10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2013 8:49 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem reading AVI  File

Kavinsky69 Level 1

Hi,

I'm using PE 10 and I was working on a project with some AVI files on my old computer and everything was running fine.

I changed got a new computer, install again PE10 but now when I'm trying to import AVI file he dosen't work anymore and I code the error "Codec is not installed"

I read this article but he didn't really help me much.

I used GSpot and he is telling me the MJPG is installed. So I don't understand why this is not working.

I also used GSpot to compare the list of codec I had on my old and new computer. I can see I had the AMD MJPEG Decoder on the old one but not the new.

So I tried to install this Codec but I couldn't find it so I'm not sure the problem is coming from this.

Find attached the two print screens of GSpot. First one is my old computer and second one the new computer.

Old.png New.png

Thanks for helping, this stuff is starting to make me crazy!

Kavinsky69

• 1. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your AVI uses the MJPEG codec, which Premiere Elements can not work with. (This is a common video format on many still cameras.)

I recommend you load the video in Windows MovieMaker Live and then output it as an MP4 from there. Premiere Elements will be able to work with this MP4.

• 2. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Kavinsky69

If your source is MotionJPEG.avi, there are at least two other possibilities often suggested

a. look for a utility that came with your camera to provide the codec(s) needed

b. download and install the Morgan MotionJPEG codec (it is not free, but offers a tryout...if the tryout works, then you can consider if purchase is worth the investment for you)

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

Please let us know what worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...often it has been reported that this type of issue goes to the availability of the codec to Premiere Elements, not necessary whether or not it is installed. The Morgan MotionJPEG codec try should not be disregarded because of your current try to use codec from another computer.

• 3. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As has been noted, it is not a lack of MJPEG, per se, but the RIGHT MJPEG, that is likely behind the problem. Each camera mfgr. is prone to tweak the older MJPEG CODEC, to suit their purposes, leading to the potential for many MJPEG variants needed.

I give a +1 to ATR's suggestions. The Morgan MJPEG CODEC is a very good generic MJPEG CODEC, and often is all that is needed. If that does not help, then I strongly suggest his directions for finding the particular MJPEG CODEC from your specific camera. Most mfgrs. WILL include their tweaked version, but there are three places, where one might find it, and seldom any indication of where: some include their MJPEG CODEC as a separate install (not that common, though it should be), included with the camera's driver (a bit more common, but still not THAT often), installed with some utility/editor, included with the camera (most common, but if one is not planning on using that utility/editor, rather counter-intuitive).

I have three cameras that shoot MJPEG, and each camera uses a slightly different version. I have the utility/editor for each camera installed, though I do not use them. I also have Morgan, MainConcept and Apple's MJPEG CODEC. At this point, I am covered - until I get a new camera, that shoots MJPEG, and then I might need to install yet another utility - if the camera's version of MJPEG is not compatible with what I already have.

My humble plea to camera mfgrs. is to include THEIR specific version of MJPEG as a separate CODEC install, and not force customers to install a bunch of software, that probably will not be used - so far, few bother, but it would be so very easy.

In your case, I can only assume that you DID have the proper MJPEG CODEC installed on the older computer, but not yet on the newer one.

Good luck, and please let us know if you are able to install the particular MJPEG CODEC needed.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
                Kavinsky69 Level 1

Thanks for your answer but I used my AVI video on my previous computer and it worked fine. Also I know I can't convert them but it's a big project and I don't really want to remove all my avi videos because it's gonna take a while.

• 5. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
                  Kavinsky69 Level 1

Thanks for your answer, I got this video from a friend so It's not my own camera.

I already installed the Morgan MPEG codec as you can see in the 2nd screensho from GSpot but nothing changed.

What else can i do?

• 6. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I used my AVI video on my previous computer and it worked fine.

That was because you had the proper MJPEG CODEC, one that PrE could access and use, on the older computer.

It appears that you do not have that on the newer one.

If you correct that, the files should work fine on the new computer. ATR has given you instructions, that should get the necessary MJPEG CODEC onto the new computer, and then, you should be able to Import and edit those files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
                      Kavinsky69 Level 1

Thanks Bill but as I said in my previous answer

I got this video from a friend so It's not my own camera.

I already installed the Morgan MPEG codec as you can see in the 2nd screensho from GSpot but nothing changed.

What else can i do?

• 8. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I got this video from a friend so It's not my own camera.

What else can i do?

In his instructions, ATR pointed out (as did I), that often the particular, necessary MJPEG CODEC is available on the utiltiy disc, included with the camera.

The two choices, that I see, are to borrow that utiltiy disc from your friend, and install the CODEC, probably included with some utiltiy on that disc, and probably an editing program, or cataloging program, or to use your old computer, with that MJPEG CODEC installed in the OS, to do the Import and editing.

Depending on the camera (which make and model is that?), you might be able to download and install the necessary utility program, adding the necessary MJPEG CODEC to your OS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
                          Kavinsky69 Level 1

I don' t think I could get the utility disc from my friend because this option is to complicated..

And I can't go back to my old computer because it's not powerfull enough fro video editing.

Maybe I don't really understand how it's working but Is it not possible to know which codec to use by comparing my old laptop and my new one?

• 10. Re: Problem reading AVI  File
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Is it not possible to know which codec to use by comparing my old laptop and my new one?

I would start with the make and model of that camera. Then, I would go to the mfgr's. Web site, to see if they offer the necessary utility as a download. If so, that should install the correct MJPEG CODEC into the system.

Barring that, you can likely run G-Spot, or Sherlock the CODEC Detective (also free), on the old computer, to find ALL of the installed MJPEG CODEC's. Then, find and install, all that are missing on the new computer. As I mentioned, I have one from Canon, one from Panasonic, one from Nikon, Morgan, MainConcept and Apple - all MJPEG CODEC's, but the first three are camera-specific, while the latter three are generic.

Good luck,

Hunt