3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 10:20 AM by rob day

Help with gutter on children's picture book?

Timberwind

I am attemtping to lay out my first children's book in Indesign. I will be printing with Lightning Source (POD). The dimentions are 8.5 X 8.5. A 0.125 bleed is required for the pictures,(pics will be on the left, with text on the right). LS also requires a 0.125 gutter be applied, as apparently if there is any ink along the inside border, the glue won't stick.  I've set up it my document with a 0.125 bleed all around, as well as 0.125 gutter. My question is this-when I drop my picture in, do I drag it to the black center line between the two pages on the screen? Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I just want it to be right. Also, if I attempt to remove the bleed from the inside margin, they all disappear. Please advise. Any other advice for a first time user with no training, but a strong desire to do my own layouts, would be most welcome.

• 1. Re: Help with gutter on children's picture book?
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've set up it my document with a 0.125 bleed all around, as well as 0.125 gutter....

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I just want it to be right.

You probably want to check with Lightning Source's tech support or see if they have a template.

If by gutter you mean you've added .125" to the trim so the page is now 8.625 horizontal then I don't think you want an additional inside bleed because the .125 you've added manually is acting like the bleed. So if the trim really is 8.5" x 8.5" you would leave the inside bleed to 0" like this, where I've added the .125 to the page with manual trim marks at 8.5" and 0" in the slug:

Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 1.21.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 1.22.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 1.23.03 PM.png

• 2. Re: Help with gutter on children's picture book?
            ealincoln

Hi Tmberwind,

Did this work for you?  I am having a similar issue, however my book has photos that spand over 2 pages.  I see that it has a gutter in design but lightingsource said it needs to be white and rejected the file.

Thanks for any input!

E

• 3. Re: Help with gutter on children's picture book?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You would think Lighting Source could build the no ink inside .125" for perfect binding into their imposition. Their file guide page 14:

https://www1.lightningsource.com/ops/files/pod/LSI_FileCreationGuide.pdf

tells you to build an inside blank bleed into the document. They don't want any marks, so for 6x9, your document would be 6.125 x 9 with no inside bleed and you would export using document bleeds:

Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 1.12.22 PM.png

For crossovers you would have to duplicate the placed art and offset it so that you don't lose the center .25":

Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 1.10.25 PM.png