[Moved to Hardware forum.]
Buy a Desktop Video Editing PC http://www.adkvideoediting.com/
-ADK Kudos http://forums.adobe.com/thread/877201
Here Build a Desktop Video Editing PC
-3 price level ideas in http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM
-what PC to build http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947698
-2 how to build videos http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1104182
-another video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1145366
-another video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1132363
-planning & Building http://ppbm7.com/index.php/intro-part-1
-memory for LGA2011 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1098759
-an Adobe FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878520
-several more links http://forums.adobe.com/thread/815798
-build tuning http://ppbm7.com/index.php/final-results
Laptop Video Editing PC
Your question is not complete without mentioning several important aspects of your workflow:
- what media? (SD, AVCHD, GoPro, DSLR, etc.)
- how many video layers? (assume one here; lower thirds, etc. are graphics layers, not video layers)
- how long are your projects? (i.e. 3 min. videos for YouTube, or 80 minute vacation videos, etc.)
Also, I use Premiere Pro lots and After Effects only a little (full disclosure), and I like to prepare lower thirds in Photoshop and simply add them as a layer in Premiere Pro. If this workflow sounds good to you too, you will likely want a hardware solution that includes a Premiere Pro compatible graphics processor (gpu) in your new PC/laptop.
You can find laptops that work well with Premiere Pro (and After Effects), but they are quite a bit more expensive than a similar performing laptop.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my question. I have heard a number of people say they use Photo Shop for lower thirds, since my artisitc talent level is about a 1 on a scale of 10 I normally just buy nice AE templates and do minor editing within those.
But as far as your specific questions.
1. I do use a DSLR (Canon T2I), and since I am posting most of my videos to YouTube and Vimeo I rarely need HD.
2. I can't imagine needing more than one layer. Two would probably equal something about as "tricked out" as I will ever want to get.
3. Most of my vidoes will be under 2 minuts, probably closer to 1 minute. Just a head shot and a person talking about who they are and what they do.
Thank you again for taking the time to read and help me out. I appreciate it.
For that I would suggest thinking along the lines of:
- 16 or 32GB of RAM; AE loves RAM, however, most laptops top out at around 16GB
- quad-core Intel CPU that does support hyperthreading
- nVidia GTX 760 video card (if you go with a desktop)
- GTX ??? w/ 1GB or larger hardware memory (for a laptop)
- desktop drives: 128GB or 256GB Samsung 840 Pro boot drive + 7200rpm 1TB or larger 2nd drive
- laptop drives: single 512GB or larger SSD
What "price point" did you have in mind for this? And how important is the mobility of the laptop option?