thumbnails in PRE12 for m2t hdv files

p.pik

Hi folks

I have similar issue as some others and did not reslolve it with information from other threads. HDV from Canon HV40 camera either directly read by PRE or prepared by HDVsplit can be played and used in timeline or project but in Organizer thumbnails are without pictures. Thumbnails in project data window are OK but too big to be used. In PRE3 thumbnails could be set to small and therefore they were managable but this option is missing in PRE11 and 12.

W7, recent freshly installed Quicktime (7.7.4). Uninstalled Haali media splitter, Uninstalled ffdshow. Uninstalled VLC player.

When I made m2t file from footage with PRE12 it worked on Organizer correctly, but when the file is from camera, even donloaded with PRE, it does not work.

I do not want reinstall Windows as a last resort as other programs like Powerdirector worked (it is gone half a year ago because I prefer PRE for some neat features but without resolving this issue PRE is unworkable).

Thanks for hints.

Petr

• 1. Re: no thumbnails in PRE12 for m2t hdv files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When I made m2t file from footage with PRE12 it worked on Organizer correctly, but when the file is from camera, even donloaded with PRE, it does not work.

When you say "does not work" do you mean that it won't load into the Project Assets or that it loads but without audio or video?

• 2. Re: no thumbnails in PRE12 for m2t hdv files
            p.pik Level 1

The clips load in PRE without problem. In project assets (probably, because in czech version it is named differently) are thumbnails OK but they are to big to be handled (especially when there is 100+ of them) and can not be made smaller. I presume that Adobe expects that organizing clips will be performed in Organizer and in it thumbnails from camera are without pictures, with just the film icon on each. Therefore one can not tell what is in the clip without doubleclick on it and previewing, which is terribly inconvenient.

• 3. Re: no thumbnails in PRE12 for m2t hdv files
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you click on the Panel Options in the upper right corner of the Project Assets panel you can set the display of the thumbnails to List View.

They will list and they should be more manageable than in Icon View.

You can also drag on the lower right corner of the Project Assets panel to make it much larger.

• 4. Re: no thumbnails in PRE12 for m2t hdv files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

p.pik

Premiere Elements Windows Project Assets

I am not sure if your target question is really about thumbnails in Project Assets or not. Or is the target rather an aside comment to your real problem display of MPEG2.mpg or MPEG2.m2t in thumbnails representing your HDV files in the Elements Organizer 12?

Assuming for the moment that your target is the size of the thumbnails in the Premiere Elements 12 Projects Assets.

a. Project Assets has two different views, List and Grid (block looking). When you are in the List view, you can right click on a blank space in that area to get a pop up which includes an option for thumbnail size (Off, Small, Medium, or Large).

b. Also, did you know that you can organize your Project Assets contents into folders?

Elements Organizer 12

a. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the issue (no first frame of video in Elements Organizer 12 thumbnail) resides only with HDV from your camera.

In the case of HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Windows (MPEG2.mpg on the Timeline)

or

In the case of HDV data capture firewire into HDVSplit, followed by import of the MPEG2.m2t files into a Premiere Elements HDV project (MPEG2.m2t on the Timeline).

b. Yet you say that, if you export a Timeline content to MPEG2.m2t saved to the computer hard drive, there is no problem in the representation of it (first frame view et al) in Elements Organizer 12.

I do not have a sample file from your Canon camera. And, when I export my Premiere Elements 12 Timeline to MPEG2.m2t and bring that saved file to the Elements Organizer 12 (File Menu/Photos and Videos/fro...), the Elements Organizer 12 crashes specific to that file. On the other hand, I can import that same MPEG2.m2t into a Premiere Elements 12 project without problem. And, it automatically is placed in the Elements Organizer 12 (thumbnail with gray content). If I right click that thumbnail and select Update Thumbnail, the Elements Organizer 12 crashes.

More work needs to be done to define this issue further.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: no thumbnails in PRE12 for m2t hdv files
                  p.pik Level 1

Thanks.

I used Premiere Elements 3 for almost 10 years so I know thumbnails and list view in Project Assets window. With larger projects I have almost 1000 clips so I normally put them into separate folders and subfolders. But it is really difficult if impossible task with list view which can accomodate maximally about 20-30 lines (clips) and the same applies to the large thumbnails. With Project Assets window enlarged to entire screen there is only about 50 clips/folders visible.

I presumed that clips shall be organised in Organizer but I can not see pictures in icons. That is my problem.

Thank you anyway.

• 6. Re: no thumbnails in PRE12 for m2t hdv files
                    p.pik Level 1

Hi

No my target question is about pictures in Organizer thumbnails.

regarding your answers:

Project Assets

a) I know about resizing in List View, the same option was in icon view before but from whatever reason Adobe decided to remove it.

b) Yes I know. With larger project (1000+ clips) without organising to folders is nightmare. That is what I liked in PRE. But as I wrote before, with only largest icon thumbnails available, it starts to be rather difficult. I used to put about 20 clips together in icon view and transfer them in timeline at once, which is now impossible.

Elements Organizer

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the issue (no first frame of video in Elements Organizer 12 thumbnail) resides only with HDV from your camera.

Yes you are right.

Yet you say that, if you export a Timeline content to MPEG2.m2t saved to the computer hard drive, there is no problem in the representation of it (first frame view et al) in Elements Organizer 12.

Yes. The Organizer is rather picky about files. I uploaded 3 files in Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu0b7jpf3i50w76/test.zip

Clips named kaz*** do not show first frame in Organizer thumbnails, although they load into Project assets correctly. clip test.mpeg which is produced by exporting from PRE 12 timeline shows first frame in Organizer thumbnail correctly.

Gspot does not show any differences betveen those files.

I do not want to reinstall Windows as I am not sure if it can resolve issue with Organizer.

Thanks